Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Lidl Blown it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I don't often go to Lidl because I prefer Aldi but my local one is always thronged, it could just be the location but it doesn't look to me like they've blown it. People still seem v. happy to shop there.
    Are lidl and Aldi owned and run ultimately by the same company in Germany???? Or is their any current association between them???
    Are they truely competing with one another?

Lidl & Aldi aren't the same company, however there are 2 different Aldis (Aldi Nord & Aldi Sud). They don't really compete against each other though because they each operate out of different regions, I think we have Aldi Sud here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ronan45 wrote: »
    Are lidl and Aldi owned and run ultimately by the same company in Germany???? Or is their any current association between them???
    Are they truely competing with one another?

No, they are separate.

Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord are the two divisions of Aldi.

The Albrecht brothers fell out over the selling of tobacco, so the company was split up.

Ireland is part of Aldi Sud.

See www.aldi.de

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Aldi for me, better value. Don't normally eat bread so not an issue here. Only use lidl for the odd frozen pizza and the bin bags.
    Aldi 50% super valu 50%. Odd time superquinn for the sausies and brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Hit an Aldi for the first time a few weeks ago and was not totally blown away with the difference vs Lidl.

Currently sticking with Dunnes for veg and meat, better range for veggies and more or less same cost for meat (excl. rashers etc). Cleaning products, generics such as milk, coffee etc Lidl works for me.

Plus the bread. Evil fattening bastard but ohhh so poppy-crusted-bread....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I heard a few times, that there has to be a certain distance between a Lidl and an Aldi outlet in Germany, a mile between each of their shops. But I can't find a proof for that :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement