Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

illness benefit stopped after 2 years

Options
  • 16-06-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

My husband has been on illness benefit for 2 years so they have now stopped his payments. He got a letter 2 months ago telling him to apply for invalidity pension as his benefit was going to end. He applied and we stupidly thought one would run into the other. But last week his money was short and when I rang they said the benefit had ended and there was a backlog with the pension. They couldnt tell me how long he would be waiting but said I should go to the health board and apply for supplementry welfare. I did this ony to be told because I work full time they wont even look at my application! They told me to apply for mortgage supplement but that this could take awhile to come through. I am at my wits end, my wages pay the mortgage and we live ie buy food etc with his benefit. I dont know what to do. I cant say too much to my husband as he feels bad enough for being unable to work. I have already borrowed money off family to pay for our childs communion. Right now we are living on the mortgage money but this is due to be paid by the end of the month. I feel sick just thinking about it. Has anyone any idea of any other thing he could claim, I was wondering about disability allowance would they allow him apply for that in the meantime? Illness benefit are not answering the phone for the last few days so I havent been able to ask them.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

There are enormous backlogs for Disability Allowance at the moment AFAIK. My friend rang re: her application on Tuesday and they said they were only on applications made in January :(
    You need to ring Invalidity Pension section, not Illness Benefit - the illness benefit claim is closed, and they cannot do anything for you.
    How many children do you have? Are your earnings under the limit for Family Income Supplement? Check www.welfare.ie for information on this.

Advertisement