Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Goose

Options
  • 09-10-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

Please dont shoot me for mentioning the C word !!
    But trying to get everything organised early, and we decided that we would have Goose this year

I dont really want a frozen one, so would anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you are looking for recommendations on where to buy one you need to tell us roughly where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I live in Kildare but around Drogheda is good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Order them from your butcher. We've made Gordon Ramsay's Christmas Goose recipe (from BBC Good Food) a few times now. It calls for a whole goose bone-in. Fabulous flavour from the bone, but not a lot of meat then. Fed 4 people with no second helpings really.
    You can also order from M&S, bones and rolled. Haven't tried them ourselves but looked impressive from the catalogue and less hassle too.

I did the 4in1 bird in m&s it was okay. My butcher doesn't do goose - I already asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If theres any cattle mart around you a lot of farmers would sell home reared geese coming up to Christmas, at this time they would probably be selling live ones for you to finish yourself but closer to Christmas they would sell ready for the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Try ringing McEvoys in Terminfeckin.

They have farm shops in a few places, including Drogheda AFAIK and supply farmers markets.

They do great geese.

Thanks huskerdu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Sorry for the short reply earlier.

I'm a big fan of goose. A goose is expensive and has less meat on it than the same size turkey as the bone structure is bigger and the breast is leaner.

But, as a Christmas treat, it is the best.

There is a lot of fat on a goose and it is best to cook it long and slow in a roasting tin with a rack. After the first two hours, remove the fat from the tin ad use it to roast the potatoes.

I use a stuffing from Myrtle Alllen, its a old recipe, forgive the imperial measurements.

Stew 1lb of chopped peeled apple and 1lb of chopped onion with some sage or thyme and a few tbsps of juice from an orange. When its soft, Add 2lb mashed potato and season well. This sounds a bit bland, but after being cooked in the goose its divine.

that does sound good, cant wait to have all that lovely goose fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Any suggestions of where to get a good fresh goose in Dublin city, I live in D7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread is 2 years old.

Try posting in Dublin City forum.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement