Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2003 Ford mondeo problem please help

• 11-06-2014 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Ok so I have 2003 1.8 petrol Ford mondeo
    Losing power.... when no the motor way after a few mins at 100 kph she chucks and starts to lose power? I have changed the coil pack got a new ecu put in fuel pump and filter and still the same??? When I pull in to the side of the road when this happens I put my foot to the floor out of gear it goes to 3k revs and straight back down keeping my foot down it sounds like it's suffocating and can also hear a knock from somewhere under the car? I took it to a mechanic to do the ecu and took it back again because the problem was still there he put it on a computer that told him there is nothing wrong with the car? Has anyone experience anything like this and may know what it is? My mechanic can't seem to figure it out witch is strange as he hi good at what he does
    Sorry for the long post...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Ok so I have 2003 1.8 petrol Ford mondeo
    Losing power.... when no the motor way after a few mins at 100 kph she chucks and starts to lose power? I have changed the coil pack got a new ecu put in fuel pump and filter and still the same??? When I pull in to the side of the road when this happens I put my foot to the floor out of gear it goes to 3k revs and straight back down keeping my foot down it sounds like it's suffocating and can also hear a knock from somewhere under the car? I took it to a mechanic to do the ecu and took it back again because the problem was still there he put it on a computer that told him there is nothing wrong with the car? Has anyone experience anything like this and may know what it is? My mechanic can't seem to figure it out witch is strange as he hi good at what he does
    Sorry for the long post...

Maybe the EGR valve, but this usually shows up on the engine management system. You can check on youtube how to remove and clean them.
    I've had two 02 petrol mondeos and this was a common problem around the 90k miles mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

I tried cleaning the egr and still nothing??
    Puzzled???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

just to rule out fuel starvation by lack of tank venting, remove petrol tank cap and drive, see does same thing happen,also check fuel line from tank is free with no obstruction or crack in pipe. by the way would it happen if revving high in lower gears? i presume this happens in top gear

Thanks sandyman ill try that on the way to work in the morning!
    I take it that wouldn't cause any damage?

no it wont as long as long as it doesn't rain and put it back on ASAP, id prefer to do it on way home in case id forget it if traffic heavy (rain risk)try driving hard in lower gears first, but it will rule out blocked vent if same thing happens with cap removed, had that problem, vent box at filling cap covered with goo car would jerk and die down, also overflow drain pipe resting on top of petrol tank sucked in water during wet weather. .i presume there is not a fuel filter fitted by some one in petrol feed pipe
    some how i think that's not your problem but rule it out first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i remember had a fiesta or focus in same issue turned out burnt contacts at block connector on tank unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭skippy15

Have you checked spark plugs?

Will be checking spark plugs in the morning even though my mechanic thinks there fine? No matter what gear I'm in once I put my foot down there is no power! It won't go past 2K revs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Will be checking spark plugs in the morning even though my mechanic thinks there fine? No matter what gear I'm in once I put my foot down there is no power! It won't go past 2K revs??
    i don't know what's wrong with your car but change your mechanic! I hate when mechanic guesses at your expense! If I was a your mechanic and I wasn't sure what the problem was I wouldn't guess and start changing ecu's I'd tell you straight out I don't know what's wrong go to ford they probably have more experience with this problem particular problem than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'll hazard a guess and say the catalytic convertor is broken up and partially blocking the exhaust gasses from getting out. It probably explains the knock from underneath.

Try to get under and give the cat a couple of good thumps of your fist and see is it rattling inside.

• Advertisement

There is a brand new cat on it put on before I bought it?? It's very strange? Just can't figure this out for the life of me? Don't want to part with it as it's a beautiful car! And was a beautiful drive before this started!

have you checked venting and fuel line and theyre fine, and also fuel pump and filter connections, that rules out fuel starvation.
    that knock under car could be unburnt petrol exploding ,sounds more like ignition related problem ,by any chance are HT leads on incorrectly,find out firing sequence and check, seen more than one mechanic miss this,also get insulated pliers and remove spark plugs one at time with engine running (get helper and rev)to check if plugs are sparking, (farmers style but it works)and also if spare HT leads are available swop them .or get new ones ,cant remember in what car but one time a new set of HT leads were completely useless, finally take IAMTONYs advice and change mechanic, also does water temp sensor in ford regulate fuel supply like it does in skoda

Right this problem is getting worse now it cuts out straight away after I start her? Think I'm just going to leave her into the main dealer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do these have a mafs sensor on the air intake? you could try disconnect to multplug and start it. It's an air flow meter they can be clogged with carbon deposits and give incorrect readings. Maybe try resetting the ecu by simply disconnecting the battery for 15 or so minutes too.

Just found this too and sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.
    http://www.justanswer.com/uk-ford/78pqo-ford-mondeo-lx-loses-power-acceleration.html

Advertisement