Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep Guardiola to leave Barcelona

• 26-04-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

On Sky Sports News now. He wants a year long break from football.

Thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Understandable. It seems like he can't seem to shut off from the job so here's hoping he gets a decent break and time with his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Really like him. Comes across well and not really bad word to say about him.

He be back in big job before long no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If he is to leave, I wonder who will take over from him.

Luis Enrique or Wenger maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Guardiola back at Barca in a years time or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Seems like a nice guy, the year away is probably best. I would imagine he would have his pick of jobs if/when he returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Apparently Barca offered him a blank cheque to stay .

Pres conference tomorrow I think

• Advertisement

Bielsa being touted. Makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Done an incredible job. Hope to see him back in football soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Interesting scenario though. Who would take the job, knowing Pep could well be back in a year. How much flexibility would the new man even have to establish his own system, for the same reason. Further, if they do hire and they new coach performs well, would they nonetheless take Pep back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Best of luck to him, I wonder if abromovich (?) will be signing a one year contract with matteo and try and get Pepe when he returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Rafa for Barca :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

AVB IN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Think he will wait for Wenger to leave and take over at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Great manager and all round great human being from what I can tell.
    Wish him all the best in his decision but can't say I'm disappointed with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Think he will wait for Wenger to leave and take over at Arsenal.

Hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Even if it's only for one year it'll become the most wanted job in football in possibly forever. The chance to work with one of the greatest teams and players of all time.

Should be an interesting few months ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Before I say this, I don't mean to sound like a Wind up Merchant, but I think its a bit rich to be leaving now, he has had it easy, but now their is a challenge and things at the club don't seem to be going as smoothly as they were for a long time and now he is running away? That's the way I seen it anyway. The going gets tough and he runs off.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Before I say this, I don't mean to sound like a Wind up Merchant, but I think its a bit rich to be leaving now, he has had it easy, but now their is a challenge and things at the club don't seem to be going as smoothly as they were for a long time and now he is running away? That's the way I seen it anyway. The going gets tough and he runs off.

He's won everything with them though, hardly leaving them high and dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He's said for years that he'd consider his position/taking a break after 3 years though, didn't he? This was very much on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There was talk of him leaving last year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

There was talk of him leaving every season because he would only sign a 1 year contract at a time. He would never give Barca a long term commitment one way or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

From Marcotti in 2010 but still relevant:

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/guardiola-not-a-happy-camper-2023186.html
    Unless you've been there, you won't understand. Heck, even if you have been there and if you're the kind of inveterate football animal whose existence is defined by what happens inside the chalky lines, you probably still won't get it. But if you're an intelligent, sensitive man like Frank Rijkaard, you'll know where Pep Guardiola is coming from. Rijkaard, his predecessor at the Nou Camp, has been there.

Odds are, Rijkaard understands why, despite being pound for pound the most successful coach in the club's history, despite the six trophies in 12 months, despite being Catalan born and bred, despite being 39 and handsome and wealthy, Guardiola might just want to walk away from it all before it is too late.

When Guardiola was appointed coach of Barcelona in the summer of 2008, he signed a two-year contract. Since then, he has turned down the opportunity to extend his deal, although he did make sure that his assistants were given pay rises, and has said that he will postpone a decision until the end of the season.

exhausted

The official reason is that he wants to wait until after the club's presidential elections this year, which will mean Joan Laporta leaving his post. The president has overseen one of the most successful spells in the club's history, but, having served his new term, must step aside by June 15. However, those around Guardiola suggest there is more to it. Put simply, the man is physically and mentally exhausted.

"(Guardiola) is a very thoughtful person and he knows what he means to the club," Laporta said last month. "He wants to carry on, but there are a number of things he wants to think about. I am optimistic, but it's not something that you should decide in the short term."

Those who have had the privilege of spending time with the Barcelona coach will know what Laporta means. Few men are as thoughtful and deliberate. And even fewer would have acted the way he has. Most coaches approach their senior officials for a new contract and hefty pay rise moments after winning silverware. He could have easily done so.

After all, he was paid less than £2m last season, even with all the bonuses he earned. Were he in England, he would not even be in the top ten. Why not sign a long extension and get a nice bump in salary?

Besides, contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on; he could still have resigned at the end of the season and negotiated a nice payout.

But that is not what Guardiola does. Money is secondary. The bigger concern is burnout. And, precisely because he is, first and foremost, a Barcelona fan, he knows the history of the club and what it can do to managers. Especially Catalan ones.

If he lasts the season, he will be Barcelona's longest-serving Catalan coach in 40 years. For a club so steeped in their regional identity, it is a remarkable statistic.

Equally remarkable is that, because of the way coaching Barcelona can be so brutal and all-consuming, only three men have spent as many as five consecutive seasons in the job. Rijkaard was one and by the time it ended, by his admission, he had become a nervous wreck who had to endure serious domestic problems and ended up moving into a hotel adjacent to the Nou Camp.

Professional athletes are conditioned to endure, to press on through pain and uncertainty, to not let down their team-mates. It's a military-style ethos drilled into them from a young age and, presumably, Guardiola is no different.

ICON

Compounding everything is his status as a Catalan and a club icon. Having built one of the greatest sides in the city's history, how can he turn his back on the club and walk away? Should he not show loyalty to Catalonia and to "Barcelonismo"? Would it not be a form of treason to leave it in someone else's hands?

Tough questions, which explain why Guardiola is in no hurry to commit. Having made history, it is time to take stock and to decide whether it is worth it. Moments after winning the Club World Cup last month, he burst into tears. Those watching on TV were probably convinced they were tears of joy. But, as it later emerged, Guardiola was turning to his assistants, asking: "What now? Where do we go from here?"

