Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Squad announced

• 05-10-2008 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

Michael Owen fails to make squad, Wright Philips recalled.

England squad: James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Carson (West Brom); Brown (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Lescott (Everton), Upson (West Ham), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea); Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Walcott (Arsenal), Barry (Aston Villa), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Downing (Middlesbrough), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City); Heskey (Wigan), Crouch (Portsmouth), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Michael Owen fails to make squad, Wright Philips recalled.

England squad: James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham), Carson (West Brom); Brown (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Lescott (Everton), Upson (West Ham), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea); Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Walcott (Arsenal), Barry (Aston Villa), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Downing (Middlesbrough), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City); Heskey (Wigan), Crouch (Portsmouth), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth).

LMAO

Really basing his selection on form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is Joe Cole injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

LMAO

Really basing his selection on form.

He mustn't have seen Green for West Ham today :D

Des wrote: »
    Is Joe Cole injured?

Read in the fantasy football thread that he was.

i wonder what he doesn't like about young? his awfulness in friendlies must really be eched in capello's mind. at least he doesn't pander to the press.

is pander a word? sounds good anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Whats the point in including Beckham now with SWP and Walcott in the squad?

he also has lescott in the squad...jesus.

Seems to be including some players on merit (Beckham and Lescott) and leaving out players that he just doesn't like (Owen and Young). Strange:confused::confused::confused:

Surprised with no Owen, can see him pushing for a move in January

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Surprised with no Owen, can see him pushing for a move in January

If he was at any other club but Newcastle with his form this season he'd be in the squad for sure and more than likely the starting XI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

glenjamin wrote: »
    Whats the point in including Beckham now with SWP and Walcott in the squad?

Because Beckham provides a completely different option to both of them, totally different style of player who can alter the way the team plays massively in one sub. Great sub to have.

What Young has done to not get into this squad is utterly beyond me, especially when you see Downing in there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Des wrote: »
    Is Joe Cole injured?

Yep, his foot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Young not being in these squads is an absolute disgrace, and just makes me hope even moreso that Capello fails miserably.

no offence DSB but like the andy reid situation, i think capello knows a little more than me or you. plus he won 4-1 in croatia, so its not like he has anything to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

If he was at any other club but Newcastle with his form this season he'd be in the squad for sure and more than likely the starting XI.

i'm not sure, paricularly about the starting 11. I don't think he fits into the current system Capello employs really. he operates better in a more traditional 4-4-2, whether Capello seems to be developing a 4-2-3-1. he can't lead a line, nor do the in the hole role, so i can see why Capello is overlooking him.

though i would still have him in the squad ahead of Defoe, although i'd actually be more likely to pick Agbonlahor head of both myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

no offence DSB but like the andy reid situation, i think capello knows a little more than me or you. plus he won 4-1 in croatia, so its not like he has anything to prove.

He sure doesn't, and I'm well aware he is of a significantly higher pedigree than myself in the managerial stakes, but this aside, managers do get things wrong, and I would consider Young not being in the first 11, Capello doing something wrong. Him not even getting a look in to the squad is just ridiculous and with Young being my favourite player outside the EL it's always going to make me fairly bitter towards the man.

i understand there is no reason that young a player with 17 assists last season is not given a chance against this nation(not bothered spelling it) or Belarus and yeah agree definetly managers get it wrong(trapattoni with andy reid) but maby he is being very critical and just doesn't have any plans for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'd see no risk in haveing Owen on the bench, if you're a goal down and 20 to go his is a face I'd like to see!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Despite his lack of success/gametime in the nightmare his US jaunt has become Beckham has generally performed great in any England match Ive seen lately, passing, set pieces etc. Valid inclusion IMO.

Any idea who is showing the match next Saturday? Seeing as we arent playing it is something to watch (if it is on either BBC, ITV or the free Setanta channel). Who is broadcasting Scotland (assuming theyre in action Saturday, not sure as it is a smaller group)

Particularly want to see how many English turn out at the Kazakh game in fake moustache and Borat bathing suit :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great to see SWP back in. Fully deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

shane86 wrote: »
    Particularly want to see how many English turn out at the Kazakh game in fake moustache and Borat bathing suit :eek: :pac:

"Why you laugh?" Oh that's right, England are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

If this is true, then how come a fair few of the lads from Bottenham Lolspurs make it in, without any form.

Say what you want about Newcastle, and that its hard to argue with a man that beat Croatia 4-1, but not having Owen in the squad is a pisstake.

As is the exclusion of Young, Kirkland, and Gabi, and the inclusion of Green, Downing, Bentley, Bridge, and Lescott.

i think its been confirmed that agbonlahor is fairly ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Young should be included. Gabby is debatable
    But as a Villa fan I could give a rat's that they aren't in it. A break will do them good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great to see SWP back in. Fully deserved.

Absolutely. Let's hope he can move on from his terrible move to Chelsea, fantastic exciting attacking player wasted at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If this is true, then how come a fair few of the lads from Bottenham Lolspurs make it in, without any form.

On top of the D- for geography, you get an E for maths.
    As is the exclusion of Young, Kirkland, and Gabi, and the inclusion of Green, Downing, Bentley, Bridge, and Lescott.

And an NG for English comprehension.

In case you're confused cha', there's one Spurs player (Jenas) in the squad, Bentley has been dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

For someone supposedly injured, Joey Cole scored an excellent goal yesterday. Hmmm.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Savman wrote: »
    For someone supposedly injured, Joey Cole scored an excellent goal yesterday. Hmmm.....

He got injured after he scored...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he went off injured didnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

zAbbo wrote: »
    He got injured after he scored...
    I stand corrected Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As I said when the last squad was announced - Young's absence must have something to do with his attitude and behavior off the pitch in the presence of Cappello during the friendly trips he was included in. In any case, given the toughest hurdle in their group is now cleared by some margin - if Young is out in the cold now he will probably remain so until after the 2010 WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Lets not get carried away. England won 4-1 against ten men. Granted they were one nil up when Croatia had a man sent off. One could hardly suppose croatia would have rolled over so easily with 11 men on the pitch.
    Capello still has plenty to prove. If Englnad don't qualify do you think the media or indeed the fans will be happy because they beat Croatia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

What's the point in including Bullard earlier on, not playing him and then dropping him a month later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away. England won 4-1 against ten men. Granted they were one nil up when Croatia had a man sent off. One could hardly suppose croatia would have rolled over so easily with 11 men on the pitch.
    But it was Croatia without Krancjar and Eduardo so they quite possibly would have. I agree that it doesn't mean Capello can start resting on his laurels though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Savman wrote: »
    I stand corrected Ted.

Although Scolari said he's be no problem for the national team.

Personally I think they should risk him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No Young is a joke really but obviously Capello doesn't like the chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    What's the point in including Bullard earlier on, not playing him and then dropping him a month later?
    Thats a bit of a silly question. Cappello took him in to have a closer look at the lad. He's done that now and has decided that there is better options than him at this moment in time.

If you brought a chick home from a nightclub and next day said your goodbyes do you think your friends would be saying "Whats the point in DEmeant0r bringing that girl home if he's not planning on seeing her again?" Of course they wouldn't, they'd say "DEmeant0r got his hole last night". And that's what Capello would say about Bullard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

DSB wrote: »
    He sure doesn't, and I'm well aware he is of a significantly higher pedigree than myself in the managerial stakes, but this aside, managers do get things wrong, and I would consider Young not being in the first 11, Capello doing something wrong. Him not even getting a look in to the squad is just ridiculous and with Young being my favourite player outside the EL it's always going to make me fairly bitter towards the man.
    Is that because he's got a massive schlong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Pighead wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a silly question. Cappello took him in to have a closer look at the lad. He's done that now and has decided that there is better options than him at this moment in time.

If you brought a chick home from a nightclub and next day said your goodbyes do you think your friends would be saying "Whats the point in DEmeant0r bringing that girl home if he's not planning on seeing her again?" Of course they wouldn't, they'd say "DEmeant0r got his hole last night". And that's what Capello would say about Bullard.
    Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

ROFL! Okay, you've said enough. Not sure how he can judge Bullard based on a couple of training sessions though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pighead is the new Ian Holloway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,575 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Capello slept with Bullard? No wonder he dropped him it must have been awkward.

Villain wrote: »
    No Young is a joke really but obviously Capello doesn't like the chap.

Absolutely shocking. How Downing is in there over Ashley Young defies logic.

Advertisement