Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 15-06-2011 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Does it take long to come through? I am looking for a new place and just new on the dole myself. But if its something im entitled to i might as well claim it. But if its alot of hassle, is there a point?

Is there much to it? Does it take long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Depends where you live. If you're unlucky enough to be in Wicklow, Kildare or Blanchardstown then it will likely take AT LEAST 2 months. In other parts of the country it can be sorted out in a week, all depends on backlog of the relevant unit.

Have you already been renting for 6 months in private rented accommodation? If not, then you have the added hassle of having to be assessed by your local authority before you can get rent supplement.

For full details see http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I can obviously pick up the forms in the dole office? How much rent is usually paid with the rent allowance?

And regarding proof of renting for the past 6 months, would they accept a back statement, as i paid through my bank account and included the message to appear on the statement as 'rent'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You get the application form through your Community Welfare Officer at your local health clinic, not at the Social Welfare office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I can obviously pick up the forms in the dole office? How much rent is usually paid with the rent allowance?

And regarding proof of renting for the past 6 months, would they accept a back statement, as i paid through my bank account and included the message to appear on the statement as 'rent'.

I suspect they may seek details of the landlord and possibly a letter from them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Each area has a maximum limit and your rent must be below that. Your income will then be assessed to see how much rent you could pay out without falling under an acceptable level to live or whatever.

No, that won't be enough. They will want 6 months of bank statements separately but for proof of rent, you must present your previous lease and 6 months of utility bills for that property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Hi, I sent in my application on a Monday and got a letter back the following Friday saying I'd been approved and I'd get it immediatly.
    I found there was a lot to do to get it ready, few forms to fill out (one must be filled out my your landlord/letting agent), 6 months of statements (if you have any savings it effects the amount you get), bills, lease agreements, welfare reciepts etc etc.
    I'd always suggest applying for it, it can't hurt- but just remember that if you're looking for somewhere new to rent you'll have to tell them you're applying for rent allowance and some landlords won't accept it

Advertisement