Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early withdrawl from BOI 40 day notice savings account

Options
  • 19-04-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

I couldnt find an answer to my question on the T&C for the account, so can anyone tell me is it possible to withdraw funds from the Bank of Ireland 40 day notice account without giving the full/any notice period?

I realize this would invoke some penalties and cost probably me the interest earned during the account period, but I'd hate to make the wrong assumption and end up sturggling while waiting for funds to come through.

Anyone that could give me some guide one way or the other would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

tommiejoie wrote: »
    Hi,

I couldnt find an answer to my question on the T&C for the account, so can anyone tell me is it possible to withdraw funds from the Bank of Ireland 40 day notice account without giving the full/any notice period?

I realize this would invoke some penalties and cost probably me the interest earned during the account period, but I'd hate to make the wrong assumption and end up sturggling while waiting for funds to come through.

Anyone that could give me some guide one way or the other would be great.

From the T&C's

http://www.bankofireland.ie/includes/personal/pdfs/terms/40_day_set_notice_terms_conditions.pdf

Point 3.1.
    3.1 Withdrawals may be made from your Account, provided that
    you give 40 calendar days' written notice of your intention to
    make a withdrawal. All notices of withdrawal must be given in
    writing at your Account opening Bank of Ireland branch. At the
    end of the notice period, your nominated Bank of Ireland Account
    will be credited. Alternatively, funds may be collected from your
    account opening branch.

However under the "right to cancel" term it would appear that you reserve the right to close the account and this is where I find the conditions a bit unclear.
    You have the option to close the Account at any time by sending
    a notice in writing to your account opening Bank of Ireland
    branch. The cleared balance of your Account as at the date of
    closure
    will be repaid to you together with interest (if any) and
    less any DIRT outstanding and any outstanding liabilities owed to
    us in respect of your Account.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

stepbar wrote: »
    From the T&C's
    However under the "right to cancel" term it would appear that you reserve the right to close the account and this is where I find the conditions a bit unclear.

This is what I found confusing also. Really must call into the bank, just havn't gotten round to it yet. Will post an answer as soon as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

The way this works is that you must give 40 days notice of your intention to close your account. On the date that your 40 day notice elapses, the full closing balance will be transferred, or can be collected from your branch. Hope this helps.

I finally got an answer, it is not possible to close the account without the full 40 days notice. The banks systems will not allow the request to be processed early.

I thought that was what I told you on the 23rd April.

• Advertisement

sarahlulu wrote: »
    I thought that was what I told you on the 23rd April.

Not exactly, my original query was if it is possible to close the account without the notice period, and take any penalties that applied. This was possible on a similar account I had with another bank, but not BOI. The T&C's didn't clarify this, nor did your answer IMO.

Thanks though.

I said 'you must give 40 days notice'.

Advertisement