Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to run crysis on 64bit mode on Steam

Options
  • 30-12-2010 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Just posting this here, it may help some of You as nearly everyone runs 64bit Windows now.

I've always had retail Crysis, but now got it on Steam and gave my old retail version to My brother I noticed I only had 32bit on Steam. Crysis in 64bit always ran much better for me than the 32bit, about 5-10fps better. The Steam version of Crysis doesn't have 64bit at all. This is what You do to get one:

1 - Download and install Crysis through Steam
    2 - When you have done download this folder and extract into your Crysis folder in Steam.
    3 - Rename bin32 to another name and then rename bin64 to bin32.
    4 - Find and copy the following files from the original 'bin32' folder into the newly made one (formerly called 'bin64'):
    GL.ini
    ijl15.dll
    IntelLaptopGaming.dll
    jpeg62.dll
    libtiff3.dll
    paul.dll
    ToolkitPro1042vc80.dll
    winui.dll
    zlib.dll

To play Warhead in 64bit, just navigate to the bin64 folder, right click on the crysis.exe (not the Crysis64.exe) and send it to the desktop, Rename it Crysis Warhead and launch it from the desktop.
    Crysis Wars is done the same way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

does that actually translate into better performance though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

For Me Yes, 5-10fps. 32 bit mode is emulated in 64bit Windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    For Me Yes, 5-10fps. 32 bit mode is emulated in 64bit Windows

Emulation does not come into the mix for 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit system. Those 32 bit calls are still executed on the host cpu after all. Again, there is no emulation here. Such a stupid name to call a compatability layer. It's like saying WINE is an emulator imo. Microsoft, please change the fecking name now.

Regardless, its noticeably faster in 64bit for Me. If your system is not fast enough, moving to 64-bit will not help you. People will only see a difference if They're running textures and other settings on very high. I run crossfire, not sure if that makes a difference. I also have 8Gb's of ram

Thats probably why; thats definitely where 64-bit comes into play is when youre shoving huge files down the pipe, like massive textures.

do you find yourself ever using that much ram?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    do you find yourself ever using that much ram?

Nope, I bought a second set of 4Gb cos it had fallen to €60 for 4Gb and used it as a ramdisk (virtual hard drive on ram) for Arma. Glad I did, its now doubled in price as ddr2 demand drops.

zikes. still i dont think ill pre-empt an extra 4gb, ill wait it out.

Advertisement