Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowance/opfp

Options
  • 18-02-2011 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi i am receiving rent allowance and opfp at the moment i have found myself a job and myself and my boyfriend and two children will be renting private when my lease is up in april, just wondering how do i go about telling the social i want to come of two payments do i have to give them a certain amount of notice, i have heard a lot of different stories i heard they will make it difficult for me to come off the payments but i cant see this happening if anything i think they should be delighted with me giving them their money back to give to somebody else would anybody know anything about this:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you are in receipt of one parent family phone them and let them know the prospective date that you will be co-habiting and then phone them and give them the definite date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

jent112011 wrote: »
    hi i am receiving rent allowance and opfp at the moment i have found myself a job and myself and my boyfriend and two children will be renting private when my lease is up in april, just wondering how do i go about telling the social i want to come of two payments do i have to give them a certain amount of notice, i have heard a lot of different stories i heard they will make it difficult for me to come off the payments but i cant see this happening if anything i think they should be delighted with me giving them their money back to give to somebody else would anybody know anything about this:confused:
    no problem. regarding OPFP,say your boyfriend is moving in on a, let me see, sunday evening, just pop in to local SW office on the friday previous and tell them what is going to happen. you should be given something to sign, but just to be sure to be sure, i would have something written or typed up just along the lines of, "to whom....
    please accept this as notice that...i, mary ryan ppsn 1234567l no longer wish to be considered eligible for OPFP commencing 1/04/11"or whatever.sign it and date it. have 2 copies of this letter and make sure you get your copy stamped and signed in the SW office. keep your copy in a safe place. if you are asked to sign something insist politely on being given a copy of that as well. this will be your only proof that you did notify sw of your impending change in circumstances.SW offices are extremely busy and very understaffed at the moment. staff are under pressure and things can go missing or get lost like any other office. please be aware that if you get into an overpayment situation with sw, even if its they're "fault" it is still your overpayment and you will have to repay it. i am not now nor have ever been employed by department of social protection.
    regarding rent supplement same applies. do not ring the health centre and leave a message for the CWO regarding your change in circumstances. you must present yourself at the clinic in person. if you absolutely cannot get time off to attend the clinic, then write to him/her but request an acknowledgment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jent112011

thanks for the replies, very helpful:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crewret

hi, i am a single dad and will shortly be assessed by the maintaince recovery unit for maintaince, it seems that all income over Euros 218 per week will be taken off me, i will not be given any allowance for the night and days my child stays with me, this will make it impossible for me to even feed myself, never mind take care of my son when with me, i thought this must be a mistake but it was confirmed with the maintaince recovery unit, it seems crazy but all income over Euros 218 per week will go to repay the opfp paid to my ex, we are not married

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Are you on a SW payment or are you an employee or both? Were you ever paying any maintenance towards your child, court ordered or casual arrangement? Are you living with your parents? Do you pay rent or mortgage at all?

• Advertisement
Advertisement