Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building upper body strength to improve form

Options
  • 18-04-2014 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭

I am looking to improve form and upper body strength. My job has me sitting most of the day. In the past I have tried weights and other things like that. I find it very boring and when its boring I don't do it. I wouldn't mind going to a class once or twice a week, something like TRX or similar.

I know this is not a substitution for running but as I will be running some shorter stuff for a while now I can afford to do this also.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not sure what (or if!) there's a question there, but I'd recommend rock climbing for upper body strength (incidentally, Alberto Salazar also mentioned something along those lines in a recent interview). There are indoor climbing centres in Dublin and Cork, so if you happen to live in/near one of the two cities, you have year-round access to a sport that compliments running really well, is anything but boring and is great for strengthening, without the need for weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Gardening. :) I do a small bit of upper body and core work a few times a week, but I was in bits after a weekend of fixing up the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Not sure what (or if!) there's a question there, but I'd recommend rock climbing for upper body strength (incidentally, Alberto Salazar also mentioned something along those lines in a recent interview). There are indoor climbing centres in Dublin and Cork, so if you happen to live in/near one of the two cities, you have year-round access to a sport that compliments running really well, is anything but boring and is great for strengthening, without the need for weights.

That would be great. Live near Cork. Thanks

rom wrote: »
    That would be great. Live near Cork. Thanks
    Grab a few mates and sign up for a taster session here. If you happen to be in Dublin, drop me a pm, and I'll show you the ropes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

That's a cracking idea!

• Advertisement

That's a cracking idea!
    The offers open to anyone. To whet your apetite:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Same here. Open offer for anyone who wants to weed my garden.

Grab a few mates and sign up for a taster session here. If you happen to be in Dublin, drop me a pm, and I'll show you the ropes.

Saw that there is also a place in UCC. https://www.mardykearena.com/climbingwall.cfm

Will defo give it a go. Thanks

rom wrote: »
    Saw that there is also a place in UCC. https://www.mardykearena.com/climbingwall.cfm

Will defo give it a go. Thanks
    There'll be a world of difference between the climbing centre in UCC and Awesome Walls. Do the introduction in Awesome Walls, and then later give UCC a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

There'll be a world of difference between the climbing centre in UCC and Awesome Walls. Do the introduction in Awesome Walls, and then later give UCC a try.

Agree on this. Climbing is savage get hooked inside then head out to the hills. There was a small coop wall as well in Cork.

• Advertisement

Agree on this. Climbing is savage get hooked inside then head out to the hills. There was a small coop wall as well in Cork.

Where is that? So there are 3 places in Cork?

A coop is a location where a group of like-minded climbers get together and build a series of bouldering walls, usually in a low-cost facility working on a non-profit basis. Here's a little more information on Cork's coop. It's not really suitable for beginners though. This is a type of climbing called bouldering, where you climb a series of 'problems', without ropes. The reason I'd recommend Awesome Walls for your first climb is that they have all types of climbing sports together in one location (bouldering, top-rope and lead-rope (which you wouldn't be doing until you had some experience)). So if you do the introductory session there, you'll learn how to climb top-rope, learn how to belay (manage the ropes for another climber) and also get to climb on their bouldering facilities. AW is a new dedicated facility which which have a far greater range of climbing. Not saying you should stay there, but it's be a great place to figure out if climbing is for you (after which you could go visit UCC or the coop).

Sorry wasn't an effort to confuse. Krusty_Clown is right. Check out Awesome first make sure you enjoy it. The set up in Dublin is fairly family friendly as well. A few of us take the kids down on a Saturday get some climbing in while the kids play around. Coffee and cake for the missus as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

. Coffee and cake for the missus as well!

The missus can climb to you know!

... In fact, I'd highly recommend it for all the missus' out there. Don't know myself since I started. My feeble little arms have baby guns - for the first time in my entire life! :-D
    And it's such a buzz too.

Emer911 wrote: »
    The missus can climb to you know!

... In fact, I'd highly recommend it for all the missus' out there. Don't know myself since I started. My feeble little arms have baby guns - for the first time in my entire life! :-D
    And it's such a buzz too.
    True mine even tried it until we got married then promptly gave up. Now she would much rather the coffee and cake!

Advertisement