Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lissadell House owners v Sligo Co Co

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,531 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They were there with the permission of the previous owners. the new owners decided they didnt want all and sundry walking past their front. As there was no right of way they were entitled to do that. you seem upset that a court of law made it's decisions on the legalities of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm not upset at all - I simply refer you to the case of substance in this matter - that of the High Court. Read this report by RTE, hardly anti establishment.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1220/295752-lisadell/

The high court judgement is moot. The supreme court overturned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That is not what happened. For a long time The owner was a ward of court who couldn't have consented to trespassing.

Stop making up lies. Even the High Court found the right of way was only during certain hours,, so it just shows how poor the judgement in the High Court was.

Overturned on the very narrow grounds of how a public right of way is defined, if I recall correctly.

The High Court considered the substantive matter in detail, the case lasted 58 days, reported to cost €6million.

That's the rub. 'Natural justice' would indicate that the High Court was correct.

I've no more particular interest in it, I just followed it at the time. Personally I wouldn't go near the place and if advising tourists I'd tell them likewise. But each to our own judgements.

overturned is overturned. the high court made its decision on the wrong basis. courts of law are meant to uphold the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

To stop a tresspass on your property? I think it should cost a few grand most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

PO.

Post edited by Viscount Aggro on

Yip, and that’s all it would have cost if the CoCo checked their records to see if a legal right of way existed.

• Advertisement

The case is dead now, the current owners won and it can't be appealed further afaik.

The great pity is that it'll be used as a precedent in the grey and contentious matter of public rights of way around the state. We had/ perhaps still have a different way of looking at these matters in Ireland. Many landowners were happy to have the public crossing their land at times, once people respected it and caused no damage. This is still most evident in summer when river banks and beaches are visited by local communities, often on or accessed across private lands. This was how we did it without the need for the legislation found in say England or across other European states.

Here we had such a case of attested long standing public use and recognised as such in the High Court. The day these barristers had that overturned was a bad days work in terms of the public good. And that's what matters. They did no service to the state or the public good.

And so primary legislation is now needed to address this and regularise it and we may expect opposition from the big land owner lobbies. There was talk from some parties after the above case on this matter but things turn slowly it seems. Maybe it'll be part of some constitutional reform package as regards private property rights in general, as for varied reasons many believe these are too heavily weighted towards property owners. Understandably in the 1937 document perhaps due to our history, but times and needs change.

How can it be used as a precedent if it applied the letter of the law? Is this the first ever case related to right of way?

Would the precedent not have been if the Supreme Court hadn’t applied the law in relation to ROW?

There was, maybe still is a long running case over a claimed right of way in Wicklow, Enniskerry I think. I've lost track of it, last I heard another appeal.

In the Lissadell case Sligo County Council got involved, to their credit. Local authorities have on the whole been very, very tardy before this with listing & defending public right of ways that are not county roads. This case sent a further chill across the matter as far as I've heard, so it was a bad day for the plain people of Ireland.

I wonder if the people of Sligo think “it is too their credit” that the CoCo got involved, I suspect there are six million reasons why they don’t.

Applying the law shouldn’t send a chill down anyone’s body, except the eejits who brought this case against owners who were legally right in their objection to a ROW, which did not legally exist.

As you will know, there are private rights of way and public rights of way. Private rights of way have the subject of debate and new legislation in recent years in an attempt to tidy up the records of same and have them registered. Public rights of way are a different kettle of fish. The vast majority of public rights of way are the 'county roads' as defined by local authorities. Local authorities were asked a number of years ago to identify and list other public rights of way in their development plans: success of this may be exampled by Wicklow CoCos efforts https://data.gov.ie/dataset/public-rights-of-way-cdp2016-2022 - a mere handful in an entire county.

My understanding of the situation is that it was thought that as in the Lissadell case, that continuous public use in living memory would be enough to establish that a particular route was a public rights of way. This is what went before the High Court and the court agreed that this was a reasonable definition.

Our barrister friends appealed and established that no, continuous public use in living memory was not enough and that the landowner must have made a deed or some some other legal instrument that clearly stated such and such a route is dedicated as a public right of way.

As I pointed out above, this is completely contrary to the general practice of agreed access over generations. That is why this case was a bad day for the plain people of Ireland and why I've heard it has stalled (sent a chill) across other local authorities who might attempt to list and declare such public rights.

They did no service to the citizens of this state and this is why personally I hold them responsible and would not go near the place.

What is “agreed practice” in legal terms, and how does it relate to the legal definition of a ROW?

I appreciate you have a strong opinion on this, but the Supreme Court applied the law in relation to this dispute and found Sligo CoCo to be wrong.

Furze, if you buy a home, as part of the conveyance your solicitor does a search for any ROWs, you get an assurance from the CoCo that one does not exist, then a local Councillor tells you that Jimmy down the road has been walking across your garden since he was a nipper and that he has a right to continue to do so, you would not be too happy about that situation as it would have serious implications for your ownership, liability, your family’s sense of privacy and security etc. So while it is fine to take the moral high ground on this, the owners were correct to assert their legal rights, the Supreme Court confirmed their rights, and whether you care to admit it, in the same situation you would do exactly the same. You’ve just got the hump because these people are well off, which is sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A few grand wouldn't have paid for the photocopying in that case.

Au contraire Dave, if I purchased land or a house and learnt that traditionally for generations, the public used a certain track or boreen, then I would respect that. My objections to above have got nothing to do with wealth but rather what's in the interests of the public good.

Which is why primary legislation is required from the Oireachtas to allow local authorities to define & establish public rights of way that are not county roads etc. We live in an increasingly urbanised society and it is essential that the public can reasonably access the countryside and coast. If the model of traditional access is broken then a new legal framework is required. Quite possibly requires a constitutional referendum to clarify private property rights.

Do you mind me asking, are you a Freeman on The Land?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement