Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coq Au Vin - Fish Dish to compliment

Options
  • 05-11-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am having my parents and boyfriends parents for dinner this weekend and will be cooking Coq Au Vin with Celeriac Purree. Unfortunately my mother doesn't eat meat but does eat fish and was looking for suggestions for something to make for her instead of the Coq Au Vin that will go with the theme of the meal and with the side dish.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hake with herb butter?

Would be lovely with celeriac puree.

You can steam, bake, saute or grill the piece of hake. It's easy.

I'd switch everyone to fish btw, instead of doing two dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

pwurple wrote: »
    Hake with herb butter?

Would be lovely with celeriac puree.

You can steam, bake, saute or grill the piece of hake. It's easy.

I'd switch everyone to fish btw, instead of doing two dinners.

Thanks that sounds like a great idea, I hadn't even thought of Hake!

Thought about doing Fish for everyone but for a few reasons have decided against it. Am a bit concerned about large quantities of fish for so many and undercooking/overcooking it. Decent fish would work out more expensive for 6 people than the coq au vin so have a bit more money to play around with to ensure I'm getting a good quality bit for my mother.Also I know depending on the people you are serving fish can be hit and miss and want to ensure that everyone enjoys. Am used to doing 2 dinners in my family though, tends to be the norm. I used to be vegetarian myself and have a few vegetarian friends so usually if its a group bigger than 3 I tend to go the 2 dinner route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

When the fish is cooked here's my go to sauce that's easy and delish (made this last night in fact with Cod).

Simply fry a big knob of butter in a frying pan until it starts to bubble
    Add the juice of a lemon (or lemon juice from a bottle is fine) and cook for 20s or so
    Add in chopped herbs (Swartz or similar is fine) and cook for another 30s or so

Then just tip over the fish and allow to drip onto the plate - great for mopping up the spuds or similar.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Just on the Coq Au Vin...I've recently started making this with white wine rather than red and much prefer it...I find the red wine makes the veg go very dark in colour and a bit off-putting (for me anyhow).

Loire.

Advertisement