Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Love/Hate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I will fight you.

Kathryn is great on the telly because i want ride the hole off her.

She is James Nesbitt in drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

It's easily the best show from RTE over the last couple of years.
    Most people I know find it entertaining.

I think some people over rate it because its irish and some people think it's **** because it's Irish.
    Some of the posters here would probably think it's a decent show if it was set in Oakland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

theres not many series on tv that has me waiting for it to come back, but Love/Hate is one of them. Its stylish and well done which is what makes a show to me like The Killing (US one)

Its like an irish Sopranos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

MS.ing wrote: »

Blasphemer!

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Blasphemer!

only difference is the accent, location, budget and car reges

vetinari wrote: »
    It's easily the best show from RTE over the last couple of years.

thers a back handed compliment if I ever heard one! - thats not saying much tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

The acting, writing, plot, direction, editing, cinematography would also be miles ahead. If we're breaking it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Not saying I'm addicted, but I've been eating my sim cards after every call I make. It's becoming expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

thers a back handed compliment if I ever heard one! - thats not saying much tbh

It wasn't meant as back handed! It's a good show period.
    Imo it does stand up well against most of the big US TV series.
    Sure Sopranos and Breaking Bad are better than it but you're talking about some of the best shows ever made there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Most American TV series are shite. Considering that the producers of 'Love/Hate' have a fraction of what most US TV shows have, they do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

And quality of acting and storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Some of the acting is poor, but it's the best series RTE has produced in a long, long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think it's the best Irish show there has been in a long time. But hey, it's not for everyone like anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

theres not many series on tv that has me waiting for it to come back, but Love/Hate is one of them. Its stylish and well done which is what makes a show to me like The Killing (US one)

That is insulting to The Sopranos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Never seen it. Watching guttersnipes murder each other and intimidate and rob decent people is not my idea of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Brego888 wrote: »
    Just finished the first season of Love/Hate.
    What the hell was all the fuss about? It's like fair city on steroids

Dunno, it's whether you prefer to watch a bunch of paranoid men shoot one another on occasion or a bunch of paranoid women stab each other in the back every ep... choose your poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Love/Hate is the best show on RTE :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

mikeym wrote: »
    Love/Hate is the best show on RTE :D

I think it's the best thing they've ever made. I can't believe it even got made considering how graphic parts of it are.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Reindeer wrote: »
    Dunno, it's whether you prefer to watch a bunch of paranoid men shoot one another on occasion or a bunch of paranoid women stab each other in the back every ep... choose your poison.

You should check out "Glenroe":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Aww-roii Tommy!!!!

Nidge, ledgebag!!!

See him in real life though? The state of him. He has like black hair. Rough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Tony EH wrote: »
    The introduction of Fran took it up several notches.

Yeah the development of Fran and also the introduction of the IRA really improved it, I think.

Even it's not to people's taste, it's good to see decent indigenous drama being made here.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have all series of Love/Hate on DVD. It's okay, but doesn't come close to living up to the hype surrounding it.

Take away the Irish/Dublin accents and we would barely be talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I think this is an excellent series. Season 1 was too short at 4 episodes but it did well in that 4 episodes. The last 2 of the 4 being very exciting and tense. Some called it Fair City on speed, etc. In fairness, Fair City ain't a bad soap imo: it is often much stronger than many of the British ones. Fair City ironically is at its best when we have drug dealer characters in it like Billy Meehan. Like those in Love/Hate, FC's drug dealers are often based on real life ones.

I think everyone expected Love/Hate to be yet another Big Bow Wow or Trouble in Paradise but most were taken aback at how good it was. Season 2 built things up and by then the series was cemented as a regular and removed any doubts.

Season 3 was the absolute best and with rape scenes and savage fights with lots of blood, this went way beyond anything on Irish TV from previous times, yes, inclusive of previous seasons of Love/Hate itself. Season 3 was criticised for its extreme violence. But in these 6 episodes, we see what real gangland is: violence, death, fear and deals.

Season 4 I think was excellent too but because it followed the best season (3), it disappointed many. Yet, it is to me the second best and also the second most violent. Nidge has been one of these character like Dallas' JR Ewing who originally was not even meant to be the main character but who became the main character due to public demand. He is violent, cunning, ruthless and ambitious but also can be kind, generous and very likeable.

