Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI WAR: Fleet Command

Options
  • 11-11-2009 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Anyone played it? In the mood for a bit of space strategy and spotted this on Steam for €14. (I want to plays Sins of a Solar Empire, but the copy I bought from GAME isn't recognised by my DVD drive :( )

"AI War breaks most of the genre’s rules. Which is precisely why it’s incredible... This out-of-the-blue one-man passion project is one of this year’s finest strategy games." - PC Gamer UK Review, November 2009

Looks interesting at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,865 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

saw it on Impulse. wasnt sure. check metadata:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/aiwarfleetcommand?q=ai%20fleet%20command Positive Results out of 5 reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, had already checked that. Even the worst review was pretty much marking it down because it had a steep, relatively long learning curve.

might be a winner. no demo huh? :/

youd think demos would be more prevalent in todays pirate go lucky world. if I want to try a game i half consider stealing it then paying later if i like it. Wouldnt it make more sense if companies widely distributed demoware? give me the first 10 levels of Plants vs. Zombies and hell yeah ill pay $10 for that. And World of Goo? Best ****ing demo Ive played in a long ass time. MMOs got it right also.

There's a demo on Steam alright. Of course I completely missed the dead obvious "Official Demo" button above the metacritic link in Steam...
    So the full version is downloading. :o After looking at the screenshots and reading the reviews, I figured it was worth the gamble.
    Looks pretty much like what I imagined the fleet simulator in Enders Game should look like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

me wanty this and dragon age.
    i demand money!

• Advertisement

gettin me some of that demonationage.

Ok, first half hour impressions.

For an indy game, it looks pretty slick. The "map" is pretty as anything, nicely realised, smoothly scrolling and zoom/unzoom. Ships are static and "icony" but tbh that suits the feel of the game perfectly.
    Gameplay, well, I'm only getting through the tutorials, of which there are two levels, beginner and intermediate, as well as a whole heap of reading material linked directly from the game, and having it on Steam is a bonus with the in game browser.
    The tutorials are good, very thorough. The game controls are pretty intuitive and since there are usually several ways to do any one thing, the tutorials so far largely serve to show you the alternative ways to do what you've already figured out how to do.
    Basically, the look and feel of it are of some kind of Space Academy combat simulator like in Enders Game. It's not trying to be a top down RTS in the way Supreme Commander is, and tbh with it being in space, there wouldn't be much point seeing as there's no trackmarks to see on the march etc.
    Quite happy so far in other words!

I need to find the button for "Search and Destroy" (im assuming there IS one, as clearly a lot of thought went into this game) but so far im overwhelmed and too tired to give this the mettle its probably due. Top Down. Very old school. Youll appreciate the Hi Res trailer on Steam though AFTER playing it a bit though: the demo lets you play with a couple hundred ships, the trailer shows of thousands at a time and by the looks of it any med range machine is well able for it. Theres almost no power being drawn for graphics, its all just procedural AI code for the most part. Its only 300MB big (the whole ****ing game). Kinda like a Pocket Version of Sins.

I could see losing a lot more time in this game once i grasp more of the macro control elements. The tutorials are a bit micro. I assume theres a lot more macro given the scale of the typical campaign which typically consists of a couple hundred planets.

Demo is Highly Reccomended. Theres a lot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got this ages ago on one of those Impulse weekend sales.
    Still haven't played it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Sorry if this post is a little too old to be raising.

Game was on sale on steam yesterday, figured what the hell, so I bought it!

It's actually a great game, already sucked about 4 hours off my life just tonight - now I have to hunt down other players to make it really interesting :pac:

Anybody on boards play this these days?

• Advertisement

Haven't in a while online now. Sort of between moving so no access to my pc.

Definitely changes the dynamic big time though

Advertisement