Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could turn back the clock....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

risteard7 wrote: »
    Sit my leaving cert again, and realise it is important. I was one of the "cool dudes" who laughed at the "nerds" listening in class, now there laughing at me!

I said im not going to college no way! Sure I'll go working on a building site. Now where am I?

IN THE FCUKIN GUTTER!! Thats where!

A gutter with internet access? Ritzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Whats the career status now?? Is there money to be made and do you enjoy the job? Is the only viable route a PHD adn then years of working for feck all?

Come to think of it, is there any job in Ireland where you go do your degree, and then get a well paid job straight from college with career progressions available?!!

I didn't end up working in physics, but then again I never really intended to work in physics. I did the primary degree, decided I was never going to be good enough to do anything REALLY meaningful in TP, so I took the mathematical stuff and went into finance. At the time (14 years ago) that didn't make you a social pariah like it does now.

(Incidentally, I'm one of those strange people who doesn't see college as a means of getting a job, more as a means of learning how to think and solve problems, so the TP degree never held me back. I genuinely don't understand why people think of college as a stepping stone to a specific job (outside of the obvious ones), but that's for another thread.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Diapason wrote: »
    I didn't end up working in physics, but then again I never really intended to work in physics. I did the primary degree, decided I was never going to be good enough to do anything REALLY meaningful in TP, so I took the mathematical stuff and went into finance. At the time (14 years ago) that didn't make you a social pariah like it does now.

(Incidentally, I'm one of those strange people who doesn't see college as a means of getting a job, more as a means of learning how to think and solve problems, so the TP degree never held me back. I genuinely don't understand why people think of college as a stepping stone to a specific job (outside of the obvious ones), but that's for another thread.)

Its actually finance where Im headed myself! Funds law is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Its actually finance where Im headed myself! Funds law is the goal.

You're gold, then. Major growth area in the business! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Diapason wrote: »
    You're gold, then. Major growth area in the business! :)

Yep, Im looking good. Will still always wonder if I could have been the next Brian Cox though :D

Although this thread has helped to ease my worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Happy with the route i took. Love my job, wish it would pay better tho. I double job so that helps, but means LONG hours.

Would love to go back to school just so i could stand up to teachers i was afraid of. Especially the one's that laughed and ridiculed me in front of the class when i told them i was goin to work in media. Here i am anyway, simple diploma in the back pocket doing what i've wanted to do

Advertisement