Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign uniform

Options
  • 27-01-2016 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I've been seeing cyclists and motorcyclists lately wearing high-vis vests that say 'Polite' or similar with police markings on them. Is it legal to wear foreign police uniform in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭stoller

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've been seeing cyclists and motorcyclists lately wearing high-vis vests that say 'Polite' or similar with police markings on them. Is it legal to wear foreign police uniform in Ireland?

Those riders are from a delivery company I think! I have seen them around!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have seen them around and they have Polite on them as you say. This doesnt translate to Police from any european language. what police markings do they have on them? they are just a plain yellow hi-viz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They usually have something like "A (tiny text) POLITE (huge text) reminder - watch out for bikes (tiny text)".

It is definitely intended to look like a police tabard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

L1011 wrote: »
    They usually have something like "A (tiny text) POLITE (huge text) reminder - watch out for bikes (tiny text)".

It is definitely intended to look like a police tabard.

From a distance, yes, but it's not designed to impersonate them which is why it's perfectly legal - and a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Someone should start a range
    "GRAND day for it" or "visit lake GARDA in beautiful Italy"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I have seen them around and they have Polite on them as you say. This doesnt translate to Police from any european language. what police markings do they have on them? they are just a plain yellow hi-viz.

I've just seen them driving past while out walking, some use the chessboard kind of graphic that the UK police have on their jackets. I thought people were bringing them over from Europe and wearing them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Remember the picture from Africa/Caribbean of the motorcyclist wearing a (genuine?) Garda fleece - fleeced from somewhere :D

The POLITE http://www.morebikes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Polite-hi-viz.jpg is intended to mimic the Dutch POLITIE word http://www.vanweerdenmode.nl/wp-content/uploads/Politie-b.jpg crossed with the UK POLICE hi-vis Police2.jpg

Bit like those limos and Gold Wing cowboys using white strobe lights, NOT illegal but definitely intended to make the ordinary Joe think it's an emergency vehicle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

e2cb4883c1.jpg

5 minutes in paint. They'll string me up the flagpole in the park if it takes off :rolleyes:

Advertisement