Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in Belfast City

Options
  • 14-04-2014 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

I'll be spending a few nights in Belfast in May for my birthday and want to do a nice few runs whilst there. I don't know where I'll be staying (it's a surprise) but it'll be at/near city centre. I have a tendency to get lost easily:o so ideally I'd like to run in a park. Are there any decent sized parks in the centre or near centre of the city that would be suitable for a 10ish mile run?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'll be spending a few nights in Belfast in May for my birthday and want to do a nice few runs whilst there. I don't know where I'll be staying (it's a surprise) but it'll be at/near city centre. I have a tendency to get lost easily:o so ideally I'd like to run in a park. Are there any decent sized parks in the centre or near centre of the city that would be suitable for a 10ish mile run?
    thanks!
    You can run along the river from the city centre back towards Lisburn. It's really nice and there is a trail pretty much the whole way. You can't get lost, because you'll never stray far from the river. I'll dig out a garmin log of the last one I did. here. Belfast wouldn't be known for its parks imo, but there is a very straightforward 1.5km loop in victoria park (there's a parkrun there too) similar loop also in the waterworks park in North of city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

plodder wrote: »
    You can run along the river from the city centre back towards Lisburn. It's really nice and there is a trail pretty much the whole way. You can't get lost, because you'll never stray far from the river. I'll dig out a garmin log of the last one I did.

that sounds like a lovely run. Betchya I'll manage to get lost though:D
    Would appreciate the link at some stage, no rush ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

No idea where in Belfast but a new trail has opened up. Supposed to have amazing views.

http://www.walkni.com/news/6957/spectacular-skyline-views-open-up-over-belfast/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did ya look at the selection of Belfast-based Parkruns? There are 5/6 in the vicinity of the city. Even if you don't enter the run itself, it might give you some run location ideas.

Did ya look at the selection of Belfast-based Parkruns? There are 5/6 in the vicinity of the city. Even if you don't enter the run itself, it might give you some run location ideas.

Super idea. I won't be there on a Saturday but yes it'll give me a perfect list of suitable runs. TA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Hi Ososlo

One of my top runs this year was only two Sundays ago along the Lagan from Stranmillis in South Belfast down as far as Drumbeg Church and back. It's detailed in this post, includes a Garmin link.

Lovely riverside scenery,super well maintained, flat, and felt very safe.

There's more information here.

I can't wait to go back up and do Belfast to Lisburn and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

that sounds like a lovely run. Betchya I'll manage to get lost though:D
    Would appreciate the link at some stage, no rush ta.
    Basically, you'd start somewhere around the Waterfront Hall which is close enough to all the city centre hotels and just head along the path beside the river. There might be one or two places near the start where you have to cross the road, but after that the path is separate. After a couple of miles, it'll feel like the countryside. It's really very nice (and flat too).

Many thanks for all the really helpful suggestions folks. I'm really looking forward to it and great to have some runs planned in advance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Currently in Belfast and just back from a lovely run along the embankment by the river, that brought me to Ormeau Park. Lovely little park with a nice path loop and also a short trail section if you fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

thanks!
    Does the person who is taking you to Belfast know you are bringing the runners? :rolleyes: Belfast is fab, great restaurants, hotels and shops, its super easy to find your way around. As advised followed the river for your run!

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Does the person who is taking you to Belfast know you are bringing the runners? :rolleyes: Belfast is fab, great restaurants, hotels and shops, its super easy to find your way around. As advised followed the river for your run!
    Oh yes! My birthday so my rules. At least a double every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Oh yes! My birthday so my rules. At least a double every day!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SamforMayo wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Maybe I should go on my own:D

Advertisement