Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scam or Bargain?

Options
  • 29-07-2008 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

I've spotted a car on carzone that looks very reasonable, 2003, (5k) others of same spec selling for approx 10k!

I thought there might be something dodgy about it, perhaps the engine was shagged or something...

Emailed the person and she emailed me back with some more details...said the car is perfect, full service history, kept in garage, low mileage etc etc..

However, she says that she lives in the US and bought the car for a relative who moved to the UK and died not long afterwards. If I want it I'd have to meet her in the UK to get it...

She claims she wants rid of it, to close matters out as she needs to go back to US. The car is registered in Ireland (I have seen the reg) so no VRT.

What do ye think? I'm still sceptical, have emailed her asking for her phone number to discuss it.

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

Sounds dodgy....got a link to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kearnsey11 wrote: »
    However, she says that she lives in the US and bought the car for a relative who moved to the UK and died not long afterwards. If I want it I'd have to meet her in the UK to get it...

its a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

draffodx wrote: »
    its a scam

t'is indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This sounds very, very much like a number of scams that are detailed in the "scams" thread. Do a search.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310412
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320098

As a rule of thumb, never buy a car or pay money for a car that you can't see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kearnsey11

Thanks for the feedback people - just read it back again, how could I not think it was a scam!

PS - didn't know there was a 'Scam thread' (useful to know)!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yep, it seems entirely reasonable first time you read it, but once you dig deeper or once you see how many times other people are contacted in the same way it becomes blindingly obvious.

Hopefully by people posting here and us giving feedback (and you can help with this too now, kearnsey), we can save some people from losing money to scam artists.

Advertisement