Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2001 Toyota Yaris hazard lights flashing when ignition is off!!?

• 13-01-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭

as above, with the ignition switched off the hazards start flashing, doesnt matter if the key is in the ignition or out, car is locked or open, just once the car is switched off they start flashing! the car will still lock and open as normal, and from what i can see the 'security' light on the dash flashes normally too.

once started, or even 'switched on' the hazards stop flashing and everything works perfect, including indicators, hazards etc!

it started doing this after the car came back from a valet, well it was the morning after, i came out to start the car but battery was dead as a nail, replaced the battery and started the car and has been doing this since, i assume it started during the night and flattened the battery though?? only got outside valeted so no water near switches inside or anything.

have disconnected the battery for an hour, removed the indicator relay, but still doing it, short of an expensive trip to a dealer i cant think of anything else!?, anybody had any experiences???! :confused:

tia!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Has it got an alarm?
    Check under the bonnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭4odh4n

do you mean aftermarket alarm?, doesnt have one, I know the car since new (owned by a family member) and has never had any modifications.

I have been advised by toyota that there would be no alarm fitted to a car of this age, just imobiliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Still doing it with the indicator relay removed?? :confused:
    Or you took it out, tested it and put it back? (and the same problem is still there )

sorry, should have made that a bit clearer!, when relay removed/bat disconnected it stops, as soon as it is reconnected they start up again!

4odh4n wrote: »
    do you mean aftermarket alarm?, doesnt have one, I know the car since new (owned by a family member) and has never had any modifications.

I have been advised by toyota that there would be no alarm fitted to a car of this age, just imobiliser.

Have they tried replacing or testing the switch?

• Advertisement

just thought i would post up the outcome of this issue!

In the end the problem was traced back to the door lock control unit, basically the unit was sending constant power to the flasher relay instead of only when the doors were being locked or opened. So instead of changing out the unit, which is buried in the dash, I just disconnected the wire from the door lock unit to the flasher relay and this solved the problem, it does mean the hazards no longer flash when the doors are locked or opened, but that is a minimal loss when compared to replacing the whole unit.

But Yaris's don't usually have the indicators flash unless there's an alarm fitted?

They usually don't have remote locking unless it's a top of the range model.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    But Yaris's don't usually have the indicators flash unless there's an alarm fitted?

They usually don't have remote locking unless it's a top of the range model.

Ya its a top of range 'sol' model and has remote central locking, but no alarm. Would giv two flashes for locking and one for unlocking

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭philc1974

4odh4n wrote: »
    just thought i would post up the outcome of this issue!

In the end the problem was traced back to the door lock control unit, basically the unit was sending constant power to the flasher relay instead of only when the doors were being locked or opened. So instead of changing out the unit, which is buried in the dash, I just disconnected the wire from the door lock unit to the flasher relay and this solved the problem, it does mean the hazards no longer flash when the doors are locked or opened, but that is a minimal loss when compared to replacing the whole unit.

Hi there

Where is the door control unit located for the yaris, my gf's car just developed the same problem today :/

Advertisement