Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to say when you friend runs 3:00:01

• 15-04-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine, ran 3:00:01 in Rotterdam at the weekend, and has being trying to run a sub 3 for several years now. Also just missed out in Dublin last year running 3:00:30. He is in the M50 category so I guess the chances of running sub 3 are dwindling ?

He has a solid training base, and was running 70-80mile weeks in the lead up to Rotterdam.
    His Half time in Bohermeen indicated that he would easily run sub 3.

Any and all advice gratefully accepted...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Take 2 weeks recovery and go again in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ger664 wrote: »
    Take 2 weeks recovery and go again in Limerick.
    If he gave it all he had to cross the finish line in 3:00:01, then there isn't a hope in hell he will be in shape to have another go in a couple of weeks time. He shouldn't even be considering any sessions for a couple of weeks.

My suggestion would be to train for 2:55 in their next marathon. It sounds (loose interpretation based on no data whatsoever!) like it has become a mental barrier, so the key lies in ramping up the intensity, rather than the mileage. Once recovered, have him focus on breaking 18 minutes for 5k and 37 minutes for 10k, while maintaining a semi long run at the weekend. If he's already faster than those times, set more aggressive targets, but increase the intensity of the long run at the weekend (include some marathon pace miles towards the end of the occasional long run).

Unless you were just looking for a way to console him?
    In that case, tap him gently on the shoulder, and say "there there.... there, there...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Tell him it was the sniper's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

2:59:61

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Run faster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Clock time or chip time? Tell him the mat was farther than the 26.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

If he gave it all he had to cross the finish line in 3:00:01, then there isn't a hope in hell he will be in shape to have another go in a couple of weeks time. He shouldn't even be considering any sessions for a couple of weeks.

My suggestion would be to train for 2:55 in their next marathon. It sounds (loose interpretation based on no data whatsoever!) like it has become a mental barrier, so the key lies in ramping up the intensity, rather than the mileage. Once recovered, have him focus on breaking 18 minutes for 5k and 37 minutes for 10k, while maintaining a semi long run at the weekend. If he's already faster than those times, set more aggressive targets, but increase the intensity of the long run at the weekend (include some marathon pace miles towards the end of the occasional long run).

Unless you were just looking for a way to console him?
    In that case, tap him gently on the shoulder, and say "there there.... there, there...".

Krusty,

Sage advice us usual...By way of brief background (and I'm not 100% on the detail here) :-

He followed a generic club plan, with lots of miles.
    6 days per week training, with following key sessions -
    1 LSR hitting 20-23 miles 5 times.
    1 track session day.
    1 hill day.
    1 MLR
    2 other days...

Craughwell 10m - 62:45
    Bohermeen Half - 84:34

Possibly the problem was fatigue with the last LSR was only 2 out with 18miles at 7:07avg ???

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Clock time or chip time? Tell him the mat was farther than the 26.2.

Garmin time 3:00:01
    Chip 3:00:04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Garmin time 3:00:01
    Chip 3:00:04
    Ugh, that actually feels like a kick in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

lose one kilo*

Tell him to enter Dublin, with a 16 week programme which starts on Monday the 7th of July.
    After he recovers in two weeks time it's time to change focus to getting his 5k time down for the 12 weeks between now and the start of the 16 week program.
    Or trying something different like hillrunning or swimming or try a few track races, take up yoga.

*"1 percent loss of body mass, primarily as body fat, there will be an approximate 1 percent increase in running speed....marathoners who are carrying excess body weight, primarily body fat but also excess upper-body muscle.....Excessive weight loss, however, may impair the health and performance"
    http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/williams.htm

• Advertisement

The total course also has a .1% error factor (added to it to ensure it’s never short). So he did run sub 3 as it would take 10.8 sec to cover the extra distance. He ran 26.2 in under 3 hours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Krusty,

Sage advice us usual...By way of brief background (and I'm not 100% on the detail here) :-

He followed a generic club plan, with lots of miles.
    6 days per week training, with following key sessions -
    1 LSR hitting 20-23 miles 5 times.
    1 track session day.
    1 hill day.
    1 MLR
    2 other days...

