Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External cedar wood cladding

Options
  • 28-10-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi. Just wondering has anybody any experiences of external cedar wood cladding on house. Unsure as to whether it'd be a good idea although initially it dies look great :/ Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It depends on what you'll think of it down the road: it's a purely personal thing.

New, it's got a nice red/gold hue. Down the road it will 'silver'. Actually nearly flat primer grey imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

baggote2 wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering has anybody any experiences of external cedar wood cladding on house. Unsure as to whether it'd be a good idea although initially it dies look great :/ Please help.

Some don't like cedar changing colour and want to peserve/ treat it, this never looks great.. Some want it to immediately & consistently to change grey, this rarely happens due to irish weather protection requirements. Few appreciate the effort required to detail (arch) & install (carpenter). It's a natural material that Imo looks great at whatever stage of aging it happens to be at.

If the cladding is running up under the eaves that area will change colour much slower, and at plinth level a lot quicker - your designer should be aware of this and capable of discussing the options with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭PROJECT K

its also possible to bleach the timber (weak mix - try on a small or test area first!) to help it age quicker and more uniformly (ie under eaves/overhangs as per previous post). Personally, aged cedar does look great and i wouldnt dare try and treat it - firstly its never going to look as good as day one but more importantly this is a life long maintenance committment!!! :eek:

Advertisement