Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tayto Park Rollercoaster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

It actually makes sense to have a pay per ride option if you have kids that are too young to make use of most of the attractions. The playground there is very popular with younger kids, but they would lose those families if they put the price up but didn't offer them anything in return. We had an annual pass for the last two years. Not sure yet if we'll renew as the novelty has worn off for the kids now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

hmboards wrote: »
    It actually makes sense to have a pay per ride option if you have kids that are too young to make use of most of the attractions. The playground there is very popular with younger kids, but they would lose those families if they put the price up but didn't offer them anything in return. We had an annual pass for the last two years. Not sure yet if we'll renew as the novelty has worn off for the kids now.

Actually it doesn't, it's a theme park, if there was some sort of nominal entrance fee maybe but at €14 a head it's ridiculous, having extra charges, akin to going to the zoo and having to pay to see the elephants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Wooden rollercoaster in Ireland .....oh my

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Vego wrote: »

Ah yeah, I'm sure no thought went into it... Oh my is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Even at 33 m high i'm guessing this will be seen from a big enough distance?

Even at 33 m high i'm guessing this will be seen from a big enough distance?

as well as the screams being heard!

I think it is a good point though because every theme park I have been to the roller coasters are actually very visually intrusive, ditto with the screams.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Is this new roller coaster up and running yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Is this new roller coaster up and running yet?

No. It's due to be completed this summer

• Advertisement

Found some pics of construction here

http://www.themeparks.ie/europe/tayto/index.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I was driving around the area of Tayto Park today and what I can say is:

1) The structure of the lift hill on the Cu Chulainn Coaster (can't get the fada) appears complete as does a substantial part of the remaining structure - this I saw from the approach road towards Tayto Park.

2) It also appears that work has commenced on the new access road into Tayto Park. I saw clearance work and wall reconstruction underway at the sharp left on the R155 as you head from the N2 towards Curragha - Robinson's Cross Roads as OSM has it.

Great progress!

They are putting in one of these as well.

And they have this yoke...

I'm glad that finally we seem to have a half decent actual theme park in the country. I do think it's a big enough gamble for them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Vego wrote: »

Theres one in Oakwood Pembroke, South Wales for over 10 years. Its one of the biggest in Europe. I believe Tayto Park's will be similar. Great addidtion to the area and the park.

Its about time this country had something along these lines. If they can build and operate them in the UK there's no reason not to do the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I'm in Ashbourne and have a family pass for the year. Wife and kids get great use out of it for the summer. Facilities are top notch.

its not just the zoo, always bring towels and change of clothes and kids spend ages running through the water sprays.

The rides are different argument. We've 4 kids so have to watch that as we could be 70-80 euro down in no time so we give them enough for a couple rides each and let them pick. Or on a lazy summers Mid week day they're told before hand no rides, and we get a free day up there and we're very grateful for the relatively cheap annual pass. We'd much rather it that way than it being more expensive and rides free.

Also, the wait time is very long on busy days. They've got time markers on the climbing things with up to an hour. We don't have the patience for that so easy to walk away from.
    We've been to Oakwood a couple of times, it's fantastic. About 75 sterling for day pass but everything's free. As we stayed next door to it something struck me today. That wooden roller coaster is loud. As in you can hear it for literally miles around. Not sure locals are aware of that, they'll know soon enough.

Saw this tweet on twitter - long queues outside by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/AlbiLarkin/status/584686347715215360

If the queues are like that for the park before the roller coaster opens what would it be like after!? Have they even got enough attractions to keep so many people satisfied anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Saw this tweet on twitter - long queues outside by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/AlbiLarkin/status/584686347715215360

If the queues are like that for the park before the roller coaster opens what would it be like after!? Have they even got enough attractions to keep so many people satisfied anyway?
    Queues yesterday 1km back just to get I to the car park let alone through the gates. theyll need to rethink their strategy If that keeps up. Prebooking and time slotting.
    And that's before the roller coaster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Queues yesterday 1km back just to get I to the car park let alone through the gates. theyll need to rethink their strategy If that keeps up. Prebooking and time slotting.
    And that's before the roller coaster!!

Pretty sure they've a new entrance and car park under construction, should have stayed closed till it was finished maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

A nice picture of the coaster put up originally on the Tayto Park Facebook page

G4F6ZuY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Was up there last week. Brought my little one, she's 3. She had a ball.

I was curious as to how they'd manage the pricing structure. I have to be honest I think they've got it spot it on with the armband idea. €14 admission + €15 armband to cover all the rides once your in there. Once the roller coaster is up and running it'll be a really great day out. It's an impressive looking structure too.

I'm going to the cinema tomorrow and my two hours entertainment is going to cost €12.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Hibbeler wrote: »
    A nice picture of the coaster put up originally on the Tayto Park Facebook page

G4F6ZuY.jpg

Awesome shot I must say. Was actually at the coaster today and they were busy working on it. First time I saw a proper woodie up close and it's pretty impressive and certainly high! Also, that turn beside the lift hill is definitely over-banked and looks about 115 deg as was stated somewhere. However, I believe that for such a turn to be considered an inversion, it must be 135 deg or more. In any case, it looks so cool as does that first drop - in fact, it looked steeper to me than the picture suggests - would love to know what the decline angle actually is. Also, there's a scary head chopping airtime tunnel waiting for unsuspecting riders right after the first drop. Don't know if the lift hill has got its chain yet, but there were a couple of men working there.

Regarding the car park and road access situation, the old entrance road is still current, but the new car park is open albeit not finished yet. It's certainly big and all driveways are surfaced. The parking spaces themselves are of compacted stone - I don't know if this will be the final finish, but parking is very easy. The new access road at Robinson's Cross is well underway and the roundabout there is clearly visible though not fully operational yet. However, the R155 junction with the N2 will need to be looked at if this coaster proves very popular - there's already a fair bit on international interest in the ride as it is being considered a major wooden roller coaster in global terms. Well, as most of us already know, the 5th June is opening day - will be very interesting to see what the critics make of the ride.

Also, the PoV - bring it on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Was up there last week. Brought my little one, she's 3. She had a ball.

I was curious as to how they'd manage the pricing structure. I have to be honest I think they've got it spot it on with the armband idea. €14 admission + €15 armband to cover all the rides once your in there. Once the roller coaster is up and running it'll be a really great day out. It's an impressive looking structure too.

I'm going to the cinema tomorrow and my two hours entertainment is going to cost €12.

Why don't they just charge €29 to get in? :confused:

Gonna hand it to Mr Coyle..at time of recession he opened Tayto park, in a country that planning authorities refuse anything that seems logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

nc6000 wrote: »
    Why don't they just charge €29 to get in? :confused:

Because my 3 year old can't go on any of the rides. She's only interested in playgrounds and animals. I wouldn't be paying €29 for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

if they get this and more rides I think they should implement the payment system they have in oakwood or alton towers. Basically have you pay once at the entrance and you can go on as many rides or attractions as you wish. It be a bit expensive but it I tend to prefer that version.

This must be the most exciting thing to happen in meath since the battle of the boyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

This must be the most exciting thing to happen in meath since the battle of the boyne.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Noel Dempsey's exit from leinster house must easily have topped it ;)

Noel Dempsey's exit from leinster house must easily have topped it ;)
    True, but he didn't mind due to a fat pension

• Advertisement

I saw the news today of the Tayto roller coaster... theres a challenge just to paint it..

Advertisement