Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HERTZ car rental in UK

Options
  • 02-01-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I recently rented a car from HERTZ (Stansted) for a day trip to a match. On returning the car, the Hertz employee was able to identify a "chip" on the windowscreen within 15 seconds of examining the car !! Given that it was dark and raining I was very suspicious to say the least. They have now charged me €124-28 which is to repair the "chip" and an admin charge. They dedcuted straight from my Visa card which I think they can do because of the lease agreement I signed?

My concern is that we were given this car (a bigger car than we requested) when there was plenty of the type of cars we requested sitting in the car park. In hindsight this makes me think where we given this car on purpose? I have perfect eyesight and I had to get within 4 inches of the windowscreen to see this alleged "chip". It wasn't a crack, it was a slight mark on the screen, not even to be defined as a "chip" in my opinion.

Just wondering if anybody had similar experiences?

Thanks
    Danny
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

It happens a lot, you should have signed off on the cars condition before you left the hertz site so you probably signed that the cars condition was perfect. If you did you dont stand much of a chance to get your money back.

Also for windscreens, my own car insurance covers any car I drive so maybe claim on your insurance?

Tips, if you dont get full insurance take photos/movie clip of any car you hire as well as check it properly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ALWAYS a good idea to take loads and loads of photos of the car/van before you sign over at the beginning to prove the car is in the condition its supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dublinboy99

Thanks for the replies. Even if I had taken photos of the windowscreen, believe me it would not have showed up in a photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

any point writing to Hertz UK with a grievance?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ferg01

TheDriver wrote: »
    any point writing to Hertz UK with a grievance?

I've had several rentals with Hertz at various locations around the place. Most of the rentals have been hassle free and if I had a problem - some were solved to my satisfaction - others were not. It all depends on the management at the local station. While I sympathise with the OP, it's his responsibility to check the vehicle for damage before leaving the car park. That being said, some Hertz locations are better than others - nothing to lose by complaining (although maybe to avoid frustration, don't expect any satisfaction).

• Advertisement
Advertisement