Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BTEA - secondary school

• 17-06-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Basically when fifth year finished, I (19) left school for two years doing FAS courses and after a lot of thought and reflection, I've realised it was stupid leaving school. I was very short-sighted at that time of my life.Recently, I was talking to Citizen's Advice and said I'd like to go back to school, but probably wouldn't because of the financial hit and they said I can apply for BTEA. I wasn't expecting that to say the least! I mean, money for just going to school? I would of course jump at the opportunity, but it seems too good to be true. Plus, I'm leaving at home with my parents. Then I got on to my local secondary school and the principal said she never heard of it before and although she knows I'm a 'good lad', she was afraid it would set a 'dangerous precedent'. I might have to get Garda vetting. She also needs to consult with the CAO apparently.I should have a reply before next Friday from the school, but I can't wait that long - the waiting is killing me. I need to be put out of my misery, what is everyone's opinions? Do you think I'll get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Grrrrr....apologies for the lack of paragraphs, the messageboard won't let me for reasons best known to itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

You can get BTEA to go back and do your leaving but I don't think you can go to a secondary school, you would do your leaving through the VEC. I know a number of people who did the leaving cert this way. Check your local VEC website for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Thanks for the reply, Trish! My local school is under VEC management. Am I looking good for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I think the majority of secondary schools are under the management of the VEC. What I was talking about were specific leaving cert courses for adults run in adult education centers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Yeah you can. One of my friends (22) did a pretty crap leaving first time around and then did a film FETAC course. However he got sick of that and dropped out and spent the last few years doing part-time work and going on the dole in between times.

He then went from the dole to resit his leaving at a PLC and switched from the dole over to the BTEA and is just finished his LC this week. Apparently it went way better this time and he's pretty optimistic about getting into college now. I'm not sure if he's entitled to claim the BTEA in college though as he'll still be 22 starting and not actually a mature student.

Still, long story short is you can definitely get it for the LC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement