Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Squad for game vs Nottm Forest

• 25-09-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1061792/Republic-boss-Trapattoni-throws-challenge-young-stars.html?ITO=1490

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni will run the rule over some of his promising youngsters in the run-up to next month's World Cup qualifier against Cyprus.

The Italian today named a squad of 22 for a challenge match against Nottingham Forest at Dalymount Park on Thursday, October 9, six days before the Cypriots head for Croke Park.

Alex Bruce, Andy Keogh and Shane Long, who were part of the senior squad for the qualifiers against Georgia and Montenegro earlier this month, are included, as are Joe Murphy, Kieren Westwood, Kevin Foley, Darren O'Dea, Darren Potter, Wes Hoolahan, Martin Rowlands, Owen Garvan and Sean Scannell, who were on the post-season trip to Portugal in May.

There are also places for Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes, whose late double on Tuesday night helped his side avoid a Carling Cup shock at the hands of League One Northampton, Stoke's Liam Lawrence and Blackburn trio Eddie Nolan, Keith Treacy and Keith Andrews.

"This game will give me an important opportunity to work closely with many of our talented players," Trapattoni told www.fai.ie.

"We have another eight games ahead of us in our challenge for World Cup qualification, and I have no doubt that some of this squad will be called upon to play their part.

"I want to thank our scouting team and our Under-21 manager Don Givens for identifying many new players who are performing well this year.

"I have already worked with some of this squad during our time in Portugal and I look forward to working with those I have not already seen.

"The October 9 game will form part of an important build-up to our first home World Cup qualifier match against Cyprus the following week."

Squad: Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe), Keiren Westwood (Coventry), Kevin Foley (Wolves), Alex Bruce (Ipswich), Darren O'Dea (Celtic), Stephen Ward (Wolves), Paddy McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Eddie Nolan (Blackburn), Andy Keogh (Wolves), Darron Gibson (Manchester United), Darren Potter (Wolves), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich), Martin Rowlands (QPR), Owen Garvan (Ipswich), Shane Long (Reading), Caleb Folan (Hull), Sean Scannell (Crystal Palace), Noel Hunt (Reading),

Liam Lawrence (Stoke), Keith Treacy (Blackburn), Keith Andrews (Blackburn), Anthony Stokes (Sunderland).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Going to head along to this myself I'd say, question is, will Dalymount be big enough? Should get a good turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH. No Brian Murphy, that is a joke. Fahey should also have been selected.

Suprised to see no Jamie McCarthy either but he's very young.

Also no Chris McCann who has been very good so far this year.

He should have Andy Reid in this team, and see the guy in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Another slap in the face for the LoI.

Fúck you FAI.

in fairness though Murphy and others have a match the following day which is more important than a 'B' team match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Des wrote: »
    Another slap in the face for the LoI.

Fúck you FAI.

Like clockwork :rolleyes:

Seeing as you yourself said there is nobody in the EL fit for international football EL players taking up space on this would accomplish....what, exactly?

• Advertisement

shane86 wrote: »

Seeing as you yourself said there is nobody in the EL fit for international football EL players taking up space on this would accomplish....what, exactly?

Probably the same as having the dross from the lower English leagues tbh.

After the results achieved by the LoI teams in Europe this season, I would have though a manager of the supposed class of Trapatoni would have at least had the gumption to check out a few of the players.

Seemingly not though.

I'm not aware if he's even been to any games.

The National team set up, it's management and the FAI are a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

shane86 wrote: »

He didnt say there was noone fit for B level, did he?

Murphy and Fahey should at least be in this squad. Joke.

Trapattoni said that League of Ireland is comparible to Serie B.

Also I wouldn't say there is much lower league 'dross' there. ALL play in high end Championship teams and EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good to see Weso in the squad, but as said better players in the LoI than a few of the spuad.

Yet he fails to include players in his selection from the LoI, but has players from League 1.

As I said.

A joke.

• Advertisement

there is no league one players there des.

there is no league one players there des.

Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I agree that the LoI players should have gotten a look in, Glen Crowe (although tried out before), Eamon Zayed, Keith Fahy annd Dave Mooney (although now a Championship player) all should have been given a chance. As a Forest supporter i'm delighted at this chance to see my club play my country, me thinks both branches of the our supporters club in this country will organise a trip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I would have though a manager of the supposed class of Trapatoni would have at least had the gumption to check out a few of the players.
    Tauren wrote: »
    "I want to thank our scouting team and our Under-21 manager Don Givens for identifying many new players who are performing well this year."

I think the scouting of new players is delegated. Afaik Trapattoni is based in Italy most of the time. Right or wrong he has got 2 reasonable results so far. the questions will come if things start to go wrong.

grenache wrote: »
    Dave Mooney (although now a Championship player) all should have been given a chance.

I'm actually surprised Mooney isn't in the squad now that he's taken the magic flight in the aeroplane of aweseomeness to play in England.

don givens is a joke

don givens is a joke

Now, this I agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Fcuk off Trappa.

Westwood in there because of his one good play off game last year.
    Brian Murphy should be in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

SantryRed wrote: »
    Fcuk off Trappa.

Westwood in there because of his one good play off game last year.
    Brian Murphy should be in there.

Completely agree. Westwood was even quoted as saying that he "doesn't feel irish", which makes it even more insulting.

I think a couple of LOI players should at least be given a chance. A good international manager would try out any good potential players regardless of what league their in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I can't quite fathom the logic in flying the entire squad in from England, to play a meaningless friendly against a team from England.

Not going to dwell on the squad, or any of that, but I'd imagine the cost involved will defeat the purpose? Won't make a huge amount of money from the tickets, then there's the rent of Dalymount, transport, Forest's fee, etc. Surely it'd make more sense to just play the thing over there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Fri. 10 October Bray Wanderers v Derry City Carlisle Grounds 7.45pm
    Fri. 10 October Cork City v Finn Harps Turner's Cross 7.45pm
    Fri. 10 October Drogheda United v Bohemians United Park 7.45pm
    Fri. 10 October St. Patrick's Athletic v Cobh Ramblers Richmond Park 7.45pm
    Fri. 10 October Shamrock Rovers v UCD Tolka Park 8.00pm
    Sat. 11 October Sligo Rovers v Galway United The Showgrounds 8.00pm

"Preferably we’d have liked to play against a League of Ireland selection but that won’t happen because we’re right in the middle of the league.

So we’ll be looking at a club side from Europe or England, Scotland or Wales."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

eirebhoy wrote: »
    "Preferably we’d have liked to play against a League of Ireland selection but that won’t happen because we’re right in the middle of the league.

So we’ll be looking at a club side from Europe or England, Scotland or Wales."
    Wheres this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Glad to see Rowlands finally called up. But whats wrong with the likes of Brady etc to open their eyes to Brian Murphy, Fahey and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

"Preferably we’d have liked to play against a League of Ireland selection but that won’t happen because we’re right in the middle of the league."

The FAI roll out this excuse a lot to justify not picking LOI players.

A LOI selection versus the selected team would have been a great oppurtunity for Trappatoni to see the best of the LOI as well as getting to see his fringe players. Im sure the LOI clubs wouldnt have minded postponing matches for a week.

Other leagues don't play matches during internationals so it wouldnt cause too much hassle.

I can't believe people are actually falling for more of that clown's bullshít.

If the FAI really wanted to have a game between the National Side and a LoI XI they wouldn't have scheduled it for the run in of the LoI.

It's as if they are blaming the LoI for having the cheek to play games at a time scheduled by the FAI for jaysis sake.

More lip service, but nothing more.

Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well its not true.

How can it be? Comparing the populations of the two countries for a start.

I agree that, below the championship, we should be comparing LOI players in the same vain as League 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Slap in the face for Murphy and for LoI.

Should have stuck with Platinum One and shown these Old Trafford corporates the door.

I'm actually surprised Mooney isn't in the squad now that he's taken the magic flight in the aeroplane of aweseomeness to play in England.

Did that actually ever happen? Can't think of it tbh. O'Callaghan? Byrne? Crowe?

Doyle wasn't called up just because he moved to Reading. He was called up because he was in form.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/4287096.stm

I think Alan Bennet is the only good example to be fair.

• Advertisement

Jason Byrne got his cap while he was a Shels player. (cap, me bollix, he got injury time in a friendly game in Poland)

Crowe was a Bohs player.

O'Callaghan was in an Ireland squad? When?

Advertisement