Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enviromax boiler not firing

Options
  • 05-10-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a Firebird Enviromax condensing boiler that wont seem to fire up this morning. There's plenty of oil and there's power in the shed, but it wont fire up. The reset button on the front doesnt seem to be coming on either.

Any ideas what the problem might be before I make a Sunday call out to the poor plumber?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

You could try screwing off the black cap on the boiler thermostat and you will see a white pin sticking out.Press this and see if it works.Also is the circulating pump working?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

agusta wrote: »
    You could try screwing off the black cap on the boiler thermostat and you will see a white pin sticking out.Press this and see if it works.Also is the circulating pump working?

Circulating pump seems to be working and there's oil in the tiger loop also so it seems to be just the boiler itself. Was working fine yesterday

agusta wrote: »

Nope no joy with the white pin either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Nope no joy with the white pin either

Pull out the photo cell and clean the front of it. It's 1.5" to the right of the red reset button on the burner. It's the most common fault. Been dirty. Then press reset button.

Even if that works boiler will need a service.
    If it doesn't work, boiler defenatly needs a service !

That's about all the DIY advice we can give you.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Pull out the photo cell and clean the front of it. It's 1.5" to the right of the red reset button on the burner. It's the most common fault. Been dirty. Then press reset button.

Even if that works boiler will need a service.
    If it doesn't work, boiler defenatly needs a service !

That's about all the DIY advice we can give you.

Thanks folks. Already cleaned the photo cell and the reset button isnt lighting up at all which is weird. It was serviced about 6 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You said there is power in the shed. I presume that the boiler power supply is a cable with a plug on it, have you checked the fuse in the plug?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    You said there is power in the shed. I presume that the boiler power supply is a cable with a plug on it, have you checked the fuse in the plug?

Yep there's power to that. Its not a plug, but a switch. And when you power it on you can hear the circulating pump kicking in, so there seems to be power. Just weird that the reset button isnt lighting up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

do you have power to the control box?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    do you have power to the control box?

There's power going to the main fuse box and the circulating pump is coming on. I've no way of checking to see if there's power going into the boiler itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There could be a loose wire in the stat box

• Advertisement

Turn up the stat to highest if nothing happens, give it a whack of a screwdriver handle, if still no joy, get someone to have a look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Do the pipes off the top of boiler feel hot ?

Are all the plugs shoved together fully ?

Any slight buzzing sound from the burner if you press the red button?

Have you checked the room thermostat is turned up.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Do the pipes off the top of boiler feel hot ?

Are all the plugs shoved together fully ?

Any slight buzzing sound from the burner if you press the red button?

No heat from the pipes and everything seems fine on it. Nobody wouldve touched it as its in the garage.

No sound at all coming from the boiler after pressing the reset button.

If the room stat was the problem the pump wouldn't be going

Yep everything is turned up. Trying to get it to work with both rooms and water calling it. Nothing out of it at all

Yep everything is turned up. Trying to get it to work with both rooms and water calling it. Nothing out of it at all

Faulty stat or control box I'd say

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If the room stat was the problem the pump wouldn't be going

Depends on how it has been wired.
    I have seen them done both ways.

Depends on how it has been wired.
    I have seen them done both ways.

Really? Is that not totally against MI ?

I think they are wired with pump over run, but in that case it should stop after boiler cools a bit

• Advertisement

Just tried it there again and there nothing coming from it. Ive an electrician coming at 6am - good mate. And a plumber calling later in the day to take a look. How I wish Id put in an electric shower!

Advertisement