Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Shut Off Valve

• 16-06-2011 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I had a small leak in the house so just tightend up the bolt and was sorted.
    But this made me think that i didnt know were the water shut off valve was.

I have found 3 on is under the stairs and seems to turn off the water for the kitchen sink and the washing machine.

There are 2 more one in the bathroom and the other is in the hot press near the copper boiler cylinder. Now the trouble is these 2 shut off valves are broke. The round tap handle on them is gone and ive tried grips but just carnt turn the damm thing. Anyone any idea what they could be for. Im going to get 2 shut off valves and replace them myself. But how the hell will i be able to stop the water coming down from the water tank in the attic why i do this ? Is there a way im missing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am guessing the one near your copper cylinder is the flow adjustment for the heating. The plumber prob removed this to stop you unbalancing the heating by mistake.

Pictures might help/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

No there are 2 that are for the copper cylinder.
    This one is a stand alone tap thats brass but the round tap thing as gone and i put one on top but it wont move. Also have tried grips no good. I followed the pipe up to the attic goes into the water tank so does the other broken tap in the bathroom.
    I put some photos up tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I'd say the one in the bathroom does the cold water in the bathroom the one in the hotpress is the cold feed to the cylinder which turned off all your hot water , if you want to replace these valves you would need to drain the cold water storage tank in the attic , if you close the valve under the stairs it would stop the tank filling as this sounds like the mains stopcock , a lot of old houses have the valves in these locations .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Carnt find the camera so carnt put up any photos.
    But sullzz is right the one in the hotpress is indeed for the cold water going into the cylinder goes in to the bottom ot the cylindr.
    And the tap in bathroom is indeed for the water for the bathroom cold water.
    the tap for the cylinder is also broke so have to replace both.
    So it just a case turn off water under the stairs and drain the water tank then i should be able to change the taps with no water coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mull13

Hi guys my water valve for turning off the water in the house is leaking is about 40 yrs old was going to replace it but I can't turn off the mains out side of the house is there any way to do this or any way of sorting out the leak in the valve

• Advertisement
Advertisement