Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to join the guards but cant afford it

Options
  • 07-12-2015 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

Can anyone lend me some advice?

I would like to join the guards and currently i am in full time employment with a child and another on the way. The only thing that is stopping me is the fact the when you are in training you are given an allowance of €184 per week,with a mortgage,loans etc unfortunately my family and I cannot live off this.

how do other people join and survive on this? Are their grants or other allowances people are entitled too?

Any advise of people who went through it and manage to survive?

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Hi OP, I'll move this to Emergency Services where there should be a few posters who have gone through the process themselves who might be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm afraid that is all you get. I don't believe that there are any grants available. Also, what they don't tell you, is that there are some things you need to buy (karate suit, speedos (yes, actual speedos), parade shoes - the uniform will be provided, and a few more i can't think of). The only solace you may have, if you're willing, is that the Credit Unions are very "friendly" when it comes to loans for students, but remember that even though they may only ask for €5 a week, once you get your station and get the "full" wages, they will look for a lot more.

The other thing i want to ask is, why do you want to join? Is there family in the job? Someone you know who you can ask? With the reduced wages, no rent allowence and 5 year contracts (I believe), it's not as appealing as it once was, and in my opinion, no longer worth it. And you have the possibility of being sent anywhere in the country, no matter your circumstances. I believe they try and get you as close to home as possible, but you're not allowed in your own District (which could be huge), and i know of some probationers who have got stations 2.5+ hours away from their families (the ones who have children).

It's not a decision to take lightly, and i would highly recommend having something to fall back on, because it's nothing like anyone will tell you. It's going through an era of "personal responsibility", where your every move is scrutinized after the fact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

hi everyone,

Can anyone lend me some advice?

I would like to join the guards and currently i am in full time employment with a child and another on the way. The only thing that is stopping me is the fact the when you are in training you are given an allowance of €184 per week,with a mortgage,loans etc unfortunately my family and I cannot live off this.

how do other people join and survive on this? Are their grants or other allowances people are entitled too?

Any advise of people who went through it and manage to survive?

I con speak from experience, you would want to have a fair bit of savings in advance. I had about 5 grand to keep us ticking over and family helped out.

At the time you could also get loans easily via the credit union if need be, many did for stupid reasons but was the celtic tiger. cant honestly say if that is still possible or not as thats a good long while ago.

Sorry, its a hard aul slog for some bt I wouldnt recommend it as a career anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

esforum wrote: »

Sorry, its a hard aul slog for some bt I wouldnt recommend it as a career anyway

+1

Currently the attitude in the job is doom and gloom (well on the regular it is)

Lads with 7 yrs service taking about looking forward to retirement.

Guys with 30yrs getting out as quick as they can.

It's not a job I would want my son or daughter joining, despite coming from a long family line of gardai.

A read of the inspectorite report would give u a good idea of what the job is like, and then bear in mind that nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well at least the new policing authority has come out publically and recognised low Garda morale - something senior Garda management have consistently repudiated.

While pay, accommodation conditions and resources generally are significant factors the thing that got to me most was that some Gardai could sail through their entire Garda careers doing SFA or doing only what they chose to do at their own timing with absolutely no censure or even comment by local Garda management while other hard working Gardai who were trying their best and sharing an unfair workload burden would be crucified if something with their work did not go right.

Until lazy Gardai can be easily kicked out or at least censured and the efforts of genuine hard working Gardai recognised and rewarded morale will continue to spiral downwards.

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-morale-survey-2508169-Dec2015/

• Advertisement

Well at least the new policing authority has come out publically and recognised low Garda morale - something senior Garda management have consistently repudiated.

All they said is they were told morale was low, not that they agree.
    The former Revenue Commissioner chief said she had spent some time in a number of Garda stations.

“They told me they didn’t have enough resources. They asked me what would the authority do about that. They did certainly indicate poor morale. They talked a lot about equipment, but that was before the recent spending.

“Some of the accommodation I saw was dire – there’s work in progress on that as well which I think is very important,” she said.

And from reading this there seems to be a reminder of the FG 'Investment' in the Gardaí. Doesn't look good from an independence point of view.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/policing-boss-hears-of-morale-and-facility-issues-for-gardai-379020.html

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

While pay, accommodation conditions and resources generally are significant factors the thing that got to me most was that some Gardai could sail through their entire Garda careers doing SFA or doing only what they chose to do at their own timing with absolutely no censure or even comment by local Garda management while other hard working Gardai who were trying their best and sharing an unfair workload burden would be crucified if something with their work did not go right.

Until lazy Gardai can be easily kicked out or at least censured and the efforts of genuine hard working Gardai recognised and rewarded morale will continue to spiral downwards.

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-morale-survey-2508169-Dec2015/

Amen!

Advertisement