Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh God..

• 27-01-2009 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

I've just been fired.

I feel sick.

I'm owed over 2k in wages too and I have a feeling I'm not going to get them..

:(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

boardsie08 wrote: »
    Oh God..
    You called?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can you say where you work yet?
    ...or even in what area?

Sorry to hear your bad news by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Fired at midnight? Where do you work...hmmm:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You shouldn't have used Boards in work then...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Oops. I should have read the rest of your post. Hope things pick up for you, Boardsie. What is it you do?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Oops. I should have read the rest of your post. Hope things pick up for you, Boardsie. What is it you do?

never mind the excuses, sort it out God, NOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Sorry about your news Op.
    Why did they fire you, if thats ok to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Why would they not pay you what you're owed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Sorry to hear that op, what do you work at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Jesus, I thought I was going to throw up all over my keyboard there for a minute!

I'm in.. no, no that's not right, I *was* in auditing, feckin' worked my ass off this month travelling up and down the country (no mileage or travel expenses either I might add!) anyways, was trying to log onto the company website all day to upload some work, was unable to.. thought it was a glitch.. finally fired off an e-mail to the tech dept, just got a reply, turns out I've been fired, deleted off the entire database!

No e-mail. No warning. No nothing.

Was working all day today too, don't even know if I'm gonna get paid for todays work now either..

I knew from the start they were lousy employers to say the least and had heard of people being unapolagetically dismissed like I have just.. have to say at the time I found it hard to believe that they'd actually get rid of someone like that with no explanation.. well, it just happened to me!

And get this, it's company policy to never reveal why!!

Aaaaaghhhhhhhhh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

boardsie08 wrote: »
    anyways, was trying to log onto the company website all day to upload some work, was unable to.. thought it was a glitch.. finally fired off an e-mail to the tech dept, just got a reply, turns out I've been fired, deleted off the entire database!

No e-mail. No warning. No nothing.

That reminds me of Office Space. "We fixed the glitch"

Absolutely horrible way to be fired. Is being let go like that without being told even legal? Hope things pick up soon OP.

Surely you could go for unfair dismissal , if they refuse to tell you why you were fired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Maybe I didn't wear enough flair? :o

Well if the op agreed to the company policy in the contract, then he wouldn't have a case.

It's sad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Oh my god, you poor thing, are you ok (ok silly question you are obviously not okay...)

Is that even legal????!!!!! Thats outrageous, no warning nothing! feck! :eek:

Id get on to your solicitor to make sure you get your wages, im sure you must have some kind of case under unfair dismissals act....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Has your boss actually told you this or could it be the IT guys pullin' the p1ss? If they are, it could be them getting fired from HR.

If you have actually been let go in this way, it's highly illegal and you're perfectly within your rights to go through your solicitor.

OP, when you started in your job, was it pointed out to you that the company policy was to not give a reason if they decide to fire you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

loosing your job is a bitch, mines gone in march :(

Not because of this bloody recession but because of a medical thingy i have.

When I was told my job would be gone I felt like my world had ended but really its about perspective. I myself dont have any commitments so I've decided to head back to college, i've even started to learn a language!

Keep your head up OP and you'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Well i'm pretty sure you're entitled to some due process here like two weeks notice at least and they cant withhold your wages either without good reason backed up by evidence.
    Do you have a contract? If you with them for 3 months or more you should i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

any chance your boss called this person?:(

and you are posting hope he will give ya a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Company policy my fcuking hole... It is illegal to fire you and not give you a reason, it is also not a good idea to NOT give you notice... you need legal advice, how long were you working there? What is the name of the company so we do NOT use them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

Hold on a second now.... You got fired and 'its company policy' not to say why?
    Has Ireland suddenly turned into Nazi Germany?
    Of course they have to tell you why...

In other news... I found a job! f**k you recession!
    LOL! Hope OP doesn't see that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Review your contract
    Seek legal advice about the lack of explanation or notice
    Get on the dole
    Start nursing your wounds
    Get back on the horse / start looking for another job

Horrible news, but try and stay positive !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

javaboy wrote: »
    That reminds me of Office Space. "We fixed the glitch"

Burn the building down like Milton! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Awh poor OP, that's horrible news.

Fingers crossed it'll all start looking up for you soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

themadchef wrote: »
    Why would they not pay you what you're owed?
    If the company was bankrupt, or he was working under-the-counter (unlikely given that he is an auditor), they may not pay him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

copacetic wrote: »
    never mind the excuses, sort it out God, NOW!

Omniscient God my ar$e- can't even read a thread properly. :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

ah at least you have been working until now!unlike me!get over it :pac:

• Advertisement

cos!! wrote: »
    ah at least you have been working until now!unlike me!get over it :pac:
    not funny.

very bad new OP.. :( it's cliche advice but this could be your chance to travel etc. if your finances arn't too bad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

So OP is this true or a glich? Have you been contacted by your manager/hr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Sorry to hear that OP.

And like other people have said, seek legal advice.

On the other hand, try to make the most of the extra free time you'll have while you look for another job. Unemployment is pretty depressing if you haven't got any personal goals to work towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Well if the op agreed to the company policy in the contract, then he wouldn't have a case.

That's just not true. Contracts do not override the law.

"Any employee has the right to commit fraud against the government"
    It's in my contract!!!

However if the OP was still on probation, I don't think either party has to give any notice. If you're not on probation then the statutory minimum is one week (unless it was gross misconduct)

Statutory minimum notice
    If you do not have a provision in your contract of employment dealing with notice, the statutory minimum notice of one week will apply and this is the notice that you should give your employer of your intention to leave. The statutory minimum notice of one week, is set down in Section 6 of the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Act, 1973.

Situations where notice is not required
    An employer is entitled to at least one week's notice from an employee who has been working for the employer for 13 weeks or more. If an employee has been working for an employer for less than 13 weeks and has no contractual obligation to give notice then the employee is not obliged to give notice.

An employer is not bound to give an employee the minimum notice of one week if the employee has been working for the employer for less than 13 weeks or in situations where the employee is guilty of gross misconduct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

So sorry to hear this. Do you belong to a union?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Name and shame the employer imo, disgraceful way to treat someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You must've been still on 6/12mth probation (check your contract) in which they can dismiss you without a given reason (most often they will eg unsatisfactory performance). However redundancy is a legitimate reason for dismissal without severance (<2yrs empoyed) but they must give you a reason.

Best of luck and get stuck into the classifieds OP

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

So did your manager or anyone from HR contact you?? Or have yo only heard it from the tech dept??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sounds a bit like the FDC set-up. Went for an interview there once and was glad that I didn't get the job when I found out that I might have to do some work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Sleipnir wrote: »

It's in my contract!!!
    Statutory minimum notice
    If you do not have a provision in your contract of employment dealing with notice, the statutory minimum notice of one week will apply and this is the notice that you should give your employer of your intention to leave. The statutory minimum notice of one week, is set down in Section 6 of the Minimum Notice and Terms of Employment Act, 1973.

Situations where notice is not required
    An employer is entitled to at least one week's notice from an employee who has been working for the employer for 13 weeks or more. If an employee has been working for an employer for less than 13 weeks and has no contractual obligation to give notice then the employee is not obliged to give notice.

An employer is not bound to give an employee the minimum notice of one week if the employee has been working for the employer for less than 13 weeks or in situations where the employee is guilty of gross misconduct.

However if the OP was still on probation, I don't think either party has to give any notice. If you're not on probation then the statutory minimum is one week (unless it was gross misconduct)

I reckon that the part highlighted says that if the contract agrees notice between parties then that is the way it is... if there is NO provision in the contract for it then the defaults are used... or at least thats my understanding.. most if not all contracts have a provision in them which over-rides the defaults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 ast

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/unemployment-and-redundancy/losing-your-job/losing_job_entitlements
    Your contract may give you a greater entitlement to notice than the statutory minimum, but it cannot give you less.

• Advertisement

ast wrote: »

Cheers - I was too lazy to go google it myself... haha

Any update on things OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Cheers - I was too lazy to go google it myself... haha

Any update on things OP?

No word from him since last night. Maybe he's back in work today?

No word from him since last night. Maybe he's back in work today?

Or maybe he went on a killing spree of managers... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

He's probably roaming the streets looking for an open Wifi connection

It's in my contract!!!

I meant if he agreed to the company's policy not to inform him why he was sacked then he won't be able to find this out. He is entitled to notice though unless otherwise stated in a contract or not on probabtion. Sorry for the mix up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

In other news... I found a job! f**k you recession!

Congrats. Do you work in auditing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

That's really crap news, I'm really sorry. It's not the end of the world though. There could well be something better for you round the corner:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wait 2 weeks.

Grow a beard.

Walk into the head office wearing a trench coat and a harbouring a limp.

Insist on seeing the boss.

When the boss comes down, look him right in th eye and tell him you WANT a reason for the termination of your employment as you get increasingly more figity and grasping the side of your jacket to the obvious bulge you have there.

Im thinking when you get the smell of urine being given off by your bosses soiled pantys, you can gt up and walk away..tell him you will be back again.

Advertisement