Craughwell 10m - 62:45

Possibly the problem was fatigue with the last LSR was only 2 out with 18miles at 7:07avg ???
    His half marathon time puts him 'there, or thereabouts' as the expression goes. The problem with aiming for sub 3, is that there is no comfort zone, no margin for error. Even the slightest variable change can put you slightly off course and mean that you miss out on your goal. A couple of degrees hotter, a head-wind towards the latter parts of the race, mild dehydration. Any of them can just push you slightly outside of 'planned marathon effort', and cost you those vital seconds. You should communicate to your buddy that he has run the equivalent of a sub-3 marathon, and he needs to move onwards and upwards to target a more aggressive goal (like 2:55). To do that, he'll need to get faster and stronger. If he has followed the same style of marathon plan for a few spins of the marathon wheel, he should consider looking at a different style of plan, just because it will stretch him and improve him in different ways. But mostly, just buy him a beer and congratulate him on running a three hour marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

When he's out with friends, saying "I ran 2.59" sounds like boasting, but putting on a rueful face and saying "I ran 3.01 I nearly killed myself training for it, ffs" will lead to plenty of slagging and a better story overall. So there's always that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Make sure to tell him not to make an attempt on sub 3 in a marathon where Ecoli is the pacer :D:D:P:P:P:P

hmmm wrote: »
    When he's out with friends, saying "I ran 2.59" sounds like boasting

Nothing wrong with boasting. Putting hard work in for a few years to achieve your goal you should boast. Well thats my plan for the week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Tell him well done that great running. No reason why he cant go sub 3 at all without changing anything in his plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

I based my answer on this comment from OP. I assumed that he ran a stinker thus would recover quickly and have the disappointment of been so close fresh in his mind to drive him on in Limerick.

On now seeing the times he ran for Craughwell and Bohermeen I would totally agree with your sentiment. He was just about knocking on the door of 3 Hours and has a really hard race in his legs. He needs to move on target a more aggressive time to give himself some wiggle room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

If it was a week ago you could have told him he was still quicker than Gavlor.
    I guess those days are over now though...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

still faster than ecoli :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

He is in the M50 category so I guess the chances of running sub 3 are dwindling ?

Why should this be the case? Your friend shouldn't think of his age as a negative factor, just look at the M50 results in Rotterdam where there were 27 sub 3 finishers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I feel gutted for him. I did a 21 mile run with him in Feb and he was full of sympathy for me missing by 18 seconds saying I was a lot closer to sub 3 than he was on his previous effort. He was in great shape for that run but I was wondering if he'd be able to stay sound at that intensity for another 2 months.

If you look at his splits he ran the 1st half in low 1:28. Obviously with hindsight now that looks a bit agressive.

I've been full of my own 3:00 story since last June and have been saying to AMK it's a good story. However this chap already had the 3:00 story and must be gutted. He's a legend though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I wonder if that's where the problem lies. If he expected the sub-3 to be easy he might not have been mentally able to switch into "hard" mode when push came to shove.

As has been pointed out, a mid-84 half certainly does not indicate that sub-3 would come easily. Quite the opposite, it's touch and go and the runner would have to run at the edge of his abilities and most things on the day would have to go right.

Sickening though, your mate has my sympathies. It's a bit like coming 101st in Ballycotton :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

If you look at his splits he ran the 1st half in low 1:28. Obviously with hindsight now that looks a bit agressive.

I've a feeling this is where the problem lies. When you're cutting it close, which he was always gonna do, then something closer to 1:29:00 - 1:29:30 sounds much better.

A consolatory beer and lots of easy runs out are what's needed right now.

christeb wrote: »
    I've a feeling this is where the problem lies. When you're cutting it close, which he was always gonna do, then something closer to 1:29:00 - 1:29:30 sounds much better.

A consolatory beer and lots of easy runs out are what's needed right now.

Think your right there. He was under on illusion that sub 3 was going to be easy.

Due to run with him tomorrow night for 3-4 easy on grass, if he is still set on DCM14, I might steer him to the "Sub 3 Support Tread"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What is the friends opinion on it? Is he utterly gutted also? To be bluntly honest I wouldn't let this phase ya at all, nobody died etc ha, its still a big achievement, lets imagine he like dipped on the line or whatever and ran his 0.05 of a sec quicker, does that suddenly make him a better person etc ha? Not in the slightest unfortunately :p. And next time when he does hopefully blow 3hrs out of the water, its usually a case of ok, next target, 2.55/50 etc! It does all make for a great story down the pub or at training etc, and at the end of the day if ya can't have the craic about it your frankly doing it wrong :p

I heard a story of someone running Belfast. Afterwards they were gutted as they thought they were well able to run sub 3. They found out that there was someone important running at the time and the route was changed so they ran longer and they would have ran sub 3 on the original route. This was before the time of watches. They never did run sub 3. Your friend has the opportunity to go and run sub 3 the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Say well done, a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Say "Just think if you had just ran a bit faster you'd be a sub-3 marathoner, but now you're just a wannabe"

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Hi OP. Not sure which one of the gang you are but it's Al here. If I'm guessing correct based on details, I'd be considered the person in questions 'training partner'?. If so, I fully agree with your post. I have not known what to say since. The finish line was awful. We have trained together for 16months now, and if you were to bet on only one of us getting sub3 in Rotterdamn, it would be not have been me I don't think.(I knew I could do it but the internet said no!).
    He was coming off 3:00:28 in Dub and I felt the course alone would give him the 30secs needed. He put in a tonne of training and defo deserved it. He tripped around 16-17miles and wobbled badly. I was a few meters back and he lost 10-15secs of pace at that moment. It must be keeping him awake ever since. I was so sorry for him and it killed my buzz at the time.
    He is a great runner and had superb form leading up to it.
    Running is just weird like that sometimes. You love it and feel amazing..then it makes a mess of you another time.
    I felt the whole gang were very tense all weekend and took it too serious(Of course you take it seriously and give it your best..but like a previous poster mentioned, nobody died).
    We didn't even meet for a 7-up that Sun night which i thought was odd seeing as 4 of 5 of us ran a PB?
    He'll crack it. And all who know him will be delighted to see it. I hope I've the right person or this was a pointless post!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Alicano wrote: »
    Hi OP. Not sure which one of the gang you are but it's Al here. If I'm guessing correct based on details, I'd be considered the person in questions 'training partner'?. If so, I fully agree with your post. I have not known what to say since. The finish line was awful. We have trained together for 16months now, and if you were to bet on only one of us getting sub3 in Rotterdamn, it would be not have been me I don't think.(I knew I could do it but the internet said no!).
    He was coming off 3:00:28 in Dub and I felt the course alone would give him the 30secs needed. He put in a tonne of training and defo deserved it. He tripped around 16-17miles and wobbled badly. I was a few meters back and he lost 10-15secs of pace at that moment. It must be keeping him awake ever since. I was so sorry for him and it killed my buzz at the time.
    He is a great runner and had superb form leading up to it.
    Running is just weird like that sometimes. You love it and feel amazing..then it makes a mess of you another time.
    I felt the whole gang were very tense all weekend and took it too serious(Of course you take it seriously and give it your best..but like a previous poster mentioned, nobody died).
    We didn't even meet for a 7-up that Sun night which i thought was odd seeing as 4 of 5 of us ran a PB?
    He'll crack it. And all who know him will be delighted to see it. I hope I've the right person or this was a pointless post!!:D

I really think this is over the top. It's not a catastrophe. He just needs to aim higher. As Sonia O'Sullivan said about Irish athletes aiming for Olympic and World standards, if they aimed a bit further than the standard then they'd nail it, rather than just aiming for the standard and then missing out. Same applies here. This guy needs to stop thinking about 3 hours. It will just stunt his improvement. Aim for 2:55 or even 2:50 in his next training cycle and he'll get the sub 3.

The whole not celebrating after is ridiculous. Perspective. I was in Auschwitz last week. That was a disaster. This is a minor inconvenience. How old is he? Is he injury free? No reason why he can't nail (and more) it next time with a change in attitude.

Sorry for being harsh. And I can relate. I targeted sub 55 for 400m last season, and what did I run? 55.00!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Not sure which part of my post is over the top??
    I think it's natural to feel really sympathetic with a clubmate who missed a huge goal by a cruel margin.
    Yes nobody died. The OP is more of a frienship/social/motivate question than an OMG call 911 :)
    He'll be back better than before for DCM14 and even nicer to do it on home soil maybe?
    Again, I might have the wrong person here..but ultimatley. Enjoy the great runs and dust off the bad ones I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Alicano wrote: »
    Not sure which part of my post is over the top??
    I think it's natural to feel really sympathetic with a clubmate who missed a huge goal by a cruel margin.
    Yes nobody died. The OP is more of a frienship/social/motivate question than an OMG call 911 :)
    He'll be back better than before for DCM14 and even nicer to do it on home soil maybe?
    Again, I might have the wrong person here..but ultimatley. Enjoy the great runs and dust off the bad ones I say.

I recall one poster here running 3:00:00. He got the sub 3 after that. It will happen, assuming he learns from his mistakes this time around, and keeps pushing for improvement.

Advertisement