Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the art of letter writing, has email, blogs, txt killed it?

• 21-04-2009 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

just watched an interesting bit on bbc morning tv... about the impact of emailing, blogging texting etc on letter writing, spelling and grammer.

i think it's fantastic that we can comunicate instantly, via email and text, msn etc.. but it does anoy me when i get an email or text that's full of "txt speak"

i also think there's something alot more personal with a letter, i can't remember the last time i got one....

so, what do you think... do you care if the art of letter writing dies... or that spelling and grammer goes down the toilet?

letters? 8 votes

i don't care for em, email and txt rules
    0% 0 votes
    i love getting a letter
    50% 4 votes
    dont care, never really thought about it
    50% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

yh

Spelling and Grammar and knowing the correct letter format are very different things.

Personally, I couldn't give a crap if the letter format dies out (you know, address on the top right, etc. the usual layout). So long as a letter has a purpose and two addresses (sender and who it's being sent to) i don't mind.

Spelling on the other hand is something that shouldn't really be an issue, but sadly, is.

I don't care if a 12 year old girl on Bebo uses "txt" language, because they're all idiots anyway. It bugs me when adults who post on proper message boards (like here, for example) make spelling mistakes, especially ones that are accepted.

For example, I don't mind if someone tries to tell me they were in Czechoslovakia at the weekend, but can't quite grasp the spelling of 'Czechoslovakia'. That's fine with me. What bugs me is when people use "then" instead of "than". "Should of" instead of "should have", etc. etc. and people don't bother to correct it, because a scary amount of people think that it's correct grammar.

Although in saying that.. I've probably made more than my fair share of spelling mistakes too (although if i make a post and notice a spelling error, etc. then I'll edit it).

So yeah... That's how I feel... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

People said that once the telephone was in every house that people would stop writing letters.

Now there is a computer in every house and guess what ??

People write more letters now than every before ....they're called e-mails.

You get them almost immediately and you don't have to worry about it being buried in some fat tossers back garden who couldn't bother to deliver it to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Letter writing isn't an art, it's an inconvenience, and it's bad for the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

For example, I don't mind if someone tries to tell me they were in Czechoslovakia at the weekend,

I mind! Czechoslovakia ceased to exist in 1993

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭bacon?

jum4 wrote: »
    I mind! Czechoslovakia ceased to exist in 1993

ha ha, classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Seems like the only thing that still comes in the mail is bills & junk.
    And even most bills come via e-mail now.

I kind of wish I could cancel my mail service.

Speaking of dead things.
    I found a box of cassette tapes in my closet the other day.
    Are they recyclable?
    I haven't owned a cassette player in over 15 years.
    Same goes for VHS tapes?

Yet surprisingly; I still love my vinyl's.
    (and no; I'm not that old)

Advertisement