Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 18-06-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am finished college and have been on JSA for the last 12 months. I have been offered 3 months work in the USA pretty much as soon as I can go. I am just wondering will I have to sign-off if I was to go and then start a fresh claim when I return?? as I really dont want to go and then come back to waiting weeks to get money from the Social welfare and Id probably be on a lower rate aswell. Any Info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes you will have to sign off.http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/CloseClaimByCounty.aspx

and yes you will have to sign back on when you return from the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

Ok thanks for the Info, I tought as much really didnt expect that you could just freeze it for a couple of months. If I came back as Im under 24 years of age would i be operating off the new rate which is a maximium of 144 euro a week do you know? thats the downside of going is waiting ages to be means tested when I return and then Id probably only get 80 euro a week to live which would be a disaster really!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you are back within 6months the claim will be linked and you should return to the rate you are currently on. You have already been means tested so it is unlikely that you will have to be means tested again therefore your claim should be up and running fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

Cheers Eastbono.. Just wondering where you got that Info from?? as I cant find anything online that says you can link up your claim like you said you can. I think Ill just have to call into the office to find out. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Its some of the info I need to have at my fingertips as part of my job :)

It wont be on the welfare website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

From the operational guidelines:
    The duration of a person's JA claim is recorded in terms of days of unemployment. This cumulative total (CT) is the total number of days of unemployment paid on JA in one continuous period of unemployment.

JA claims are made up of continuous periods of unemployment (CPU). These are periods of at least 3 days of unemployment (excluding Sundays), whether consecutive or not, within a period of six consecutive days. Any two such periods not separated by more than 52 weeks shall be considered the same continuous period of unemployment - this is known as linking the claims. Where two claims are linked the cumulative total number of days is carried from the first claim to the second.

Advertisement