Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics or engineering?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm in 5th year in school and trying to gage some sort of idea for what to put on my CAO next year. Physics is definitely my favourite subject in school (and my strongest) and I think I'd like to persue a career in that area. However, I'm torn between studying engineering or doing a degree in physics. Has anyone any pointers on which is better suited to what type of person etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I'm an engineering student at TCD myself and i think the decider between engineering and physics can be summed up in one question:

Do you like the theoretical side of things more, or would you prefer the applications of the theory?

For instance in leaving cert physics do you enjoy the labs and the resulting write ups? Or would be happy just learning all the principles, theories etc behind the labs?

The nice thing about engineering is that the first few years are extremely broad (can be a downside though depending on how you look at it). So there's a chance to get a taste of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Eoin247 wrote: »
    I'm an engineering student at TCD myself and i think the decider between engineering and physics can be summed up in one question:

Do you like the theoretical side of things more, or would you prefer the applications of the theory?

For instance in leaving cert physics do you enjoy the labs and the resulting write ups? Or would be happy just learning all the principles, theories etc behind the labs?

The nice thing about engineering is that the first few years are extremely broad (can be a downside though depending on how you look at it). So there's a chance to get a taste of everything.

I did a year of TCD Science (Physics and Maths), and I'm not sure I agree with the above. The LC Physics experiments aren't exactly entertaining, so not being inspired by them wouldn't be a surprise.

There is still a significant practical element to Physics in TCD (though less in TPhys).

But, I do agree with what was said about the content of Physics being more theoretical and abstract.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Do you want to know why the universe works the way it does, or do you just wanna know how it works and make lots of money?

Advertisement