Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From car to motorbike????

Options
  • 29-01-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

ive been thinking of purchasing a vespa and getting rid or my car, both for financial and convience reasons, i have a full car driving licence but what do i need so as to drive a motorbike....

how much would insurance be for a 21 year old male on a vespa and how much would tax be.....

Just trying to figure would this be a viable option....

All advice welcome, thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

acer911 wrote: »

how much would insurance be for a 21 year old male on a vespa and how much would tax be.....

Big difference from going from a car to a vespa.

For a start you won't be protected from the elements, and secondly you won't carry the same loads.

Not saying it is not do-able, but they don't make the vespa any more so you are going towards an expense there for a start.

No idea what the insurance is like, but there are only a couple of companies so give them all a ring.

As for tax, I think it has gone up to €79 per anum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thirdly you must treat every other road user as an idiot, If you see a car at a T junction, you must assume he is going to pull out in front of you.

Personally I prefer the larger wheel diameters of a motorbike to a scooter and with government cutbacks we can expect to find a lot more potholes about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Never mind Nereid he's a biker,:D you can still get new Vespas both traditional manual geared (PX125, PX200) and automatic twist and go scooters ET2/4, LX/GT etc. Piaggio and LML are the 2 main companies to look out for. For a old style vespa PX try http://www.scooterisland.com/ in Dublin or http://www.southsidescooters.com/Home.html in Waterford. Keep an eye out in the buyandsell also donedeal and gumtree.

Secondhand you can pay anything between €1500 and €3000 for a decent px125cc/200cc depending if its a private sale or from a dealer. Try and get a 200cc if you are serious about getting a scooter as you can sit your full A test on one without having to rent a motorbike and have the hassle of learning foot controls. Riding a big wheeler can come later in your biking life...

Oh yeah 1998 onwards the PX came equipped with a front disk brake!

The PX design is better than twist and go's IMHO because
    - parts and accesories are widely available and pretty cheap.
    - Full metal design, so its better in a crash/fall, as plastic ends up in bits on the road.
    - Pretty reliable engines when stock.
    - can carry a spare wheel as standard under left panel.
    - nice big tool box can carry lock and big chain, gloves, decent toolbag and waterproofs on any given day.
    - can easily keep up with urban traffic, unlike most 50cc twist and go's.
    - They're a design classic.
    - They're fun to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Try and get a 200cc if you are serious about getting a scooter as you can sit your full A test on one without having to rent a motorbike and have the hassle of learning foot controls.

Are you sure?
    I thought that you had to have a 'geared' bike to get a full A licence.

If this is true, it could change my plans on getting into the world of motorbikes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Never mind Nereid he's a biker,:D

:D
    you can still get new Vespas both traditional manual geared

I stand corrected. Which "moped" company was it that said they were ceasing production of new "bikes" (:p) because of the new euro5 emmission regs? Or did they just reconsider?

Nah, being honest, I love the old style scooters (certainly to look at), but I just think that I agree a fraction more with Run_to_da_hills about the state of the roads.

I have to navigate carefully around several, erm, interesting potholes and surface semi removed stretches on my commute, and that is just on the M50!

My advice to the op, would be to keep the car and try a bike/scooter if that is affordable. Dare I say it, I appreciate the other half's yaris on occasion.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

P.C. wrote: »
    Are you sure?

If this is true, it could change my plans on getting into the world of motorbikes. :)

Most Vespas are geared - just the gearshift happens to work differently to standard motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Don't forget to include the cost of gear as well when deciding what to do and if you are going to get lessons.

You could easily go out and buy just a helmet and jacket but falling off a scooter still hurts the same as falling off a motorbike without the correct gear on.

Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
    Are you sure?

If this is true, it could change my plans on getting into the world of motorbikes.

Only the PX range of vespas are geared (manually operated on the left handbar lever by clutch and 4 speeed manual shift selector.) But you can indeed do the full A test on one of these vespas as long as its over 150cc and 'cos 150ccs are rarer in Ireland go for a PX200cc.

How long it the OPs daily commute? Is the supermarket close by for doing the shopping without a car either by walking or by scooter? As he's only 21 I'd say he could manage easily without the car for a year or 2 and see how it goes. Bikes and scooters are the way to go if you live in a city and we should encourage more to do so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Only the PX range of vespas are geared (manually operated on the left handbar lever by clutch and 4 speeed manual shift selector.) But you can indeed do the full A test on one of these vespas as long as its over 150cc and 'cos 150ccs are rarer in Ireland go for a PX200cc.

How long it the OPs daily commute? Is the supermarket close by for doing the shopping without a car either by walking or by scooter? As he's only 21 I'd say he could manage easily without the car for a year or 2 and see how it goes. Bikes and scooters are the way to go if you live in a city and we should encourage more to do so...

