Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV licence

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ah come on, you had so many ways of getting out of that..

Most straight forward option: Shoot him in the face. That'll learn him.

That'll chuck me for leaving the uzi beside the net curtains, never again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I was sitting in my gaff yesterday, with one of the lads, rolling a... Sandwich, yeah, and some guy walked up to the door with some thing in his hand, pressed a button, and went on to the next house. Rightly scared me! Was he one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

They usually have a clipboard or a yellow notepad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

They usually have a clipboard or a yellow notepad

And a big grudge against anyone!

And another thing... you can usually tell they are at your door if you can get a smell of a cheap cotton suit and the plain tuna sandwich they had for lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

gambiaman wrote: »
    I was caught by the rocks yesterday evening, doorbell rang, was expecting someone, opened it there he was. Like a rabbit caught in headlights i was when realising he had full view of me telly through the curtainless patio windows (had just taken them down to clean them) so open view into the living room. Bah.

"Oh that? Thats a holographic projection of a TV, not an actual TV itself. No, you can't come in to confirm it, now fook off."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Why in God's name do you need a tv license??

Not like a drive the feckin thing to work.

I didn't have to learn to use it.

Where is my tv provisional huh huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I bought a TV from Ricersounds.ie, their small print madeit clear they have a legal obligation to pass on address info of anyone who bought a TV from them.

That may have been a NI restriction but I'd be wary if you ever had a TV delivered to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

i hate those fuking bastards, making people afraid to answer their door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Rb wrote: »
    Just don't answer your door to unexpected visitors, simple as.

The only people who call to your door who haven't called you on your mobile first are Christian lunatics who want to convert you, sales men and TV licence inspectors.
    Oh and neighbours who have an emergency to deal with.

Regardless, they're never people you want to deal with.

I was standing in the kitchen (past the hall, visible through the panes on the front door) making lunch last week and there was a ring on the door, I looked the guy in the face and then closed the kitchen door and sure enough he fucked off a few minutes later, it's not like they're going to hang around for extended periods of time after all.

At last a bit of sense from someone. Forget tv licences, this is generally a good rule to live by. I simply cannot understand people who feel required to answer the door to their home simply because the doorbell is ringing. They are pavlovian dogs. The door to my place does not open unless the person outside is ringing me from their mobile requesting to get in ... and even then its still a matter for consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I had this misfortune of coming across some rag today, who reported that a German algebra expert- dead 450yrs ago, was sent a threatening letter for not having a TV licence. Merely because he was the last registered owner.

So, even if you dont answer the door, they may even exhume you in this country yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

whose responsible for the TV licence, is it the owner of the house or what?
    also is it one licence per tv or house or what.
    for example if i'm in rented accomodaion with a tv - who is held accountable - me or the landlord - and if say another tenant has a tv licence do i need a sepearte one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ace2007 wrote: »
    for example if i'm in rented accomodaion with a tv - who is held accountable - me or the landlord - and if say another tenant has a tv licence do i need a sepearte one.

I thiiiink, the lease holder. Hit the legal forum to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

my brother in galway got caught. kind of funny really as they only had the telly a day when the inspector came knockin at the door, she must've been on a stake out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Afaik the owner of the tv is liable. Seems unfair if you bring your own tv into rented accommodation and the landlord gets fined even if he didn't know you had it

And it's one licence per house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

My ex, massive fine. They were only in college, pulled 80 in an estate of about 300 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Just remembered i need to change the address on mine. Why is there a tv licence in ireland anyway? All the channels must make a ton on advertising surely? Why should we fund them more? If i could watch tv without adverts id pay it without holding a grudge!
    Or is it cos we get bbc down here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Afaik the owner of the tv is liable. Seems unfair if you bring your own tv into rented accommodation and the landlord gets fined even if he didn't know you had it

And it's one licence per house

so if your in rented accomadation and another tenant has a licence and a tv, i can bring in a tv and don't have to get a licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I think one could summarise the legal situation as follows:

If a TV license inspector arrives, you:

a) don't have to open the door or speak to them
    b) allow them into your home

They only way they could verify that you have a TV is by seeing it from outside, so that's all you house-dwellers with the big plasma in the front room fcuked :D

For the rest of us, the inviolability of the dwelling is enshrined in the Constitution meaning that they could only enter against the occupant's wishes with a warrant which one has to apply to court to get.

I can't see any judge or peace commissioner granting a warrant for such a trivial matter, and for it to be granted the licence inspector would have to give some evidence for the belief that you do in fact own a TV. Seeing as you've already refused to open the door and he can't see through walls he is unable to do so meaning no warrant for him and a saving of €160-odd for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

so if your in rented accomadation and another tenant has a licence and a tv, i can bring in a tv and don't have to get a licence

I can't see any reason why not. The law is one licence per house and they don't care who paid for it. His licence has to be listed for that accommodation though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

While I was in college the inspector came to the door and my IDIOT housemate answered it, despite me telling him on numerous occasions to keep the front blind down and to not answer the door if he didn't know who it was, I told him all the time !
    Anyway, he answered the door with the front blind open (inspector saw tv), he told the inspector that I still lived there, and told him when i'd be back!
    I only have a month left in the house, will I get the licence?
    PS. I'm waiting to move out before kick my soon to be ex-roomates ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

While I was in college the inspector came to the door and my IDIOT housemate answered it, despite me telling him on numerous occasions to keep the front blind down and to not answer the door if he didn't know who it was, I told him all the time !
    Anyway, he answered the door with the front blind open (inspector saw tv), he told the inspector that I still lived there, and told him when i'd be back!
    I only have a month left in the house, will I get the licence?
    PS. I'm waiting to move out before kick my soon to be ex-roomates ass.

i assume you are moving somewhere in ireland - if so you still have to buy but when you move phone tv license section and inform of your new address it goes with you - then the inspectors will be after your housemate - i think he'll remember to put the blinds and not to answer the door when not expecting someone - ha ha ha

Advertisement