Few men are as emotionally invested in their jobs. Fewer still are introspective enough to realise what is happening to them. If he does decide to say no más, it will be a loss to football.

But perhaps it will be a gain for those who believe there is more to life.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bielsa being touted. Makes sense

Hoping it doesn't happen for Bilbao's sake, though someone of his calibre really deserves to manage a massive club like Barca.

The end of a golden era, likely never to be repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

is there odds anywhere on the next manager?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

JPA wrote: »
    The end of a golden era, likely never to be repeated.

bit dramatic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Great manager and a classy guy too. Wouldn't say no to him taking over from SAF in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The stress of being expected to win every single game you play would be unbearable, not at all surprising he needs a break from that pressure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From

josep-guardiola-2008-soccer-acf-fiorentina-vs-fc-barcelona-1-3-july-30-2008-YTUvMh.jpg

to

pep_1495757a.jpg

It's understandable..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Tox56 wrote: »
    The stress of being expected to win every single game you play would be unbearable, not at all surprising he needs a break from that pressure.

I think it makes Alex Ferguson's achievements all that more remarkable. He has been dealing with that pressure every day for over 20 years now.

Hopefully Guardiola will be back soon enough. He won't last very long enough away imo. It'll be interesting to see where he goes next. Will it be back to Barca or off to another club.

• Advertisement

NinjaK wrote: »
    bit dramatic!

Well footballistically (it's a word!), it's a dramatic moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

If I was in his shoes, having managed the Barca team and achieved what he has, I would gladly retire frommanagement and spend time with my family.

What does he still have to achieve?

He could come back to management in 3 years time if he wanted.

For me, I wish him all the best for giving us a great team of players that we can watch, marvel at, and debate about their shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

He's obviously put a lot of thought into as I'm sure he does every year with the way his contracts have gone. So I'm sure he knows its the right decision.

He's done so much for the club and won 13 trophies so its well deserved. Hope he comes back and wins trophies with another team. I'd hate to see his achievements overlooked because of the players he had at his disposal.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Here's your chance big Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Thank you Pep for your leadership and management over the past years. Classy guy who led to Barca through an unprecedented period in football. I cant see anyone emulating the amount of trophies he won over the same time-frame. He deserves a break and its well earned. Being manager of Barcelona for 4 years must be intense. He has always said he would leave Barca hence the 1 year contracts. He owes nothing to anyone at Barca. Barca owes him everything

What will he do next? Honestly cant see him move abroad and wouldnt be surprised if he never managed again. Only place is upstairs at Barca where he can help guide the club in the future.

Replacement? Would like AVB. Dont know how Enrique is getting on at Roma, well how they play anyways. One thing for sure is they will need to embrace Barca's philosphy or they wont last a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

lol, this is not confirmed. We'll see tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

He's obviously put a lot of thought into as I'm sure he does every year with the way his contracts have gone. So I'm sure he knows its the right decision.

He's done so much for the club and won 13 trophies so its well deserved. Hope he comes back and wins trophies with another team. I'd hate to see his achievements overlooked because of the players he had at his disposal.[/QUOTE]

Who in their right mind would over-look his achievements? Its not just the trophies he won, its the style in which they won. Being labelled the best team of all-time highlights the scale of the job he done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

If its true I would say most likely would be:

1.Bielsa
    2.AVB
    3.Vilanova

and maybe a shock on the cards with Wenger.Would be surprised to see Enrique get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

They need a steady pair of hands. A man with years of experience and can handle the media.

Uncle Roy ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to promote from within again with Oscar Garcia.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

He is on his way to Athlone tomorrow night for the real El Classico.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Warper wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would over-look his achievements?

I'm sure there would be people out there, personally I think he's a great manager. He has transformed Barcelona so much that a model is place for them to keep winning for years to come. I think some people would see it as the team he had rather than the managers achievements. The fact is its already been suggested that maybe he was feeling the pressure of a real challenge rather than just the toll its taken on him over the last 4 years of managing the best team in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I think Dalglish would be good for Barca

A legendary footballer who's teams play nice football and spend a lot of time in the oppositions half.. without scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's gotta be Bielsa.

Dotsey wrote: »

A legendary footballer who's teams play nice football and spend a lot of time in the oppositions half.. without scoring

I heard he got excited when Messi hit the bar from the peno spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I wonder how Barca would play with McLeish in charge :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

nuxxx wrote: »
    I wonder how Barca would play with McLeish in charge :pac:
    he has got previous experience of winning leagues with only two teams in it though...

opr wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to promote from within again with Oscar Garcia.

Opr

I think this is more likely tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

How is there a challenge now? The going hasn't gotten tough. They píssed their way through the champions league and were unlucky to be beaten by Chelsea; I think it is widely accepted that Barcelona were the better team over 2 legs but that Chelsea were more clinical. They'll probably win the Copa Del Rey and lost out on the league to Madrid which is understandable for 2 reasons:
    1) Madrid are arguably the 2nd best club team behind Barcelona and the league was always going to be a head-to-head battle between the two
    2) The players aren't as hungry as they were due to consistently winning basically everything and as a result over a season-long competition they were complacent in parts

Barca had 1 bad week and it cost them 2 competitions, no more no less. The team doesn't require dismantling or require any obvious additions even though it is likely improvements will be made to the squad. He obviously just wants time out which is understandable - siesta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Dotsey wrote: »

Dalglish - but only if he promises to bring the pony tailed one with him.

I hear Barca are looking for a striker!

• Advertisement
Advertisement