Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Bund or Not to Bund - Oil Tank

• 18-08-2010 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Any thoughts on wether a bunded tank is worth the extra 500 or so euros?

Am only installing a 1000 litre tank but wondering should I get bunded or unbunded. Kero is awful stuff when it leaks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seeing as 1000 litres of heating oil would cost a minimum of €600... and is definitely set to rise... it could be a very cheap €500 spent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I thought there was enviromental laws covering tanks these days too ? I dont know the specifics though. I recall my plumber talking about double skinned tanks too.

I dunno how usable the oil would be after it was sloshed around in a dusty, dirty auld bund syd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

They're a complete waste of money....

....until the day you may need them.
    The lost fuel is one thing, but the spilt fuel can really cause havoc, ruin any water well near by and the cleanups are expensive.

Peace of mind.. you cant put a price on that.

Man, i should work for Kingspan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

'An oil storage tank not exceeding 2500 litres capacity which serves a dwelling house does not require a bund. An oil
    storage tank which is not provided with a bund should be installed on or above a non combustible base which extends out at
    least 300 mm from all sides of the tank.'

So regulations appear to say no need. It is just 500 quid is a lot of money when coming enar the end of a build!

Perhaps i could incorporate the stand for the tank into a pit around the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Toxic, smelly stuff. Kills all vegetation in your garden if it spills, pollutes water wells etc.
    "God I love the smell of Napom in the morning":)

Bund is a good idea, just in case!

• Advertisement

imitation wrote: »

I dunno how usable the oil would be after it was sloshed around in a dusty, dirty auld bund syd :D

my point exactly... thats why the integral bund is a good idea imo.

and also consider that a rendered block bund will not be oil proof...

Dont get me wrong, if money was no object i think it is worth it.

But 500 euro extra is still a lot of money to me.

Dont get me wrong, if money was no object i think it is worth it.

But 500 euro extra is still a lot of money to me.

its basically insurance....

say the tank will last your 25 years.... thats €20 per year insurance that your tank doesnt leak.....

if thats worth it to you, fine... if not, also fine....

Fair point and i agree with you that it is worth it, if you have the money.

I have noticed on the web that a lot of places recommend changing the tank after 10 or 15 years due to sun exposure etc.

I do think however that in 10 years time i wont be able to afford the oil to put into it anyway, but that is for a different discussion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

'An oil storage tank not exceeding 2500 litres capacity which serves a dwelling house does not require a bund. An oil
    storage tank which is not provided with a bund should be installed on or above a non combustible base which extends out at
    least 300 mm from all sides of the tank.'

So regulations appear to say no need. It is just 500 quid is a lot of money when coming enar the end of a build!

Perhaps i could incorporate the stand for the tank into a pit around the tank.

Incorporating the stand is the way to go imo. It wouldn't cost much to build an enclosure to contain 1000 ltrs of oil (incl. support for the tank.) A concrete base to seal off the bottom and your in business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Incorporating the stand is the way to go imo. It wouldn't cost much to build an enclosure to contain 1000 ltrs of oil (incl. support for the tank.) A concrete base to seal off the bottom and your in business.

And then the bund fairies will call around to your house and keep your concrete bund clean and empty of rainwater. Remember, an 1100 litre bund containing 200 litres of water will overflow. A bund should be able to contain 110% of your tank volume and be kept drained of rainwater, otherwise it's useless. OP, it's a financial decision and only you can justify or dismiss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's more about not damaging the environs as opposed to saving your oil for reuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

whybunded.jpg

Generic bunded oil tank.

Lets say the inner tank springs a leak, how will you know? You will happily use the tank away unwittingly until the outer tank fails.

Most leaks from oil tanks happen at the valve or in the pipework, not with the tank.

Regulations don't specify a bund, so it's your choice....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Building regs may not specify a recommendation for a bund but other legisaltion could leave you liable for polluting ground water if your tank leaks and the oil seeps into the ground.

I usually incorporate a bund by way of a catchment area below the tank to store spilt oil in case of emergencies.

Plastic oil tanks deteriorate after time and can leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spoa

I have a plastic 1000L tank which is not bunded and I want to sit it on a concrete platform with a concrete bund all around, just to be environment friendly. I can do all that but I'm not sure how to keep water from getting into the bund. Will I have to get a canvas cover specially made to cover both the tank and the entire bund? Any suggestions for suitable covers?

Advertisement