Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheaper option: Calor lpg or fireplace with back burner?

• 03-10-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭

I moved into a new house and it has a calor LPG tank heating system, and also a fireplace back burner which will heat water + rads.

My plan is to switch to mains gas next summer. In the meantime I need to heat the place this winter but am reluctant to tie myself into a 2 year contract with calor. If I can get away with just using the fireplace this winter, I'd prefer that.

My question is, would it cost much more to heat the place using the open fire +back burner then it would to use the lpg gas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I moved into a new house and it has a calor LPG tank heating system, and also a fireplace back burner which will heat water + rads.

My plan is to switch to mains gas next summer. In the meantime I need to heat the place this winter but am reluctant to tie myself into a 2 year contract with calor. If I can get away with just using the fireplace this winter, I'd prefer that.

My question is, would it cost much more to heat the place using the open fire +back burner then it would to use the lpg gas?

5 months of solid fuel for the fire would be cheaper than 2 years LPG and depending how old it is it could be an old inefficient boiler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

JohnnieK wrote: »
    5 months of solid fuel for the fire would be cheaper than 2 years LPG and depending how old it is it could be an old inefficient boiler.

Also gas boiler could be hooked up to large gas bottles instead of gas tank.
    As a backup, no 2year contract. Slightly more expensive but it's an option.
    Use the gas for inestial heat up, then let the back boiler keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

scudo2 wrote: »
    Also gas boiler could be hooked up to large gas bottles instead of gas tank.
    As a backup, no 2year contract. Slightly more expensive but it's an option.
    Use the gas for inestial heat up, then let the back boiler keep it going.

Never even thought of that but great suggestion! Would it take much doing to hook a small bottle up? Would I need to get a gas installer to do that for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Never even thought of that but great suggestion! Would it take much doing to hook a small bottle up? Would I need to get a gas installer to do that for me?

You would need to get an RGI with LPG experience to do it.

Advertisement