Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stag Weekend in Ireland - Advice, Opinions, Anything?

• 14-07-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

Gentlemen, some help would wholeheartedly appreciated.

I need to organise a stags for 15-20 bodies. I've looked at the UK trying to incorporate something of an interesting soccer match but it's just proving too expensive and not all that interesting - the wedding is in Spain on the 1st of Oct so costs will be a significant factor for all involved.

Now I've "narrowed" my search to pretty much the whole west coast of Ireland. Westport was mentioned but some of the group venture to Westport quite a lot - at least we did until I moved away. Also, Lahinch came to mind but again, some of us would have been there several times and it may be a bit small.

We checked out the Inchidoney Surf Lodge and tbh this would be perfect except that it's booked up for every weekend up until the wedding.

I'm now thinking perhaps the likes of Bundoran or Sligo but there are questions about the size of the towns/nightlife etc. Basically I'm struggling for ideas.

From the destinations mentioned, it's fairly clear that i'm looking for an "outdoorsy" couple of days with the distinct option of a decent session at night - i'm sure it's your basic stags cliché.

So gentlemen of the club, can anybody share experiences, ideas, advise for where in Ireland one could achieve such a endeavour?

I know this isn't a travel club but i'm looking for experiences and opinions; all of which will be welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Where are you travelling from? Belfast is always good fun, maybe not the west of Ireland but I find it cheap enough to go away for the weekend.

If I was to pick anywhere for a stags I'd probably pick Bundoran out of everywhere that you've mentioned. Should be able to golf and surf in Bundoran no problem. They hold the a festival they're in late June so I'm sure it's well used to big groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sorry, most of them will be travelling from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

How about Belfast?!? Meant to be great craic at the moment if running amok is on your list of things to do! :D:D:D

How about Belfast?!? Meant to be great craic at the moment if running amok is on your list of things to do! :D:D:D

i lived up there for a while, wouldn't be good for such a large group - although there could definitely be some outdoor activities the way things currently are!

You can rent apartments around Salthill in Galway fairly cheap.

Not too far from the city and has good nightlife.

You can book a group for the Pure Skill sports place, €20 a head and it's good craic.

• Advertisement

You can rent apartments around Salthill in Galway fairly cheap.

Not too far from the city and has good nightlife.

You can book a group for the Pure Skill sports place, €20 a head and it's good craic.

i'm a bit meh about Galway as i've been there umpteen times. . .but I'm not sure if the lads have. I'll keep it in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

Limerick? Cork? city's with nightlife and stuff to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭In The Sticks

theteal wrote: »
    Gentlemen, some help would wholeheartedly appreciated.

I need to organise a stags for 15-20 bodies. I've looked at the UK trying to incorporate something of an interesting soccer match but it's just proving too expensive and not all that interesting - the wedding is in Spain on the 1st of Oct so costs will be a significant factor for all involved.

Now I've "narrowed" my search to pretty much the whole west coast of Ireland. Westport was mentioned but some of the group venture to Westport quite a lot - at least we did until I moved away. Also, Lahinch came to mind but again, some of us would have been there several times and it may be a bit small.

We checked out the Inchidoney Surf Lodge and tbh this would be perfect except that it's booked up for every weekend up until the wedding.

I'm now thinking perhaps the likes of Bundoran or Sligo but there are questions about the size of the towns/nightlife etc. Basically I'm struggling for ideas.

From the destinations mentioned, it's fairly clear that i'm looking for an "outdoorsy" couple of days with the distinct option of a decent session at night - i'm sure it's your basic stags cliché.

So gentlemen of the club, can anybody share experiences, ideas, advise for where in Ireland one could achieve such a endeavour?

I know this isn't a travel club but i'm looking for experiences and opinions; all of which will be welcome and appreciated.

Hi ya.
    Whatever you do or wherever you go my friend is your own business but please stay out of Bundoran, It is the biggest kip this side of the shannon, no night life worth talking about, way too expencive...would go as far as saying rip-off. Sligo is a far better town, night life... plenty of it. Outdoor loads, surfing in Strandhill, horsing riding in Markree Stables, Paintballing in Temple house etc..., honestly you don't want to go to Bundoran.... best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try the pure magic hotel in Achill.

ted1 wrote: »
    Try the pure magic hotel in Achill.

interesting. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Try Carlingford. Few brilliant pubs, the adventure centre, Gahn House for post eats, PJ's for pub grub.
    http://www.carlingfordadventure.com/pages/index.asp?title=Carlingford_Adventure_Centre_-_Stag&CatID=172

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Try Carlingford. Few brilliant pubs, the adventure centre, Gahn House for post eats, PJ's for pub grub.
    http://www.carlingfordadventure.com/pages/index.asp?title=Carlingford_Adventure_Centre_-_Stag&CatID=172

will have a gander

thanks lads, this thread is bearing fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Marble City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Best stag i ever had in Ireland was on the shannon. Up to carrick on shannon, hire the a couple of cruisers and hit all the wee pubs on your travels. Stop in for afternoon pints and take off up the river to your next venue. Had a messy night out in carrick on shannon on the saturday, but the river drinking was the highlight. Much better than the standard weekend stag do for us. Boats had fridges, showers, cookers and stereos.

theteal wrote: »
    will have a gander

thanks lads, this thread is bearing fruit

Carlingford is stag city on a saturday night. Can be chaos, good craic but there is only 1 nightclub which gets a bit over subscribed on a saturday. Friday night i found it very quiet. Adventure centre is good tho, we all went kayaking for the day. You need the weather tho...

I am pie wrote: »
    Best stag i ever had in Ireland was on the shannon. Up to carrick on shannon, hire the a couple of cruisers and hit all the wee pubs on your travels. Stop in for afternoon pints and take off up the river to your next venue. Had a messy night out in carrick on shannon on the saturday, but the river drinking was the highlight. Much better than the standard weekend stag do for us. Boats had fridges, showers, cookers and stereos.

drove through Carrick quite a number of times, always looked interesting. I think i'll need to send a text around asking who can't swim/float; just to be safe

mikemac wrote: »
    The Marble City!

it's a bit stag central, no? what's to do during the day, if you don't mind me asking?

i've been once, all we did was drink (and put out a house fire weirdly enough - not our house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Carrick on shannon is a good stag/hen town, have been there before. Did hovercrafting and buggy racing nearby.

Don't go to Limerick. As for Cork, bouncers are so far up their own hole you'll have an awful time getting in anywhere. Galway is great place for a stag in fairness, no hassles getting in places, great atmosphere. Pureskill out in salthill is good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ok, head to Carrick on Shannon, it's a good spot and you can head out the first night

I love this boat idea
    There are a few companies, google Emerald Star and they are one of these.

Fill the boat with a trip to Lidl and away ye go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Ok, head to Carrick on Shannon, it's a good spot and you can head out the first night

I love this boat idea

Did that years ago. Went with Emerald Star and picked the boat up in Portumna I think. Took a few days to get up to Carrick-on-Shannon, but I absolutely loved it there. Lots of lovely restaurants and bars. And the boat was fab. I think next time I'd like to go on a barge and go with a bigger group :)

Have fun with whatever you choose, OP :)

• Advertisement

Carrick on Shannon is now an official contender!

Yeah Carrick on Shannon gets my vote, a great little spot with loads to do as well on the Shannon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Go to Cliffden, great fishing, golf and plenty to drink at night

21/25

I love this boat idea

+ 1 for emerald star, we went with them. No hassles, quick briefing on how to use the boat then off.

Should mention at this stage that you should pay attention to the maps. We didn't and ended up stranded on shallow ground for the night ! Look out for shallow rocky ground highlighted on the maps they give ya !!

I am pie wrote: »
    + 1 for emerald star, we went with them. No hassles, quick briefing on how to use the boat then off.

Should mention at this stage that you should pay attention to the maps. We didn't and ended up stranded on shallow ground for the night ! Look out for shallow rocky ground highlighted on the maps they give ya !!

Yeah, we had a 15-min lesson on how to work the boat. And be sure you read up on Locks. We got to one and I was like 'Ahhhh, what the hell is that?' :o:p

They sent out little information packs but I didn't think I needed to read it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Carrick on Shannon is a great wee spot for a good stag.:) It's small, the natives are friendly, here are some very good eateries (Anchorman and Lemongrass come to mind) and you can hire a boat from one of the various boat hire companies.

Word of warning - Hire boat firms are getting wary of renting out their cruisers to groups of young men. Someone with prior boating experience is a bonus and it's best not to get too wasted on the cruise as you need to pay attention to the markers to keep on the navigation course. Running aground is no fun!

The best thing is to use the boat to hop from village to village, sampling the local pubs along the way.

Gentlefolk, as things currently stand we're aiming for a wee boat trip along by Carrick and whatever else ensues. . .

I am forever in all of your debt - if ever stuck in london, pm me for a leaba

if it all falls through, i shall be back abegging :D

Oh, and I totally second the Lemongrass at Carrick. Absolutely delicious it was :D

I'm jealous!!!! :D

Oh, and I totally second the Lemongrass at Carrick. Absolutely delicious it was :D

I'm jealous!!!! :D

I go out on the Shannon a few times a year, there's a nice restaurant there a few miles upstream called Bruno's, (I don't know what direction though cos get someone else to do the driving lol!, you can tie up the boat and go in for a bite and get locked, then back onto the lake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

If you're thinking of Carrick, Mrs Redpsot was at a cracking hen in http://www.carrickplazasuites.ie/

They do a very good value deal which includes food, a boat trip, nightclub entry, a drink and accomodation. But most importantly they welcome stag parties.

She was also at a brilliant hen in Carlingford, in an amazing house which slept 20 odd people and had it's own bar, can't find in on the web though. It's called Tranquility House. It was built using bits from an old church, high ceilings the lot.

I go out on the Shannon a few times a year, there's a nice restaurant there a few miles upstream called Bruno's, (I don't know what direction though cos get someone else to do the driving lol!, you can tie up the boat and go in for a bite and get locked, then back onto the lake!

Oh, I think we went there, docked the boat a few hundred yards from it. It was really lovely and right on the water and quite secluded... if we are thinking of the same place and we probably are. Gawd, forgot about that place. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

If Carrick doesn't work out for you, I second Carlingford. It's a really nice little spot. The adventure centre offers a lot of different options. In fairness we shouldn't have gone kayaking in October but it was great craic anyway.

The Friday night was perfect for getting settled in. Just a few drinks in a couple of nice local pubs. Then the Saturday was great buzz altogether. We didn't see any other stags or hens for the night but the place was hopping.

Very handy to get to from Dublin too with it being just a few minutes off the motorway.

The Carrick idea does sound cool though.

Folks, again thanks for all the feedback; appreciated to the highest end.

So we're gonna aim for Carrick. The only problem might be the stupid amount of people we have to accommodate. We may have to get 2 boats so we'll see how that pans out

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Hi Looking at organising a stag for about 15 in April.

Looking to Hire boats/barges somewhere round carrick on shannon area.

Plan would be to arrive Friday evening, night out somewhere. Then spend saturday doing a bit of a cruise/pub crawl with a few stops along the way.

Could anyone suggest a route/Place too hire/Stop off/place to moor for the night

Also how far could you travel in a day and do you need to bring boats back to their original location or are there drop off points

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisement