Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy in Brown Thomas?

Options
  • 26-07-2015 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I was just given a €40 voucher to spend in Brown Thomas and I'm so excited! I'm a die-hard Rimmel/Essence/whatever's on offer in Boots kinda girl so I don't really know where to start!

I've a good few weddings coming up in the next while so I'm thinking I'll invest in a really good foundation and powder (presumably this will bring me over €40 but that's ok!). I was also thinking it would be fun to get my make-up done at one of the counters that let you redeem the price of the makeover against the products.

What high-end products would you be buying if you were me? Also, would it be a bad idea to get my makeup done on the morning of one of the weddings? It's in town anyway so I could just go early and then head to the church, but would that be a bit of a risk in case the make-up isn't to my liking?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I think that's a great idea, it's a great way to try a product before you buy it & you'll get your makeup done for a wedding too!
    My own picks for foundation & powder from BTs would be Nars Sheer Glow & Nars Crystal light reflecting setting powder. It depends on your skin type & your own taste though. BTs have lots of great brands to choose from. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Definitely go down the redeemable route, great way to try the products and see what you like! I'd second the above and go for the Nars Sheer Glow foundation, although that alone is around the €40 mark I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Gah, think there's a make-up artist coming to the house so that's not going to be a runner now! Will have to think of another occasion to go in and get all dolled up now instead :p

Is the Nars in any way long-lasting? If I'm going to invest in some proper make-up I'd really like it to be something that I won't have to be touching up every five minutes so I'd definitely go for it if so as it sounds lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I find that it lasts well on my skin, but it would depend on your skin type (mine is dry).
    Why not get some samples and try some out to see how long lasting they are on your skin? It's a good idea to have a couple of empty sample pots on you just on case the counters don't have samples to give.

Ooh, is it possible to get samples? That's a great idea, it had crossed my mind but thought it might be a bit cheeky! Thanks a million :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Estee Lauder double wear is a very popular long lasting foundation, it gets countless recommendations around these parts.

I love the finish and lasting power but unfortunately it breaks me out.

They'll do samples if you ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Book one of the make up master classes (€60 which is redeemable). They can use all the products on the floor, so are not affiliated with one brand.

See the personal shopping section of the website.

http://www.brownthomas.com/services/brown-thomas-personal-shopping/page/brownthomaspersonalshoppi

Nicole used to work for Mac and did my wedding make up. She was fantastic

Book one of the make up master classes (€60 which is redeemable). They can use all the products on the floor, so are not affiliated with one brand.

See the personal shopping section of the website.

http://www.brownthomas.com/services/brown-thomas-personal-shopping/page/brownthomaspersonalshoppi

Nicole used to work for Mac and did my wedding make up. She was fantastic

Booked in for a make-up masterclass with Warren next week- I'm so excited!
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions! X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I never knew that service existed, please let us know how you get on, I am do going booking in for 60 mins !!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

That looks a really good idea - I might just indulge myself at some point in the not -too-distant future. I do need to update (read 'learn') my make up application and look!

• Advertisement

Will let you all know how I get on...and how long I will have to live on bread and beans for :p

Went in at the weekend, met the lovely Warren, he was a pure pet.

He asked what kind of look I was going for and I told him I had a few weddings coming up and was looking for some tips, basically.

I actually had an event that night, and so was a little disappointed that he went on to give me a very natural, very nice, but not very exciting look :(Probably my fault for not saying it to him, but he seemed to kindof have an idea of what he was going to do, so didn't really ask for much input.

Overall, it was certainly a nice look, and I picked up a few tips for myself, but I'm a bit disappointed (in myself as much as anything!) that it wasn't really anything that wowed. He did say that he would give me something that I could re-create myself, so that was certainly true!

I don't know, mixed feelings overall. But the good news: :D

I bought YSL Fusion foundation AND a Nars bronzer...and they're sooo pretty :p

Tl;dr Make-up artist was lovely, just make sure you tell them exactly what you want and don't be timid like me, you're paying enough!

Advertisement