Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Africa

• 27-01-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for posting this here, if there is somewhere more suitable please move it. I didn't post it in the gifts section because I don't need gift advice.

A really good friend of mine is sitting in a hospital in tanga in africa with malaria. She's over doing charity work and her and 3 others caught it but she's the only one still there, and she'll be there until saturday. It's her birthday tomorrow too.

I really want to get something over to her, like a card, chocolates etc, but the post will not get there on time and interflora doesn't exist there.

Does anybody know of an international company who will deliver within a few days? I need to sort something out today!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fed Ex.
    UPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

You could buy it, box it and DHL it but it would probably cost a bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ask her to sneak a monkey back under her vest.

i wants a monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Eh malaria tablets? ... Fed Ex.... Sorted!

pfft.. Fedex?

An Post ftw. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Get them a Toto album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks - I tried DHL UPS & FED EX - 150 was the cheapest.

Homer, what about malaria tablets?

150 postage? jesus that's very high..

this is one of those cases of "is she worth it?" ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

snyper wrote: »
    Ask her to sneak a monkey back under her vest.

i wants a monkey

Have a word with MonkeyFudge, I'm sure he has one spare.

• Advertisement

pfft.. Fedex?

An Post ftw. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah - I forgot about Swfitpost.

That's a brilliant service - always delivers on time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Have a word with MonkeyFudge, I'm sure he has one spare.

No... sorry... none to spare... I go through them so fast.

150 postage? jesus that's very high..

this is one of those cases of "is she worth it?" ..
    It is high isn't it! If I had the money then yeah she's worth it. I haven't seen her in months and wont for another 4, poor thing is all on her own over there feeling. I think a card from home would cheer her up. Unfortunately, I just don't have the money. :(

Would there be anything like interflora or local shops that do deliveries who would take laser. I doubt there will be, apparently a very poor area.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tanga, Tanzania?
    Funny how it's Tanga, Africa :) Like Cork, Europe.

You probably won't get anything there in time unless you courier it.

It is high isn't it! If I had the money then yeah she's worth it. I haven't seen her in months and wont for another 4, poor thing is all on her own over there feeling. I think a card from home would cheer her up. Unfortunately, I just don't have the money. :(

Would there be anything like interflora or local shops that do deliveries who would take laser. I doubt there will be, apparently a very poor area.

Any other suggestions?

An E-card from Blue Mountain?

(Are Blue Mountain still on the go?)

[edit]Yes they are. I didn't know if people still sent E-Cards at all[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

This reminds me of Far Cry 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    This reminds me of Far Cry 2
    why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ring the British embassy in Tanzania they might help you out

http://ukintanzania.fco.gov.uk/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A really good friend of mine is sitting in a hospital in tanga in africa with malaria.

Then she's probably lying down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

OP, you should be aware that it's common for the post men to go through the stuff that you send over, opening up packages and guesstimating a value on the contents to charge you 'tax' (read "bribe")

I'm not sure if this would be the case in the same area as your friend, but a friend of mine returned from Africa recently also doing charity work and said that the postmen always added on crazy charges just because they could.

In saying that, if the package is being delivered to a hospital it might be fine.

Just so 'ye know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You could try using a pidgeon? Would cost you a lot less, and you would be supplying food to the whole village too, don't think they would eat a Fedex man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You could hire Blackwater, the "security" company, but it would cost more than a couple of Beckham birthday parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Just so you know, Tanga is approx a 5 hour drive from the main city in Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, so anything you send will probably not get there in time at this stage. I don't think any of the local shops in Tanga would take an Irish laser, either, some *may* take Visa but most would be dealing in cash only.

Does she have any internet access at all (am doubting it as internet coverage is not great in certain areas of Tanzania, and I also doubt that the hospital has wifi or anything available for patients), if so, could you upload a short vid to youtube or suchlike with messages from friends etc that she could check out? send her an mms vid if she has a mobile? (mobile coverage is pretty good in Tanga).
    However, if she is away for another 4 months, I am sure she will appreciate a gift at any time in the next month or so, so the costs for sending a small gift wouldn't be as exorbitant as you might expect. However expect for the gift to go missing unless you courier it to be signed for.

biko wrote: »
    Tanga, Tanzania?

I knew it...your username is a ode to your ebu heritage.

Helena why don't you just ring her? It is preety miserable in hospital at the best of time.
    A laugh with a good friend is great medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Phone that Bothar crowd, they might be able to duct-tape the parcel
    to one of the cows they're shipping over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Get her a goat charity card.

I found a place who delivers! A bit dubious about it, so I gave the Oh's CC details instead of mine :D (Joking) It's like interflora. They take orders and process payment and pass it on to other local shops. Thanks for the suggestions.

biko wrote: »
    Tanga, Tanzania?
    OOOH, I said Tanga in Africa because I didn't think the good people of AH would be interested in knowing her exact postal address. However you have astounded me with your vast knowledge of african countries and cities. :p

BTW there are two Tanga's in Tanzania, so which one do you think I was talking about Biko?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

I go through them so fast.

Ew. Poor little things.

• Advertisement

Mirror wrote: »
    why?

You'll probably find Ross_Mahon's sofa, toaster, kettle, cat, chair, bed, lamp and bedroom door also remind him of Far Cry 2. As well as cars, buses, dogs, cats, sponges, tweezers and just about everything he sees and/or experiences during his day.

Too much Far Cry 2 for you Ross_Mahon. Bad Ross_Mahon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sorry for posting this here, if there is somewhere more suitable please move it. I didn't post it in the gifts section because I don't need gift advice.

A really good friend of mine is sitting in a hospital in tanga in africa with malaria. She's over doing charity work and her and 3 others caught it but she's the only one still there, and she'll be there until saturday. It's her birthday tomorrow too.

I really want to get something over to her, like a card, chocolates etc, but the post will not get there on time and interflora doesn't exist there.

Does anybody know of an international company who will deliver within a few days? I need to sort something out today!

How ironic, she is over doing charity work for the Africans and how do they repay her?
    A dose of Malaria!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

walshb wrote: »
    How ironic, she is over doing charity work for the Africans and how do they repay her?
    A dose of Malaria!:rolleyes:

And it is a gift that keeps on giving. :rolleyes:

Malaria is one of thoses sicknesses that comes back every year - some years very mild, some not so mild. :eek:

Helena, tell your firend to remember the aniversary, and make sure she is near a decent hospital each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Tell her to start speaking with a south african accent they love that.

Also +1 on Blackwater:http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/01/blackwater-resc.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

It looks like you can buy something in Tanzania here http://www.shoppingtz.com/

Maybe something under 'links' here... http://www.tzonline.org/websiteslinks.htm

You may find more online shops across the border in Kenya...

EDIT: Maybe post a question here... http://www.alloexpat.com/tanzania_expat_forum/

Advertisement