Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Banking

Options
  • 01-05-2010 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Heys guys.

I'm 18 and I'm a full-time student in college. Until now I have never had a bank account but I got a new job recently and I want to open one up and I have a few questions.

Where would be the best place for me to open an account? Permanent TSB have a student account with hardly any bank charges that looks ideal?

And I buy a good amount of stuff online so I was wondering would I be able to get a laser card and a credit card? I'm not sure about laser cards but I'm guessing since I have no previous accounts the chances of me getting a credit card are pretty slim?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

As far as i know all the banks offer student accounts with no charges, Well I used to have a AIB Student account and there were no charges.

Who you bank with is your choice, they all offer Laser / Credit cards etc, Though they might not give you one.

AIB Operate Laser as far as i Know and they should give you one handy, I did a switch account to PTSB a few years ago and they wouldnt give me a laser for 6months until they saw how i operated my account, Something to do with I could use my laser ieven if i had no cash in it with them, So I went back to AIB and havent looked back.

AIB's online banking is better than PTSB, I cant comment on BOI / Ulster bank becuase i've never seen them, I have my mortgage with BOI and found them to be very nice and easy to deal with.

My Opinions
    BOI Good Irish Bank - Seems to have Gotten with the times
    AIB Good Irish Bank - Is trying to get with the times but i dont think yet - Good Online Services
    USlter Bank - Still a bit stuck in the old ways noses up etc
    PTSB - Seem difficult to deal with I dont like them, Poor Online Services

Again this is all just my opinion.

It always make sence to pick a bank thats easy to get to also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

When I was a student I was with PTSB and I wouldn't really recommend them. Every September if I didn't bring them my student card they started charging me fees. I don't know if all banks do this but it was inconvenient. They wouldn't give me a laser card or a credit card. My friends that had their student accounts with other banks had laser cards and student credit cards with a €600 limit. I seemed to be getting a poor service in comparison. My fault for not taking my business elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you go with Ulster Bank you'll get a Visa Debit card, so it will work anywhere online like a credit card but the payments will come directly from your current account. You're only 18 so there's absolutely no reason for you to get a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

I went back to ulster bank. there great and friendly and you get the visa debt card ideal for online and for going away , online banking is easy to use. hope that helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Yes, try and avoid a credit card if you don't really need it. I didn't get one until I was a postgrad. I had a credit card just so I could buy things off the internet, book flights etc...I opened an Ulster Bank account last week mainly for the debit card so I will now have no use for my credit card. Debit card all the way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement