Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Priming Sugar

Options
  • 26-11-2014 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm bottling 23L of Cooper's wheat beer that I added a can of LME Wheat and 250g candied sugar too at the weekend.

Rather than adding the sugar individually into bottles, how much priming sugar would I need to add directly into it before bottling and what type of sugar is best?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Here is a handy priming-calculator http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Roughly, a 140g of table sugar per 23L :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I use the cheapest white sugar in the supermarket, sometimes this is caster sugar, sometimes ordinary white sugar. you use so little it makes no odds to the flavour

I use this
    http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php to calculate the sugar amount, and it's usually like what Oblivious said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ok thanks. Though the calculator is telling me i need nearly 300g of table sugar for the wheat beer at 23l at 23 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I added a can of LME Wheat and 250g candied sugar too at the weekend.

Was the very start of brewing? Or did you add this after it had fermented a while?

Either way, are you sure it's ready to bottle?

Ok thanks. Though the calculator is telling me i need nearly 300g of table sugar for the wheat beer at 23l at 23 degrees?

5g per L is the approximate calculation, which online cal did you use?

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    5g per L is the approximate calculation, which online cal did you use?

The one you linked him gives 295g table sugar, for 23 litres at 23 celsius, aiming for 4.0 Vol CO2 (Middle of the range given for wheat beer carbonation).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That sounds about right for the numbers, but 23C and 4 vols of CO2? I think you should bring both of those figures down.

banjopaul wrote: »
    The one you linked him gives 295g table sugar, for 23 litres at 23 celsius, aiming for 4.0 Vol CO2 (Middle of the range given for wheat beer carbonation).

You would want to bring the Vol of CO2 a little, most bottles are rated to 4.0 Vol CO2 so you could be hitting the point in which they become bottle bombs.

I agree, just saying where the OP had likely got the figures for priming sugar weight from. The link to the calculator in post 2 says up to Vol 4.5 for wheat beers, and he gave the temp of 23C himself.

I agree, just saying where the OP had likely got the figures for priming sugar weight from. The link to the calculator in post 2 says up to Vol 4.5 for wheat beers, and he gave the temp of 23C himself.

Thanks guys. No its not ready to bottle yet. Its fermenting at 23-23 degrees at the minute. When I bottle it will likely be cooler so my calculations are skewed cus I'm just doing them the way they are at the min. Either way, I should bring c02 vol down anyway? 3.6/3.8 or something?

• Advertisement

Was the very start of brewing? Or did you add this after it had fermented a while?

Either way, are you sure it's ready to bottle?

Added all sugar at very start. I was being bold but struggle to get gravity down enough usually. Might need better yeast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I should bring c02 vol down anyway? 3.6/3.8 or something?
    Yes! TBH I'd go even lower: 3 or even below. Under-carbonated beer is a bit disappointing. Over-carbonated beer and you're cleaning beer off the ceiling and/or picking glass out of your face.

Advertisement