What annoys me is when people start comparing it to US shows about drug dealers and gangsters. Each show should be regarded in its own right. There is only one Miami Vice, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. Similarly, there is only one Love/Hate. All these shows do deal with drug dealers and gangsters/organised crime and in very different ways. Some are solely gangster orientated, some are cops v gangsters and some mix the two. All are excellent shows when at their best. But none of them can really be compared to each other specifically. Love/Hate is not the Irish remake of any of the above either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

It's a documentary made in Dublin right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I think it's brilliant, really well produced. Don't be put off by the first couple of seasons, it gets much better from season three on, but it helps to watch the first seasons to know who's who and what their history is.

Birroc wrote: »
    It's a documentary made in Dublin right?

You could say that!! I remember watching Love/Hate the last few years and seeing a gangland shooting reported on the news before it. Darren then went ahead and did the very same in Love/Hate!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I think it's brilliant, really well produced. Don't be put off by the first couple of seasons, it gets much better from season three on, but it helps to watch the first seasons to know who's who and what their history is.

Thought the consensus was that season three was the weakest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Just finished the first season of Love/Hate.
    What the hell was all the fuss about? It's like fair city on steroids

It's more like Fair City with guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

First couple of seasons was very good imho. But really running out of ideas in the last season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

5uspect wrote: »
    Thought the consensus was that season three was the weakest?
    Really? I thought the consensus was that 3 was the best

• Advertisement

The guy wrote: »
    It's more like Fair City with guns.

Fair city had its fair share of guns and gangsters too. Remember Sylvester Garrigan, Billy Meehan, the Flynns, Paddy Bishop, etc. This current Robbie guy does not seem too wholesome either. Dan in self defense putting this guy braindead in the hospital is a little too like the Tommy story in Love/Hate though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

They'll never better Bracken.

One of my earliest memories as a child was one morning when I was home sick from school and listening to a radio show where people where phoning in and complaining that you could see the shape of one of the cast's nipples in a scene. She was wearing a woolen jumper apparently. I've tried to find the scene but no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

What the hell was all the fuss about?

Best thing on Irish telly since the whole Glenroe/tractor incident!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Season? Season???
    I fckin hate that usage.

SERIES.
    SERIES.
    SERIES.

Bog off with yer feckin sycophantic Americanisms.

Boils my piss, that does.

PS yes, it's overhyped and basically ****.

Because calling just one year of a show and the entire show itself both a 'series' isn't confusing. You can't deny there's a certain logic to calling them seasons, they do only come around at certain times of the year ;)

There's a good article on the difference here if you care THAT much

The words are pretty much synonymous but saying that 'season' is an affectation is silly. If anything insisting that 'season' is American and therefore wrong is the real affectation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Tbh, it's a rip off of an Australian show called under belly.
    If you haven't seen it, then go on the net and buy it. ;)
    You're welcome

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

yes They all die in the end.
    That's the happy ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

deco nate wrote: »
    You're welcome

My brother was always telling me about that show and how amazing it was when he was living in Oz at the time.
    Still haven't got around to watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

deco nate wrote: »
    You're welcome
    The only similarity is the subject of gangland. Otherwise they are very different. Underbelly is a reenactment of true events, Love/hate is fiction.
    I've seen the first 3 seasons of underbelly and found it a little cheesy. Season 3 was good in fairness though so once Netflix puts up the rest i'll watch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

EyeSight wrote: »
    The only similarity is the subject of gangland. Otherwise they are very different. Underbelly is a reenactment of true events, Love/hate is fiction.
    I've seen the first 3 seasons of underbelly and found it a little cheesy. Season 3 was good in fairness though so once Netflix puts up the rest i'll watch them
    The first season of love /hate shares so many scenes that were in under belly , it's crazy.

But it's been a long time since I've seen it. Yet at the time I first saw love /hate I said to myself that it Was a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone watching Gomorrah?
    Italian crime series on Atlantic.
    Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

blade1 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Gomorrah?
    Italian crime series on Atlantic.
    Love it!

Nah, sod' em.

/sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a lovely big TV forum for all you TV delights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement