Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing Imagine to court?

• 11-02-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

what are the chances of winning the telecommunication company imagine in court?
    I'm wondering because I recently received Wimax from them and i'm paying for 7mb internet and all I have been getting was 1 or 2mb, I have been emailing them every day since I got it, and they always seem to have fixed the problem and sometimes i do get 7mb connection but only for an hour after they have messed around with something and then back down to 1 to 2 mb internet connection,

And if I cancel it I have to pay 100 euro fee, So their is no point canceling I personally think I am better of bringing them to court what do you all think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Read the small print, "up to 7mb" is in there I imagine, or something similar to cover their asses, not a chance of you winning, imagine aren't idiots I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 akajackson

so whats the best solution? just to cancel them tomorrow?
    I got wimax on tuesday or wednesday and I read u have up to 7 days to cancel it if u are not satisfied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

You should have a certain amount of time to back out without paying I imagine. If you dont like it not much point committing to it for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 akajackson

I'll ring them tomorrow and cancel it, i was a imagine customer before i took the wimax bundle, so ill try get my old package back and then try search for an alternative broadband/phone supplier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

more than likely you'll get 7mb at a mad hour like 5am in the morning when ur not using it, so they will have provided 7mb at some stage during the day, that including the 'up to' is their way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 westhfra

2 additional terms that Wimax love to catch people out with.

"Unlimited" - This is actually limited
    and "fair usage policy" - which they decide what is fair and what is not.

Be careful of these 2 terms, it will catch you out eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Read my thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056167067

I kicked up a massive stink with them. if you are within the 7 days you won't get a cancellation fee but where they got me was they tried to get me to pay a €100 cancellation fee for the contract I had with them before I changed to wimax. Imagine cancelled that contract, when i told them i wanted to get rid of wimax and go back to my old provider they wanted me to sign a new 12 mth contract. In the end I got so fed up with them i immediatly moved to UPC who have been brilliant so far much faster than what I had with imagine.

I lodged a complaint with comreg. Called imagine and asked for a complaint number. When they new comreg was involved they started to pay attention to my complaint. I will never go near imagine again. I was a customer of theirs practically since they started up and when it came down to it they treated me really badly in the end.

Good luck!! After my experience you'll need it. Sorry :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

What did you decide to do in the end??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Maybe if you used the correct units.
    mbps are for bandwidth, mb are for capacity.

mBps and mB are 8 times smaller as the B refers to bytes not bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

westhfra wrote: »
    2 additional terms that Wimax love to catch people out with.

"Unlimited" - This is actually limited
    and "fair usage policy" - which they decide what is fair and what is not.

Be careful of these 2 terms, it will catch you out eventually.
    UPC does the exact same thing... fortunately their speed is closer to the advertised speed than WiMax (which is a total sham with annoying ads)... but the FUP drives me mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭alanfa

I had the same problem it went on for about 6 months , it nearly drove me insane I contacted Comreg and it was sorted in days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

akajackson wrote: »
    what are the chances of winning the telecommunication company imagine in court?
    I'm wondering because I recently received Wimax from them and i'm paying for 7mb internet and all I have been getting was 1 or 2mb, I have been emailing them every day since I got it, and they always seem to have fixed the problem and sometimes i do get 7mb connection but only for an hour after they have messed around with something and then back down to 1 to 2 mb internet connection,

And if I cancel it I have to pay 100 euro fee, So their is no point canceling I personally think I am better of bringing them to court what do you all think?

What does your contract say about "contention ratio". Be VERY specific. If the contract doesn't mention contention ratio, does it mention anything about speed other than "up to 7Mb". Does it mention a minimum or average speed?

Ring them. Ask them the same questions. Ring them every day you get a bed service. keep a record of any and all contact in relation to this matter.

Do this for a week or two, as you say its a regular occurrence.

If no permanent resolution after a week from today, report back here detailing your communication and any non resolution. At that time, you may be advised to....

1. Write a formal letter of complaint. Do not do this by email. Put pen to paper or type it out. In this letter, mention the words "Formal Letter of Complaint". In this letter, detail the product you have and the issues you have had since the start. Detail [or summarise] all correspondence you're had with the company. Tell them that they have 10 business days [two weeks to you and me] to permanently resolve the issue or they must terminate the contract due to an apparent inability to service their own product, regardless of their many attempts. Detail that you are not liable for the termination of contract. Tell them that if they fail to comply, you will be gaining the assistance of ComReg and the Small Claims Court. SCC is about €15 and can be easily claimed online. It probably won't get this far but if it does, you should proceed.

2. Send this Formal Letter of Complaint by REGISTERED POST to Imagine head office. I'm sure you can find the address. Sending it by registered post will make them sit up and notice as you have a record, from An Post, of them receiving it.

3. Wait 10 business days [2 weeks]

4. If favourable response, you should not be in contract anymore. If not favourable, contact ComReg and consider SCC, depending on what ComReg say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    not a chance of you winning
    Not correct
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Imagine aren't idiots I assume.
    Never assume that. There is also a difference between idiots and stupidity, and attempting to get away with unfair practices and "bullying" customers with incorrect "laws".

Advertisement