Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Kasack...kaca... kakakan... that other team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

so you dont like the actual game of football you like the thrill of 'supporting' a massive english team from your basement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I don't have a basement, I live in a bungalow. Ah yes, 4 years old cheering arsenal on to their dizzying 10th place.

I ****in love football and I wish I hadn't stopped playing, but I just find it hard to watch sometimes when there's two teams playing poorly and some little bitch lyin on the ground for 2 minutes when there's an alternative like Rugby League. Even Arsenal games can be tough to sit through at times.

*EDIT*Any chance of the two of us letting this get back on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Cause we have a very close link to England.

I'm no nationalist but you realise that these links have traditionally been negative right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

so you dont like the actual game of football you like the thrill of 'supporting' a massive english team from your basement.

Funny that you should mention someone else not being a football fan.

If you're a fan of football, it won't make a blind bit of difference if there's an irish player on the pitch or not!

I'm just thinking of great games you missed out on because of your narrow minded attitude. Chelsea/Villa 4-4 last season came to mind straight away. That was a great game of ball.

On topic;

I'd say England will win comfortably, however... like any games against weak opposition, they will be trying to break down an 11 man defence for 90mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I just have great respect for people that support a LOI team, and still love watching the game at a high level too (and having a favourite team, call it support to if ya will).

I think if most of us did this the world would be a happier place!

anyhow,

2-0 sturttery performance from England, with Lamps for first goalscorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DSB wrote: »
    I'm no nationalist but you realise that these links have traditionally been negative right?

the fact remains that we are all bound to know the english players as well as our own, and far better then those of other nations simply because we're exposed to them so much. Exposure breeds interest. Its hard not to be aware of the internationals when the teams most of us support aren't playing because of them and we'll become saturated with commentary on international football over the next week, majoratively based on Ireland and England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well, first off, i support the English team, not the Irish team, so i care.

So, yeah, anything else you want to shíte on about?

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

DSB wrote: »

I prefer to look at the positives ;)

of which there have been very little, in fact when we became seld dependant and properly seperated from Britian the country started to improve....post 1960.

i would have prefered the dutch or spanish to have colonised the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

of which there have been very little, in fact when we became seld dependant and properly seperated from Britian the country started to improve....post 1960.

What did the British ever do for us?

• Advertisement

NOTHING. Played an indirect in the starvation of the countries people, pillaged and raped through the land, abolished our language through fear, and generally hated everything about us.

My dad in London in the 70's was victim of a lot of abuse for being Irish. I lived as a young kid in London, only a few years back when my family moved so much and still anti-irish sentiments exist.

Links might not be the right word, but England has been good to many thousands of Irish people whose own country could not give them work, many thousands of Irish have family in England, we follow English teams, we watch English tv, we read English newspapers and magazines, we shop in English shops,they are a huge exporter for our business, they consistently are the biggest group of tourists to the country, culturally we are the same. I prefer to for the positive in people, I find you will get much more in return, but maybe that is just me ;)

My dad in London in the 70's was victim of a lot of abuse for being Irish. I lived as a young kid in London, only a few years back when my family moved so much and still anti-irish sentiments exist.

What part of London did you live? I lived in London in the mid 90's, I am constantly over in London now, the anti irish sentiment does not exist imo,I have never experienced it, none of my friends have experienced it.

Anyway think we should get back on topic as we have gone way off topic.

Ok I agree with some but I disagree with this, Britian but mostly England was no more good to the irish than the usa was to the africans or that ireland has been 'good' to the polish. the irish provided a function and did the work that their employers asked of them for very little money.

now i agree its better to look at positives but its not like i hate english people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

NOTHING. Played an indirect in the starvation of the countries people, pillaged and raped through the land, abolished our language through fear, and generally hated everything about us.

Wow, I just knew my Monty Python reference would go 'Whooooosh above you' but not by that much.

I've lived and worked over there, never any hassle, like them as a people, and always whistle The Great Escape on their international match days.

I knew what you meant hence I followed up examples of what they had actually done to us.

OpenRoad I lived near Croydon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I presume the interest has much to do with the fact we are not playing untill Wednesday, it will probably be raining and alot of people have sky sports.

I watch a fair few English games myself because I am so familiar with the players, not too bothered if they win or lose generally, athough I do enjoy the english media throwing their toys out of the pram when they lose, draw or 'only' win 2-0. :D

I might watch this, although tommorow is going to be a great day weather wise so i might be out doing something, but what im saying is i neither like, hate, despise, adore the england national football team.

Its funny when they lose but if ireland qualified I couldn't care less if england did or didn't make it.

the only rivalry i care about is northern ireland and those damn cypriots.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What part of London did you live? I lived in London in the mid 90's, I am constantly over in London now, the anti irish sentiment does not exist imo,I have never experienced it, none of my friends have experienced it.

Anyway think we should get back on topic as we have gone way off topic.

you haven't worn an irish jersey around i'd say thats pretty much certain to assume.

i remember playing football one day with the ireland jersey on and out of nowhere some grown man started abusing me...throwing out all the usual crap and whats worse I heard its even worse in birmingham.

lucky for me i wasn't a sensetive kid but i'd say others would take it much worse.

OpenRoad I lived near Croydon.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I'm frequently in London and have never had a bad experience, in fact the complete opposite with locals, you should give it another go some day :)

• Advertisement

Ive been there since(2004 for ireland matches against Nigeria and Jamacia) and in isolation its grand. I'm not saying its rampant but it does exist.

you haven't worn an irish jersey around i'd say thats pretty much certain assume.

i remember playing football one day with the ireland jersey on and out of nowhere some grown man started abusing me...throwing out all the usual crap and whats worse I heard its even worse in birmingham.

No I haven't worn an Ireland top, but up and down the country you will see Irish people with massive Irish flags every weekend at English grounds, Irish people wearing Celtic tops at English matches and they never get any hassle, I have even seen Irish flags hanging out of peoples appartment windows in London :), as said I'm sorry you expereinced negative things but I have seen the reverse here where people wearing England tops in Dublin have got some terrible abuse and have had to leave pubs because of it, but I would hate to think they would write us off as a people cause of it ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, i put up with the same crap when i moved to Dublin, and i'm actually Irish! People are idiots, if you have an English accent, then you must be English!! My surname is Byrne ffs.

So yeah, there are retards on both sides of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyway back to the footie...

Looks like its going to be 4-3-3, with Gerrard in the left side of a narrow midfield.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is this being shown live on TV? I had a look though the sky guide and couldn't see it on Sky Sport or Setanta.

It's on Setanta Ireland & UTV.

Kick off at 5.15pm.. you were probably looking at 8pm?

Yeah, i put up with the same crap when i moved to Dublin, and i'm actually Irish! People are idiots, if you have an English accent, then you must be English!! My surname is Byrne ffs.

So yeah, there are retards on both sides of the water.

yet you support the english national team presumably because of the crap you put up with here. fair enough.

yet you support the english national team presumably because of the crap you put up with here. fair enough.
    I support the English national team because I lived there since i was a baby until i was 11, i practically grew up there, i saw no reason to change who i supported just because i moved back to Ireland.

Presume away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

throwing out all the usual crap and whats worse I heard its even worse in birmingham.

never had any anti-irish sentient directed at me in the west midlands (or anywhere in england for that matter), and im over there every second week for villa home games, and used to live in wolverhampton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Its not as bad as it used to be, sure theyve even given Ireland their own section on the stormfront website.

Advertisement