Big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jimmyc06

i'd say go for a bigger bike, i currently have a 2002 125cc Honda Varadero, great machine, handles well and very cheap to run. As well as this they look like a much bigger bike so get all the attention of having a really expensive bike!!! I'm 21 and the insurance is about 300 euro for the year with tax at 60 euro or something and i've only got a prov. licence. I'm looking to sell at the moment so if your interested you can p.m. me for details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Gurgle wrote: »
    Most Vespas are geared - just the gearshift happens to work differently to standard motorbikes.

All this is news to me.. and good news! Must start the searvch for a nice PX200 so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i would love one of the old vespas. Put a load of mirrors on it and get a parka jacket. Deadly looking things. Tax is feck all (thanks for reminding me me tax is up)oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

P.C. wrote: »
    Are you sure?

doesnt have to be geared, but if its automatic I believe you can only ride automatics with your full license then - much the same as for cars

I'm not saying vespas are manual/auto, Ive no experience with them and have no clue, Im just talkin bout the license and possible restrictions people may unknowingly get themselves into

Like I said already only the PX range of vespas are manually geared. Yes you can sit your Full A licence on this type of vespa, I did and passed a few years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 LabratCN

Scooter's are Gay. Very very Gay!! Unless it's a classic Vespa get yourself a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

LabratCN wrote: »
    Scooter's are Gay. Very very Gay!! Unless it's a classic Vespa get yourself a motorbike.

Vespa's are worse than scooters, rank lookin things :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

For a scooter to be gay, does it have to have sex with guys or with like... other scooters?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Hi OP,
    motorbikes, as a lot of people would lead you to believe, aren't that cheap to run.
    They are, on the other hand, great fun & will give you more time at home/in bed.

Defo get one, but don't expect the change to save you loads of cash, it won't.
    And another thing, you'll probably fall in love with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 LabratCN

ogriofa wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    motorbikes, as a lot of people would lead you to believe, aren't that cheap to run.
    They are, on the other hand, great fun & will give you more time at home/in bed.

Scooters are not motorbikes. They're transport. A to B in a city . Soul less horrible waste of two stroke they are. Get some nuts. Get a MOTORBIKE ride it and love it. :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

jimmyc06 wrote: »
    i'd say go for a bigger bike, i currently have a 2002 125cc Honda Varadero, great machine, handles well and very cheap to run. As well as this they look like a much bigger bike so get all the attention of having a really expensive bike!!! I'm 21 and the insurance is about 300 euro for the year with tax at 60 euro or something and i've only got a prov. licence. I'm looking to sell at the moment so if your interested you can p.m. me for details

Where did you get the insurance that cheap????

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by LabratCN
    Scooters are not motorbikes. They're transport. A to B in a city . Soul less horrible waste of two stroke they are. Get some nuts. Get a MOTORBIKE ride it and love it.

More bollox about scooters from people who dont seem to know much about them, the OP acer911 said he wanted to get a vespa, not a motorbike so why dont you just accept that? :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

ogriofa wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Surely they have to be cheaper to run than a car...???

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

I also have a full driving license for a car, do i need to do another test to drive a scotter or does that cover it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

depends when your license was issued

cheaper to run then a car alright - not as cheap initially as I thought (bike+gear+lessons+tax+insurance adds up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jimmyc06

markens2 wrote: »
    Where did you get the insurance that cheap????

Quinn direct

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Surely they have to be cheaper to run than a car...???

Haya, yeah, they're cheaper alright, but when you mention Scooter or a bike people automatically think €5 petrol and f all for road tax...
    Helmet/gloves and other gear should get into the 100s. Insurance can be v cheap though.

To be honest, I'm one of those guys you see with ALL the gear on. So when I say it costs a lot more than people think, it's because I get all the gear.

For bike or scooters...
    I'd also really recommend training. I've done an advanced training course (I ride a bike, but you can do it on scooters too, its more about how you behave on the road Vs bike trickery) This training saves me from an accident at least twice a week. It's saved my life at leat twice aswell!!!
    And if you pass this course you get great insurance discounts. That and you'll be a lot safer.
    Don't want to freak you out about the training, so do loads of reading online about safety tip and that will help.

Go for it - take it easy (ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

+ 1 for lessons.

Biker chics are cool.

First day I had a motor bike a girl jumped on the back of the bike on dame st at the lights, and said "lets go" ..... told her to get off (had no spare lid)

It was a good sign. Biker chics are cool.

Now all you need is a summer as well ......... Please god we have a summer.

If you get a motor bike - make sure to get motor bike trousers. You only have one pair of knees. Also gravel is not your friend (on the edges of round abouts and near traffic islands)

Google "avoiding motor bike accidents" theres loads of stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

No NCB for bikes - insurance is likely to be high. I think I paid something like 700 euro for a 50cc when I was 23, with no NCB and a provisional license.

It dropped to 250 the second year with 1 years NCB.

Only Quinn Direct, AON, Carole Nash & Adelaide do motorbike insurance, and car NCB doesn't mean squat.

If you're license has an 'M' tick on it then you can ride a moped up to 50cc, if it doesn't or you want to ride something bigger, you'll need an A learner's permit and a hi-viz jacker with an L on it :eek:

Advertisement