Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to get a RSU unit finally

Options
  • 24-01-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

It's the finally happening i know it's rumour for months but on last night on primetime they reported the setting up of the RSU in DMR ( possibility of name change tho)

It's will free up the ERU and SDU for other roles

Positive or resource drain on already low numbers

Comments

POGAN wrote: »

Positive or resource drain on already low numbers

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

Is there not too many armed officers in Dublin as it is? I know there's no marked presence but would this addition of 60 officers be increasing the total number of armed officers there?

Rebelkid wrote: »
    Is there not too many armed officers in Dublin as it is? I know there's no marked presence but would this addition of 60 officers be increasing the total number of armed officers there?

I'd expect DDU to lose their guns. We have no dedicated Armed Response Unit so could wait ages for DDU or SDU to turn up to a situation. They have their own roles to do to.

Pity I think the idea of DDU being armed is great compared to the U.K system, would this new RSU result in the ERU being reduced in numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Pity I think the idea of DDU being armed is great compared to the U.K system, would this new RSU result in the ERU being reduced in numbers?

I don't think ddu will be reduced unless it is 24 hour unit which it won't be going on the current model.

No ERU recuirtment will also be expanded last year after delaying it last year

• Advertisement

DDU are an investigative unit and it suited giving them guns as there was no dedicated armed unit.

Can't imagine ERU losing members, they have a defined role and having the RSU frees them up for that.

foreign wrote: »
    DDU are an investigative unit and it suited giving them guns as there was no dedicated armed unit.

Can't imagine ERU losing members, they have a defined role and having the RSU frees them up for that.
    I was reading recently that Police Scotland have 275 armed officers out of a 17,000 strong force. I presume roughly there are about 300-500 armed officers in Dublin (correct me if I'm wrong). Comparing this shows the sheer amount of armed officers in Dublin and adding RSU to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

I was reading recently that Police Scotland have 275 armed officers out of a 17,000 strong force. I presume roughly there are about 300-500 armed officers in Dublin (correct me if I'm wrong). Comparing this shows the sheer amount of armed officers in Dublin and adding RSU to this?

If there is 300-500 in Dublin then they wouldn't have issues of get armed backup ask any DMR member looking for armed support there none available 99%!

RSU is needed in DMR only European police force without capital having no armed response unit that isn't ERU or SDU

But what are the current armed officers doing? Enquires, prisoners, investigating, leave, courses, etc. The RSU will be a dedicated response unit.

Advertisement