Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Corsa broken headlamp / paint removal

Options
  • 14-06-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

So today my corsa decided to kiss a carpark pillar...

Feeling like an absolute idiot, and while she's nothing fancy [my learner car!] I hate to see her hurt [pic attached].

The headlamp on the passenger side is cracked/broken at the side - the bulb works perfectly and it's not causing any glare etc. however am guessing I'll have to get this replaced to avoid water getting in and it blowing out, or condensation problems at the very least. Found a replacement on micksgarage.com for €53 but no idea how much a mechanic would charge / if I'd be able to do it myself (unlikely) - any ideas?

I also have some sexy yellow paint stuck to the plastic of my bumper - any ideas how to remove this? A scrub isnt working - will white spirits do the job?

This is ignoring the scratch/dent with yellow paint beside the lamp.

I am never going to Aldi again :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Azureus wrote: »
    So today my corsa decided to kiss a carpark pillar...

Feeling like an absolute idiot, and while she's nothing fancy [my learner car!] I hate to see her hurt [pic attached].

The headlamp on the passenger side is cracked/broken at the side - the bulb works perfectly and it's not causing any glare etc. however am guessing I'll have to get this replaced to avoid water getting in and it blowing out, or condensation problems at the very least. Found a replacement on micksgarage.com for €53 but no idea how much a mechanic would charge / if I'd be able to do it myself (unlikely) - any ideas?

I also have some sexy yellow paint stuck to the plastic of my bumper - any ideas how to remove this? A scrub isnt working - will white spirits do the job?

This is ignoring the scratch/dent with yellow paint beside the lamp.

I am never going to Aldi again :)

Ring around a few scrapyards www.partfinder.ie is a great way of doing this and it shouldn't cost a heap for a new headlight

Secondly there's heaps of videos, forums, tutorials on headlight replacement for them, get a decent set of tools and away you go, it's pretty much a case of take the light bulbs out, undo a few screws and take the whole unit out, if you have to disconnect any levelers or anything it's just an added but, and then do the same in reverse :)

Gimme a shout if you need any help with it, a garage would probably want about 60/100 quid to do it guessing

As for the yellow stuff, get some tar remover from halfords or some place for around 9 euro and just keep at it until it comes off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

had a chap reversed into vectra headlamp and crack glass a few years ago, best deal came from main opel dealer glass plus clips to hold in place under €40 fitted, when other repair shops heard of claim the cheapest quote was over €100
    ,maybe a little cutting compound use sparingly and carefully will remove paint or worst case , paint stripper ,put on cloth sparingly and start in middle of paint. then wipe off with spirits. good luck

Advertisement