Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nightwish - The Definitive Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Yeah, I've been listening to it since it came out. It's the album that I was hoping they'd release - back to the metal roots, even the solos are back, some awesome grooves and godly epicness throughout the songs. The title track is turning out to be my favorite I think.

I saw them live in NY last week and I was almost moved to tears. I know that sounds pathetic but what can I say. It was almost laughably mindblowing - and that could have had something to do with me being high off my tits, but still.

They also brought back Stargazers into the set which was the icing on the cake. And The Greatest Show On Earth live is something that has to be seen to be believed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I listened to the album for the first time yesterday and I have to say I thought it was great, will probably take a few more listens to get into. Shudder Before the Beautiful, Edema Rua, My Walden and Alpenglow are probably my favourite tracks on it.

That and I have my Wembley Arena ticket booked for December! Judging by this interview, it'll be a show to remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That and I have my Wembley Arena ticket booked for December!

Thanks for the reminder there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Never been a huge fan of Nightwish but last night i was talking to a friend, reminiscing about our days hanging out at The Tivoli in Buckley, used to have live rock bands every Thursday, and some big names too.

One band who played every 3months or so, and ALWAYS sold the place out were You Slosh, an amazing rock/celtic sorta band, wondered whatever became of them. The founder and main man was none other that Troy Donockley, now fiddler wit Nightwish

This is from the live album recorded at The Tiv, although they must have dubbed the crowd out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

scudzilla wrote: »

The founder and main man was none other that Troy Donockley, now fiddler wit Nightwish

Played the guitar with Slosh I believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Only Digesting the new album recently. I think it's great favourites on it are Edema Ruh, Shudder,Yours is an Empty Hope and Alpenglow although all of it's fairly solid still not keen on Élan but more so than I was when I first heard it and the instrumental I find a tad forgetable.

I can see why Tuomas said Edema Ruh was orginally planned to be the first single would've been a better choice too I reckon. The Greatest show on earth was built up in most of the reviews as being the most ambitious piece by the group but in my description although 24 mins in length really its the 11 mins in its core that it truly excels, I still wouldn't say it's as good as their other longest works The Poet & The Pendulum or The Beauty Of The Beast but that's hardly an easy feat.

I also think the final song Floor really thrives and shows what she can do thats maybe not evident in some of the other tracks here some people would leave you believe Annette would be incapable of managing these songs which is of course completely untrue. Great first outing from her all the same roll on the upcoming shows!! wonder if Jukka will be back later in the year.

Well last night was just so unbelievably good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Wembley was simply a fantastic, phenomenal experience and was definitely the best out of the three times I've seen them live. The pyrotechnics and background videos to the songs really pushed it over the top in terms of what a polished performance can be. What I enjoyed just as much as the music were some of the looks on people's faces who were enjoying the music and performance so much to the point of breaking out into tears. One girl near me was a wreck as soon as While Your Lips Are Still Red began.

I was so happy to get to experience the greatest of their epics (Ghost Love Score, The Poet and the Pendulum and The Greatest Show on Earth) in one show! I probably would have omitted one or two tracks from the new album to play a couple more songs from Once or Oceanborn (Stargazers was a great addition) but I suppose you can't have it all! Richard Dawkins coming out on stage and reading the outro to the album was a nice finishing touch to the tour as well, even if he had to read his cheat sheet toward the end of it to remember what he had to say!

Arch Enemy were fantastic too, was really looking forward to seeing them after they were here with Kreator this time last year and they didn't disappoint at all. I know most of the crowd were there for Nightwish and they weren't everyone's cup of tea but Alissa absolutely kills it live, she's a fantastic vocalist and great frontwoman.

Missed bout 10 mins of Amorphis due to queuing outside do nothing for me anyway Arch Enemy on the otherhand top drawer enjoyable set.

It was also my third time seeing Nightwish and also without doubt the best; As you say the atmosphere in the crowd each person as overexcited and ecstatic as the next seemingly add that to a flawless performance a truly special show. Sound was so so for Amporhis, heavily improved for AE and perfect for Nightwish.

"Poet and the Pendulum" was unexpected for me absolutely incredible; "Ghost Love Score" goes without saying and since my post in this thread yep "Greatest Show..." since sits nicely beside their best works, "7 days to the Wolves" also one of those songs that just truly thrives in a live setting. Big fan of newest album but if I had to choose I'd have dropped "My Walden" in favour of an older track. Also I know earlier on in this tour they were doing "The Islander" that would've been great.

Overheard a girl turn to presumably her bf after the band had taken their bows with Dawkins and say "What the hell?? No encore!!" ya could only laugh. £25 for all that certainly one of the best in terms of value compared to what you see some shows going for.

The show was recorded with a view to a future release I imagine and I hope so will defo wanna relive it. Will almost surely catch them next year too most likely at a festival.

• Advertisement

Set for DVD/BLURAY release on the 9th of December "Vehicle of Spirit" features 2 shows with varying setlists London & Tampere. They released this from the Wembley show...superb looking forward to reliving the rest...

Advertisement