Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noise levels in timber frame houses?

• 25-10-2014 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all
    We are purchasing a semi detached timberframe house and our surveyor pointed out there is no block divide between the two houses. He said this could lead to us hearing our neighbours and vice versa!
    Does anyone live in a similar house and how do you find the noise insulation? Or any other experience/ advice would be welcome
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Rare1004 wrote: »
    Hi all
    We are purchasing a semi detached timberframe house and our surveyor pointed out there is no block divide between the two houses. He said this could lead to us hearing our neighbours and vice versa!
    Does anyone live in a similar house and how do you find the noise insulation? Or any other experience/ advice would be welcome
    Thanks!

Just because it's timber framed doesn't necessarily mean that it will be noisier.

My sister in law lives in a concrete house with a solid 9" concrete party wall and is awful. She can hear every footstep, every flick of a light switch, and every step on the stairs next door.

It depends on how and the quality of the build - I've witnessed TF houses being sound tested and seen them get better results, not worse.

It's not what is made from - is the quality of how it was done.

Besides, if you like the house, and it concerns you, there are loads of remedies to mitigate it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I live in a 3 bed semi block house. I can hear everything next door.

Its something you should expect, especially if your coming from a situation of never living in a semi before.

One other issue which i I've seen done which is terrible for noise is location of premenant vents on either side of the party wall. Stupid design flaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I live in a semi-detached timberframe house and don,t hear what the neighbour is up too. I do not know iff there is a block divide between the two houses as it was built when I bought it.The sound insulation from the front and back walls is not great do even with double glazed windows I can still easily hear people walking by on the path,the neighbour closing her door every time she goes in or out,kids shouting outside,dogs barking and cars going up and down the road.But once you get used to all that its not that bad really.Maybe with some curtains at the windows the outside noise would be less notable. Your house might also have better insulated wall and mybe be better built. There is only one way to know and that is to try it out for a night or two or maybe ask a neighbour in the area.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I live in a mid terrace timber frame house. Noise is similar to my mams which is block built and block party wall construction.

I think the above is a good example of how across different types of construction some issues are universal.

Quality of build is the most common cause of issues.

Coincidentally a modern house with good airtightness levels has the additional bonus of being quiet.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rare1004

Thanks for all your replies. We live in a semi detached at the moment and can hear our neighbours and it is a block divide. So you are right it is a quality issue. I might go to the new house and conduct a sound test from next door to see insulation levels.

Thanks for all your replies. We live in a semi detached at the moment and can hear our neighbours and it is a block divide. So you are right it is a quality issue. I might go to the new house and conduct a sound test from next door to see insulation levels.

If you can access next door, great. Even if you find an issue, bear in mind you can do something about it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

Hi all
    Thanks!

there would have to be a block divider wall as it would be a fire hazzard other wise

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mossy50 wrote: »
    there would have to be a block divider wall as it would be a fire hazzard other wise

not correct

some timber frame semis + terraces have timber party walls, which, once constructed to regulation is perfectly acceptable.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    not correct

some timber frame semis + terraces have timber party walls, which, once constructed to regulation is perfectly acceptable.

Correct - I have data on a TF wall that passed at 94 minute standard.

Also, vis-à-vis noise, I have a test report to hand of timber party wall and it achieved a mean of 61.5dB across the party wall . (an acoustic expert can chime in here on the values and their meaning.....)

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement