Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing an Immersion Timer

Options
  • 04-10-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Bought an APT IMM24EC timer to install after my immersion switch. Was about to start but noticed the immersion cable is 4 core (brown, blue, black and earth) but the diagrams only show wiring for 3 core cables (live neutral and earth). Any ideas...?

Rats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It's a four core cable because the sink and bath heating elements are switched separately. You can install the timer before the sink/bath switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

ratsam wrote: »
    Any ideas...?

Return it to shop and buy a different make, them apt timers are very unreliable. When its switching a load of an immersion it will most definitely calf before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Pete67 wrote: »
    It's a four core cable because the sink and bath heating elements are switched separately. You can install the timer before the sink/bath switch.

Where the switch is installed I've no space to do that! Also the wiring diagram says to install it after the switch... So between the existing switch and immersion. Can I somehow ignore one of the cables? Probably one associated with the sink/bath switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

ratsam wrote: »
    Where the switch is installed I've no space to do that! Also the wiring diagram says to install it after the switch... So between the existing switch and immersion. Can I somehow ignore one of the cables? Probably one associated with the sink/bath switch?

You can't switch a dual immersion with that switch.As far as I know there isn't a timer that can switch a dual immersion directly.When it states fit after the existing switch it is meant fit a single element willis heater.The only way to fit it is to fit a back box before the switch divert the live supply to the timer and fit there Also as sir Arthur says get rid of that timer get a hortsmann e15 timer far better quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Timer goes on the L N E supply to the immersion switch, not after.

Legaly should only be fitted by a regestered electrican I might add.

• Advertisement

This such job can be completed by any competant person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

you have to install the timeswitch before the sink / bath switch. the timeswitch needs a permanent supply, otherwise the clock would stop whenever you switch off the immersion.
    And I have an APT immersion timeswitch installed here for 12 years and it is still working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Installing it before the switch makes loads of sense I agree but the diagrams show it after....? Odd. Regardless I'm going to leave it to an electrician friend to sort out. Thanks for the input!

Have seen where the timer is fitted with a permenant supply looped off immersion switch and the neutral of the immersion is switched through the timer.

U sure ?
    I've no problem with doing it but when I rang RECI their answer was that we can replace but not alter existing immersion supplys/showers/heavy loads as a plumber.
    A lot of conflicting information out there !

Luckly it's not in my line of paying work nowadays.

ps. I'm not douting you, it's simple work for a good person IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

timer should have first call on da feed so goes before the switch, and switch set to sink. Don't think anyone would need to put a bath on a time setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Agreed but sadly op obviously doesn't fall under competent. He should definitely call in a professional

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Agreed but sadly op obviously doesn't fall under competent. He should definitely call in a professional

To OP.
    Competent legaly means a lower qualification in electrics ie. a plumber or similar, who holds an electrical qualification in his trade. (as an example) not a fully qualified electrican.

Not douting your ability and no offence intended to anybody else.

Been competent is a totaly different interpitation of the competency rules I'm afraid.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Thats very harsh on the op :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thats very harsh on the op :eek:

Not trying to be mean but anyone who doesn't know where to put a timer, before or after immersion switch is not a competent person described in the new rules.

Not trying to put down op. Thinking safety here.

Advertisement