Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Glovebox Handle Broken - Golf

Options
  • 11-06-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a Mark IV VW Golf, love it to bits hasn't given me any bother in the past 10 years.

Until a small problem recently -

The lock on the glovebox seems to have failed and the locking mechanism doesn't engage (from the panel into the sidewall of the glovebox).

As a result it's open now all the time.

I've wedged something in as a short term fix, but looking for a long term solution.

I removed the glovebox easy enough, but it seems to be all riveted panels to get access to the lock mechanism.

Want to see if i can repair it without damanging/marking the outside.

Has anyone had this problem before or could perhaps suggest a method?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Hi ,
    I have repaired this on my daughter's Golf , you will have to remove the cover from the actual door of the glovebox , this will let you see the mechanism inside . It was a spring which had come unseated if I remember correctly . you need to be gentle prying the front of the actual cover as it is quite fragile . I just stuck it back together with super glue when finished and it is still ok two years on .

best of luck with it

Davycha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Thanks for the reply Davycha,

When you say "you need to be gentle prying the front of the actual cover as it is quite fragile"

Do you mean the inside of the glove compartment front panel?

I.e. I'm not prying off the side with the lock facing outwards, but trying to get at it from the back of the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Hi ,
    It has been a while since I did this , but if memory serves me right , you will have to split the actual complete front cover from the back which contains the locking mechanism . it is a bit finicky to do but it can be done as long as you are careful .There also may be some rivets you have to remove as well I think originally it was molded together . I am sorry I cannot give you any more info as my daughter no longer has the car and I am going from memory only .

hope this helps

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

No problem, that's brilliant.

Yes it is the moulded rivets as you suggest so i guess it'll be a slow and delicate cracking process!

Will let you know how it goes, thanks for the advice.

Advertisement